Any Bluetooth Button That Can Control Sonos

Badge
There's a number of Bluetooth Buttons on Amazon and I've tried several to control the Volume, Pause/Play, and FF but they only seem so control the Volume on my iPads/iPods.
Does anyone know of a BT button that will work with Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Sonos doesn't natively support Bluetooth, in any shape or form.
Badge
I'm not talking about controlling the Sonos speaker directly with BT as they only use WiFi, I'm talking about controlling it through the app on an iPhone or iPod. I believe that falls to the BT button manufacturer. I have a BT button that I use in my car that can control Slacker (pause, stop.skip song and can even open Siri) and BT is not not native to Slacker.
Ah, okay. Obviously the focus is not on the Sonos controller app. Did you try enabling lockscreen controls?
Badge
Oh I haven't tried that, I'll check it out when I get home, thanks
Badge
Ok tried that but it still only controls volume. Well it was worth a shot.
This one CLAIMS to do a bit more than volume on Sonos, but have you tried it already?

https://flic.io/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No, you can start and stop radio or music sources or skip back or forward to next or previous track.

No, you can start and stop radio or music sources or skip back or forward to next or previous track.

I think AJF meant that enabling lockscreen controls didn't improve the functionality of the BT button.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Shrugs shoulders.
Shrugs shoulders.
Fair point....

@AJF - the gain from this seems pretty small. What's the appeal? I think I'll wait for native Sonos voice control.
Badge
The main reason I'd like to be able to control the simplest of functions is:

In our kitchen we have a Sonos that my wife uses and she doesn't have her phone with her.
I have one in our bathroom and I'd like to change the volume and skip a song while I'm in the shower. The Flic would be perfect for the shower since it's waterproof.
There's other places where we don't have our phones or tablets where I'd like to have a simple button for control.

Everything I've tried will control volume only on Sonos, but all functions on iTunes .
I even think it would be great if they made a touchscreen like they originally made so you can use that too. In our previous house I had installed a whole house music system by Niles, and every room that had speakers, also had a wall controller. I recently was able to wall mount some iPod Touch's in some rooms which work really well.
I used a RaspberryPi to control the SONOS speakers with Bluetooth Buttons. A Tutorial how to archive this can be found here: http://robstechlog.com/2017/09/05/control-sonos-speaker-bluetooth-buttons/
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I am using Flic buttons (flic.io) with SonoSequencr (because i wrote the app...). Maybe this is what you are looking for. But you can only start three different actions (single-, double-, long press) with one button.
I am using Flic buttons (flic.io) with SonoSequencr (because i wrote the app...). Maybe this is what you are looking for. But you can only start three different actions (single-, double-, long press) with one button.

If I buy your app. How do I get the Flic button to work with your app? Can I have 1 Flic in the shower to go to next song,pause/play and previous song? And another in the bedroom that for example sets a 15 sleep timer?

Many thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
First you have to pair your button with your device using the flic app, probably you already did this if you used your flic.Then go to SonoSequencr and hit settings (right bottom corner) then select "Flic Buttons". Here you can "link" one or more flic buttons with SonoSequencr. After that you are able to select your button and the action (click, double click..) on each sequence you created with SonoSequencr (press the edit button on the top left and then select the sequence you want to add filc functionality). Just to make sure: For your first use case (shower) you will not need SonoSequencr. You can setup these "standard" actions in the flic app itself. If you want to run more "complex" things like your sleep timer you can use SonoSequencr. If you have more questions or troubles with your flic inside SonoSequencr you can also open a support ticket within the app and i will try to help you...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First Marcus is great and you should buy Sonosequencr just to have.

There of course is the button designed specifically to use with Sonos https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/xpress-audio-keypad.html
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Not Bluetooth, but Lutron PICO Remotes can control Sonos Speakers. You have to have a Lutron Caseta Bridge (