Android - mute on incoming calls

• 17 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
I see this has been discussed the past few years, but is this a feature/setting that is available? Ability to mute system/device when calls come in?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, joeybrown105. There isn't a native feature that does this, although it's certainly a great idea. I will be happy to forward your suggestion along to the team. Thanks for the feedback.
Hi Keith N, I have the same request for Iphone. I was very surprised to learn there is no possibility to mute the system when a call comes in. What do you do, when playing loud music from your phone app and a call comes in?
The music isn't playing from the phone app. The phone app tells the speaker where to go and get the music from. Your phone is no longer part of the equation at that point.
Hi Airgetlam, thank you, you are probably right, but it doesn't help me with my problem.
Agreed. I tend to think about the Sonos system much like an old stereo. It too, wouldn't turn down when my phone rang.

It would require, I think, a lot of additional coding for Sonos to be able to reach in to the Android code base, grab the signal that the phone is getting a call, then send that data over to the Sonos system to mute the speakers, and then grab a "phone call is over" signal, again send that over to the speakers, and resume volume. And then they'd need to do the same thing with iOS, too. And Windows phones, if those are supported. And which version of Android should they match? Are all of those identifiers the same across all versions? Once you've done phone calls. should you also reduce volume when getting texts, or playing games? It's a complex issue, to be sure.

But i understand your problem. I just don't have an easy solution for you.