Question

App and speaker latest update

• 27 January 2018
  • 3 replies

The app just updated to the latest version then when I opened it it asked to update the speakers. I read the update and it said it was for a couple small improvements and no where at all it said that if you have a sonos speaker plugged into a access point that you will NO LONGER AFTER THIS UPDATE WILl YOU BE ABLE TO GROUP PLAY WITH OTHER SPEAKERS IN OTHER ROOMS . It now straight after the updated app and speakers firmware , states that the speaker I have plugged in through the access point will be unable to be grouped with any other speakers in the entire network , I would have to purchase a boost to do this . The group functionality was working fine and because of the misleading and false description not including all the changes the app will make if i update it , I want to be sent a firmware so I can downgrade and a link to downgrade my app too. Or release another update that does not include this flaw and lets me group my speakers that are connected through access points. Why would you do this update other than a plan of making more money forcing people to by expensive boost devices. So I just want to make it clear that I was not made aware of this in the update description and that is illegal. You have to outline all the changes or possible impacts when you release a update and you did not so please fix this ASAP so I can group my speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I couldnt agree more. Sonos is a very sneaky company that wants to cash grab at every point. They advertise their products as these far superior speakers when in reality, they are overpriced and unfunctional. The app is unusable and unless using a line in connection, songs will never play through to the end, they will always skip, and pause randomly. Basically, before you get too invested in sonos, get out asap. It will only get worse. Next thing you know they will be forcing you to buy “sonos bridge” “sonos connect” “sonos blah blah” just to power on the speakers. If its not too late to return them you definitely should try out a more reliable option
simo.t

I'm not sure I understand the issue you're having. After the update, there should be no requirement change, your system should work in the same fashion as it did before hand. No need to buy a BOOST or BRIDGE to do the same things.

What i think I'm getting out of your post is that you have speakers on multiple access points, which isn't something that Sonos supports, and never has. I'm wondering if there was a change that occurred in your speakers' network connection as they reconnected after the reboot caused by the software update.

Do you have one of your speakers connected to your router with an ethernet cable? How many speakers do you have? Are you on version 8.4 across the board? Why are you talking about access points, how many do you have, and how are they set up?

More information might help those here in this community who have better networking knowledge than I get you back to the same state you were in before the update.

And no, unfortunately, Sonos doesn't support retrograde updating. Once you've updated, there's no way to get back. But for your case, I don't think it's the software update that's causing the issue, it's likely something else....if I'm reading your post correctly.
JoshuaKatzio,

If you're having issues, I'd highly recommend either posting a new thread with details, or even better, call Sonos to discuss it. Most people who do seem to come away satisfied, and with a stable system that works as designed, based on the multitude of posts I've seen on those who avail themselves of the help line.