Question

Android volume controls not working

• 29 August 2017
  • 6 replies

How can I adjust the volume of my Sonos speakers from Android Google Play Music or the home screen?

Background:
When using Google Play Music or from the Android home screen, the hardware volume keys don't adjust the volume. The hardware volume keys do work from the Sonos app, I can adjust the volume only if Sonos is open.

I've also noticed the Sonos app does not show a notification.

In advanced settings I've enabled "Show Notifications" and "Allow Volume Control on Home Screen"

Diagnostic info: 7776465

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have the same issue will all my devices (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Huawei P9 lite). It worked perfectly until some weeks ago. Now the only way to change volume is by entering the Sonos app. Any suggestion?
Same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge... A bug in the latest sonos app/firmware update has stopped volume controls on Google play music working with all my sonos gear.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This problem: an Android Google Play Music (GPM) app that's casting to Sonos loses its ability to control the volume of Sonos; also began for me about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The problem occurs for me on various Android devices and occurs with different Sonos systems, so it's clearly a software problem with either Sonos or the GPM Android app.

Also: once the GPM app has lost its ability to control Sonos volume, if I either (i) restart the Android device or (ii) Force stop then relaunch the GPM app, then the GPM app recovers (for a while) its ability to control the volume of the Sonos device(s) its casting to.

This suggests to me the problem is the result of a change Google made to the GPM app a few weeks ago. This GPM problem began to manifest a couple of weeks before I installed the latest Sonos update, which indicates it's nothing to do with that latest Sonos update.

My past experience of trying to get faults fixed in the GPM app that affect GPM/Sonos integration is that ***they only ever get fixed if Sonos staff get involved and flag the fault up with Google***. Without Sonos's direct involvement, it's almost impossible for regular GPM customers to ever get anyone at Google to take note of the problem.

Therefore, I'd recommend that anyone affected by this problem submits diagnostics and contacts Sonos support to see if they can help progress it with Google.

It's maybe worth mentioning that the *title* of this thread isn't really that useful, since it fails to mention Google Play Music, and the thread should perhaps lie in either the Music Services & Sources or Troubleshooting sub-forums.
Hello all, apologies for the late response, we wanted to check in to see if you were still having issues with volume control on your Android devices. We haven't seen any trends with this issue, so we'd like to take a look at them one at a time. If you're still having issues, please follow the steps here for a diagnostic and send us the confirmation.

Dan DDB We didn't see anything unusual in your diagnostic, are you still experiencing the issue?
It started to work again some days ago. Thank you
Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue on my Huawei P9. All worked fine until a couple of months ago. Gone through most things here, but I can't find a way if controlling sonos volume by my phone when it is locked.
What am I missing (apart from my patience!)