App feedback 8.2

• 14 November 2017
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Are you aiming to create the world's most unfriendly UI? This update is shockingly bad. I can't begin to describe why because it is just rotten through and through, so where to begin? I know that's not very constructive and I'm sorry about that but, just listen to your customers. Just go back to 7 point something and we'll all be a lot happier.

While you're at it could you stop pumping out so many updates. Once a month. Max.

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ah - an update! Maybe Sonos have listened to the howls of criticism and at the very least got rid of the awful searchlight white theme…

Nope. The only obvious visual feature is at the top of the (too bright) now playing screen, which hints at something behind it and moves the drop-down button to the centre.

One thing’s for sure - until they sort the ruined app out I’m not buying any more hardware. Come on Sonos, listen to your followers and take your collective head out of your arse.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Some people really need to learn about software development cycles. :8

Wow. More condescending remarks from the person that thinks Sonos can do no wrong, and will defend every single horrible decision they make. 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You're right, in that most people don't know about software development cycles. But should they have to?? Most people don't understand avionics either -- they just expect them to work.

Andrew
Userlevel 3
Badge
I shouldn't need to know anything about software development cycles as I am the consumer and I am complaining that the software product they have released is awful. The new app is horrid and confusing and makes the whole Sonos experience a true battle to find anything. It used to be a well designed app, now you cant find anything without going two screens deep. I haven't heard that any changes are coming, I have an open ticket with them and they have not asked me what I don't like nor told me that they are working on it. If you want some commentary on what's wrong, look at the user forum it's filled full of unhappy persons complaining about the new release and wanting the old one back. If you can't roll it back then make it work like the old one did and put an advanced button on there with the new interface. This isn't a case of a couple buttons got rearranged, this is more like the whole user interface was redesigned with no regard to how people use the app.
Userlevel 1
I was also hoping that this update would show that Sonos had at last listened to the vast majority of users who hate the new interface and bright white background - but it now seems clear that they have no intention of fixing these problems. I'm holding off any further purchases - I was going to get two Play 5's but am seriously considering ditching all my Sonos gear.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I was hoping the 8.2 update would address the awful user interface, but nope, it's just as bad if not worse. At this point the app is absolutely worthless unless you just want to get frustrated.
I can see both sides. Absolutely agree that if you don't know how software gets developed, then don't assume changes can be made easily and quickly. On the other hand, the control interface is important to a lot of people, and the frustration is understandable. I like old interface better, but I don't fully hate this one either.

I also get why people want acknowledgement that they'd been heard and dates when things will change. I respect Sonos stance on this, as the principle serves them well most of the time.

I like the Amazon approach to software updates. A few weeks ago they released their new line of Echo speakers and many people complained they not only didn't sound better than the original model but actually were not as good. Instead of trying to justify what they had delivered they got busy and had a firmware fix rolled out within a couple of weeks. Regardless if it is reasonable or not this is setting a standard for the kind of response customers will expect to see when they complain to companies about a bad product user experience that can be fixed through software/firmware.
found that the app has become slow.When you want to change the song in the Play list, it takes some time before it performs.Is it only me who experience this?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Well said, Pnimm. It's blatantly obvious that Sonos developers / management have absolutely zero regard for what is known as a USE CASE.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Still, look on the bright side. All those updates to look forward to.
Userlevel 2
Perhaps if all the owners went to the Apple/Android store and started reviewing it 1 star it would make an impact.
I did already in the IOS store... I had previously had a 5 star review...
I can see both sides. Absolutely agree that if you don't know how software gets developed, then don't assume changes can be made easily and quickly. On the other hand, the control interface is important to a lot of people, and the frustration is understandable. I like old interface better, but I don't fully hate this one either.

I also get why people want acknowledgement that they'd been heard and dates when things will change. I respect Sonos stance on this, as the principle serves them well most of the time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

You must be referring to the sonos product manager that didn't foresee time to incorporate beta feedback, prior to the official go live.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Im new to sonos and like the app, and as far as updates go the more the merrier for me!
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
It's nosedived already on the Google Play reviews.

For a company to release such a poor app and then ignore the majority of their customers is mind boggling imho (awaits for some sarcastic comment).

I was eyeing up space for a Play 3 or 5 in the kitchen, then though not a chance until the app is sorted out..
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Im new to sonos and like the app, and as far as updates go the more the merrier for me!

I was unfortunate enough to have 3 weeks of 7.4 to see how good it should be, to be fair you've been very lucky starting on 8.0 with nothing to compare it to..
Badge +1
It's nosedived already on the Google Play reviews.

For a company to release such a poor app and then ignore the majority of their customers is mind boggling imho (awaits for some sarcastic comment).

I was eyeing up space for a Play 3 or 5 in the kitchen, then though not a chance until the app is sorted out..
I agree completely.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Regardless of how software development cycles work Sonos needs to address the 8.1 and 8.2 interfaces as they SUCK. My case has disappeared from the support portal so my only hope is that they are reading the forums. Sonos appears to be more interested in the stupid Sonos one speaker thing than supporting the customers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I was hoping the 8.2 update would address the awful user interface, but nope, it's just as bad if not worse. At this point the app is absolutely worthless unless you just want to get frustrated.

Indeed. Just upped to 8.2.2 (one can only hope) and the now playing looks even worse now - someone at Sonos most really hate that screen - while not a single issue has been addressed.

You're right, in that most people don't know about software development cycles. But should they have to?? Most people don't understand avionics either -- they just expect them to work.

Andrew

That's a terrific response, thanks. I use a Raspberry Pi to automate my house with Z-Wave. It doesn't make me one bit happier that my Sonos app is a piece of crap.
I don't know how a restaurant works, but if they bring me cold food or the wrong order, I tell them about it, and they fix it. They don't suggest I learn about the restaurant business. Sonos isn't responding to complaints.
Speaking as an iOS app developer - there're some VERY fundamental issues with the iOS app.

I'll just say there's some great engineering going on in terms of services but very little effort on the UI/UX side.

Andrew

They don't expect avionics to work before they are fully designed, implemented, unit tested, QA tested, Alpha/Beta released, and then finally installed on planes used by the public, do they?

Changes are coming. Some were already released, some are set for release soon, others for later. Those are the facts, and complaining about them does nothing to speed that up. Instead, why not give some rational and well thought out commentary on what you like and do not like about the new interface so they can get your requests into software development cycle for future release?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Unlike, it would seem many, others I have bothered to look through all the app and its uses. Some nice layout changes which are most welcome.

It is still very much a work in progress, which is mildly irritating but nothing to scream about, and remains not there at all. In the view that Sonos release a brand new spanking speaker which utilises a BETA skill...BETA!!!!!...may indicate that the development got delayed and got caught up with other plans. The sooner they get this sorted out the better.

I have detailed my likes and dislikes on another thread, rather than just holding my breath until I turn blue then screaming because something has changed, and I repeat that instead of pointless and extemely unhelpful whining explain what annoys you, why and a suggested remedy.

I rather like the new white background. I like the new layout, far more sensible.