Answered

Any reasons NOT to upgrade from Sonos version 7.1 to S1 11.2.4?

• 16 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I’m currently on Sonos version 7.1. Haven’t used my system for a while and am now wondering whether to upgrade to S1 11.2.4?

System Info:

• Sonos Connect ZP90, digital out to HiFi system
  • music files in iTunes library
  • macOS El Capitan planning to upgrade to Mojave, possibly Catalina shortly.
  • mainly using desktop controller version 7.1 as interface, iPhone (iOS 13) as remote only

Does anyone here think there are advantages staying at 7.1? Or is there a unanimous consensus that 11.2.4 is the better option?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this...

icon

Best answer by Ralpfocus 17 February 2021, 10:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge

Since I upgrade to to S1 11.2.4 I lost a lot of my settings (greyed out). Error code 1011. Follow their instructions and even change the router. No luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

That's a big jump in versions, you might end up needing support from Sonos. You don't say how you think you will use the system but if it will be much the same as before why not wait and see if you need to.

Sonically nothing should have changed that will improve the digital output. The desktop controller has lost most of its capability to manage the system like adding new speakers 

You will probably need to add a password to your Sonos account which you have forgotten you have got.

On the reasons to update there may be some services that you can now get that were not available back then. A trawl through the Sonos update page will identify most of these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you upgrade your Mac OS then you will surely need to upgrade your Sonos system as well, as iTunes has been through major churn in this timeframe and required a lot of changes on the Sonos side to stay compatible.

You will of course lose most of the configuration features from the Desktop controller when making this jump, but you can still do that from your iPhone.

Since I upgrade to to S1 11.2.4 I lost a lot of my settings (greyed out). Error code 1011. Follow their instructions and even change the router. No luck.

@Dlacroix08 - Could you please be more specific regarding what Sonos hardware you are using and what control device and operating system (macOS / iOS, Android, Microsoft, etc.)?

Cheers

That's a big jump in versions, you might end up needing support from Sonos. You don't say how you think you will use the system but if it will be much the same as before why not wait and see if you need to.

Sonically nothing should have changed that will improve the digital output. The desktop controller has lost most of its capability to manage the system like adding new speakers 

You will probably need to add a password to your Sonos account which you have forgotten you have got.

On the reasons to update there may be some services that you can now get that were not available back then. A trawl through the Sonos update page will identify most of these.

@Ralpfocus - Thank you for your reply. I will use it as described in my post, no changes planned...

If you upgrade your Mac OS then you will surely need to upgrade your Sonos system as well, as iTunes has been through major churn in this timeframe and required a lot of changes on the Sonos side to stay compatible.

You will of course lose most of the configuration features from the Desktop controller when making this jump, but you can still do that from your iPhone.

@controlav - Thank you for your input, some useful points you make. I will do a clean install of Mojave, rather than an upgrade. I still have the SonosDesktopController622.dmg file and plan to use this to install the DC once I have installed Mojave. My Connect is on version 7.1, though. Not sure how this will work out, i.e. can I use DC version 6.2.2 to control a Connect on version 7.1? If not, I guess I will be forced to upgrade both the desktop controller and Connect all the way to 11.2.4.  Or is there a way to upgrade only the DC from 6.2.2 to v. 7.1?

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Clean installing MacOS makes no difference to the iTunes problem: you will need to go to the latest S1 firmware (and Desktop controller) to be compatible with the latest iTunes changes.  Nothing else matters really.

Badge

@Dlacroix08 - Could you please be more specific regarding what Sonos hardware you are using and what control device and operating system (macOS / iOS, Android, Microsoft, etc.)?

Cheers

Hi BlueFunk

My setup is (2) Connect:Amp - (2) Connect - (1) ZP100 - Boost
Control devices: Ipad air2 (IOS14.4) - Samsung phone Galaxy J3 Prime (Android 8.1.0) - Samsung Tablet SM-T510 (Android 10) -Windows PC 10 
Use SONOS S1app.
All parameters are grayed out. As soon as I press one of the options the system wants to update the application, why? I press OK then the system show this message UPDATE PROBLEM  instantly.  First error code 1011 - So I've decided to change the router ( I rent a new router from my Internet supplier) now I getting error code 1101? Same thing is happening.

Badge

UPDATE PROBLEM SOLVE.

The issue was that the update was trying to connect to the wrong site somehow. Clearing a setting resolved this

The  answer came from  User951422

Here is the command they got me to run where the XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is my device Ip address. Hope this helps....

Martin W (20/07/2020, 09:59:06): Cool. Can you visit the following website for me: http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/removestring
null (20/07/2020, 09:59:40): ok what do i put in
Martin W (20/07/2020, 09:59:56): And under 'Remove System Settings' type: OnlineUpdateBaseURL into the settings filed. Then hit submit.
null (20/07/2020, 10:00:27): done
Martin W (20/07/2020, 10:00:43): Ok, can you submit a fresh diagnostic for me now?
null (20/07/2020, 10:01:25): try update or just diagnostic
Martin W (20/07/2020, 10:01:30): diagnostic first please
null (20/07/2020, 10:02:09): 1296130748
Martin W (20/07/2020, 10:02:55): Ok, try the update again now please
null (20/07/2020, 10:03:52): it has got further than before. looks like it is updating
nu