Any plans to update S2 app beyond bug & firmware (e.g. UI)?

Badge

We have a large investment in our Sonos system, and use the S2 apps on MacOS and iOS/iPadOS (all current OS versions), With the exception of bug fixes and firmware updates, I haven’t seen a single user interface update since its release. Note that while we have an AppleTV (and 3 Apple Watches), we never use either to control Sonos, so I’m not looking for apps on those OSs - just updates to iOS would be sufficient though sync’ing the UI in MacOS and iOS would be very much appreciated.

Given Sonos’s premium market positioning (and cost), I expect that at a minimum there would be updates and improvements to the UI, making it more current and better organized like other apps and systems. At least some functionality improvements should be included as well. The app is completely static from the user standpoint. 

Are there any plans or projects in the works to update the app’s UI and features? If so, can you provide details as to some of the possible changes as well as rough timeline? I’m considering scrapping our entire investment in our system because of the significant limitations in the app. I’d bypass it and use AirPlay but that’s not possible in our 3-5 year old system, nor is that ideal. 

4 replies

It’s unlikely to get Sonos to release any roadmap or plans of what they’re either working on currently, or have scheduled, given the fact that they’re in a competitive market segment, and tipping that information to other companies would be counter productive.

You certainly have the option, as many have done is these forums, to express more specific issues and requests for improvements in the Sonos software, and those requests seem to be passed on to the teams. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure what improvements you mean. I personally really like my apps to behave consistently and not change constantly. I am still looking for some lesser used possibilities in the recently “upgraded” Philips Hue app, for intance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What features would you like to see? What do you feel are the “significant limitations”?

The app is just a remote control for the system and so changes when there is new functionality to control.

There was a significant revision of the UI of the mobile app about 4 (?) years ago. I find it easy to use.

But I am sure it isn't perfect and so it would be good to hear any specific ways in which you think it should be changed. 

Sonos have stated that the desktop apps will not be developed further. Indeed, most system management functions were removed. 

Voice control has since been added, of course. There is absolutely no possibility of the Mac app being developed further, and in my view no need.