App connection issue

So I own 4 play:1 for a couple of years now and this always happened. I’m trying to figure out if it’s fixable because I’m considering the addition of the Sonos Move to the set-up. 

Problem is simple : I get the message that the app cannot connect to the sonos product at any random moment. I get the message when the music is actually playing and let’s say I want to change the song, or just pause it for some reason. I thought it was my phone that was getting old, but then I still get the message after an upgrade to an iPhone 11. However, I do not encounter that issue with my wife’s Samsung Galaxy S10 (is there a known issue with IOS?). That brings me to think that it is not an network/wifi problem.

This problem prevented me to get the Beam and before looking elsewhere for a Sonos Move equivalant, I figured I could ask here.

I’m one of those who actually like the Sonos App and the combination of all my streaming services. Also, I don’t mind the price tag of the Move, but at this price tag, it just needs to work.

Has anyone had this issue ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @spaquin, thanks for your interest and welcome to the community! Let’s check your system first and help you out but you can always add up to 32 Sonos devices per household. Since you said it’s only happening on iOS devices, can you please submit a diagnostic from the device you’re having trouble with? Make sure to submit it after getting the problem and also it would be best to submit it as well on the working device. Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

Hi @Krishma M 

Thank you for your quick reply.
This morning it hapened again. More specifically, I started the music on all my 4 speakers and immediatly after I wanted to mute one of them. The app could just not connect to my speakers. 
The only solution I found in time when it happens is to restart my phone. 
I did as you suggested in your reply and submitted a diagnostic. Oddly though, my attempt to do so was not working until I re-booted my phone. I suppose the whole connection between the app and the speaker becomes unreliable when it happens.

The diagnostic number is 680507704.

i did sent the diagnostic report a second time right after when everything was working : 955957071.

I hope it helps in fixing the issue.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @spaquin, thanks for the diagnostics. If it’s okay now after reboot, observe the connection and please let us know if you'll encounter it again. Reply to us with the model of your Sagemcom router for further checking on our end. Just let us know, we’re here to help. Thanks! 

Hello @Krishma M ,

My modem was provided to me by the internet supplier in June 2019 (so pretty new aslo). But again, if the problem comes from the internet connection, it would not work on my wifés Samsumg device.

And to be honest rebooting my iPhone everytime the connection fails on me is not what I call a solution. Especially when I try to skip a song with guests in the house.

So my initial question remains: is there a known connection issue between the Sonos App and IOS ?

Thanks,

SP

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @spaquin, thanks for your response. I understand that it’s fine with your wife’s phone and it should perfectly work with your iPhone as well. Yes, it’s not okay to reboot your phone every now and then just to fix it. It would be best if you can give the model of your modem and router so we can check it on our end if there’s a known issue why you’re experiencing that. 

It is our pleasure. We and the community are always here to help.

Hello @Krishma M 

I am now using a Sagemcom Fast 5566. I really hopes ot helps.

Thanks

SP

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @spaquin, thanks again. I found no issues with that but have you tried rebooting your router? Like disconnect it from power for 5 to 10 seconds then connect it back to power. If it will still be the same, do you have other devices that you can try, like another iOS if possible? If not, remove the Sonos app from your phone and reinstall it again. Check if there’s an available software update on your phone as well. 

If it’s all set and tried, try to change your router’s wireless channel from channel 11 to 1/6 if it will make any difference, and lastly hardwire one speaker to your router using an ethernet cable. 

These will be my best suggestions for your case. Keep us posted. We and the community are always here to help.

Hello @Krishma M

Let me share with you what I’ve tried so far :

• Rebooted the router several time, disconnection from the app still happens
  • Tried with an Ipad. disconnection from the app still happens from time to time
  • Removed and reinstall the Sonos app from my phone, app could not find my network afterwards so I had reboot my phone, than it worked bu the disconnection from the app still happense from time to time
  • Update software: I’m always running the latest version of any app available
  • Hardwire one speaker using ethernet cable: I refuse to consider this as an option because it defeats the sole purpose of a wireless speaker.

After all these attemps for the last 2 months since I asked my question, yet I still experience on a non-regular basis a “disconnection” from the app to my speaker. Sometime when I try to put the music and sometime when I try to close the music. Imagine the irony, the app cannot find my speaker to shut them off but they still play music !

I am really putting an effort into finding a solution because I an looking to expand my music experience outdoor. For that purpose I was thinking about the move or the Outdoors or passive speakers with the Amp. 

I recognise the high quality of the sound that Sonos speakers delivers, but sadly, I can’t justify pursuing investing in this echo system given the absence of consistence in the reliability of the app. The app represents the most convenience way to use these intelligent speakers, therefore it should be perfectly working 100% of the time as long as it is connected to the wifi. I just don’t feel it delivers such reliability.

I thank you for your help and support, @Krishma M , and I really hope Sonos will fix that issue.

I’m curious if at any point during these router reboots, you’ve had all Sonos devices unplugged?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Thanks for the responses and assistance. Yes, it would be best to unplug all the network devices like modem, router, access points, and all Sonos devices. Wait for 5-10 seconds then connect back the router and other network devices you unplugged. Once the internet is back, connect all the Sonos devices back to power. Reboot the controllers like your phone you use to control Sonos and observe. Submit another diagnostic after doing these steps and I understand that Sonos was designed to work wirelessly but if we’ve done enough, it’s still best to try hardwiring it to the router using the ethernet cable to isolate the problem. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here.

Hi @Airgetlam and @Krishma M ,

As both of you pointed out, I haven’t tried to unplug everything at the same time. I guess we’re looking to “reset” everything here, I will give it a shot and keep you posted on the results.

So if I understand correcly, hardwiring one speaker should fix the issue for the 4 of them @Krishma M ? Though it is not my prefered solution, I could temporarly relocate one speaker next to the router for a while just to see if fixes the issue.

Hi @Airgetlam and @Krishma M ,

As both of you pointed out, I haven’t tried to unplug everything at the same time. I guess we’re looking to “reset” everything here, I will give it a shot and keep you posted on the results.

So if I understand correcly, hardwiring one speaker should fix the issue for the 4 of them @Krishma M ? Though it is not my prefered solution, I could temporarly relocate one speaker next to the router for a while just to see if fixes the issue.

Don’t put the wired device too close to the router - if you can keep it a few feet away at least, but the further, the better.

Also if you have already now switched off the channel auto-select on your router and set it to either fixed channel 1 or 6 on the 2.4ghz band, then also go into the Sonos App and set the SonosNet channel in ‘Settings/System/Network’ so that it is at least 5 channels away from the chosen router channel.

I just want to flag that this issue sounds very similar to what I have been experiencing. I hope that this thread resolves the issue so that I can get my own system working properly (5 * Play:1 +  1* Beam).

Hello @Krishma M ,

I did the step by step reset you explained (unplug modem, unplug speakers, wait, plug back modem, plug back speakers, restart phone) and sent a diagnostic (#440952715). We’ll see if it works and will keep updated.

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths , if it comes to that I’ll make sure to keep a reasonnable distance between the speaker and the modem and look at the channel on my settings.