Question

Apparent bug -- Android app 8.2.1 no longer displays notification

• 23 November 2017
  • 1 reply

Sonos Android app, version 8.2.1, running in Android 8.0.0 on Nexus 5X

In the app's "Advanced" settings, I have both "Show Notifications" and "Show lock screen controls" enabled.

In the Android settings, under "Apps & Notifications", the Sonos app's notifications are not blocked.

Until a few days ago (I would guess the update to Sonos app 8.2.1 or 8.2.0, but not certain), whenever the Sonos app was playing music, an Android notification was visible.

Now, it is not.

Android notifications are still working normally for all apps other than Sonos app.

Yes, I've rebooted.

No, I haven't reinstalled the app.

Why does this matter?

Apart from the general function of the notification, like being able to quickly pause or switch, of course with no notification, the notification volume control is not available. The volume control in the app itself is often not very usable because it disappears after a few seconds, so if one is making gradual adjustments it is quite annoying. In contrast, the volume adjustment from the notification stays open as long as you want it to.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Some additional information: The problem begins when I use Alexa (on an Echo; I don't have a Sonos One) to play music on Sonos. There is no notification.

That much is clear. The notification eventually comes back when I play music using the Sonos app, but not always immediately. One possibility (I have not tested extensively) is that if I use the Sonos app to play on the same group or speaker that Alexa was using, then the notification doesn't appear, but if I switch to a different group or speaker then the notification does re-appear.

Thanks. I don't need help on this because I can manage now, but if there's anyone from Sonos monitoring, please report this to your QA/dev teams.