Android Mobile Device streaming needs a Folder View like (Music Library\Folders).

• 4 October 2013
  • 21 replies

Sonos thx. for creating the Android Mobile Device streaming capability the only thing it needs now it the Folder View. Music genres, etc. are nice for iPhone folks but I (and possibly most Android users) like to categorize/organize my music (on my mobile device) into folders. Allowing parent level (down thru sub) folder playback would be icing on the cake. Similar to what the desktop/mobile controllers currently have (Music Library\Folders). Please add this capability to the next Android Mobile Device streaming update.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

hello sonos. the idea from william is great. please add this usefull function ( folders in android mobile devices) and make the sonos system perfectly.
best regards
Just got my first sonos the Play:5, great speaker! Only thing i really miss is this. I keep a lot of Mp3 files on my phone and they are not all tagged correct with artist album an so on. But a solution like this where it is sorted by folders would remove this problem all together + being easier to manage.

Really hoping for this change 🙂
Userlevel 1
another great idea, not that hopeful that Sonos will do anything about it.
I feel your pain, William. But does Sonos feel our pain?
I couldn't enjoy playing my own collection of music soundtracks because there is no 'folder play' option.  The existing listing of tracks mess up my whole compilation of songs and it is truly inconvenient to add individual music to queue one at a time.  End of the day, I couldn't even save the playlist on my phone because i don't have a NAS yet.

Sonos, this is an urgent update.  Please help Android users asap.  We deserve the same treatment as Apple users.
Userlevel 1
I got my self an mp3 tag editor and updated the folders to have an appropriate tag, sonos are slug like when it comes to communication and updates
I agree with this idea 100% I called cust svc about it and got no help that was solving this problem. Sonos, i spent a lot of money on this system and it does not do what a $40 belkin blue tooth device does.To get around this problem i connect the bluetooth device to the line in and connect my phone to the bluetooth device, then i can play music from my folder. It is a work around but i should not have to do this. Hurry up and fix this annoyance.
I have just invested another $1,500 to get around this problem. A Dlink 2-bay Nas, 2tb Nas Drive and Asus RT-AC66u router. Voila! The folder option becomes available in my Android app. I think the cheapest solution is get a Dlink iCloud and copy all the songs into it. But I'm more sad now because the money would be better spent on a few more Sonos speakers. Now I know what Sonos means: Spend On Nas Otherwise Sorry
I agree and I expect it for months.
When will Sonos will develop this standard and basic functionality yet ?When does Sonos 
I'm am very happy with my playbar. I miss the folderview in my Android phone. The idea from William is sent in for two years, But the idea  is still actuel. Please add this usefull function (folders in Android mobile devices) and make the sonos system perfectly. You have done this already for the music library. 
Userlevel 1
Feature still unavailable? I sort all my music by folder,which makes my android device almost unusable for streaming.
My first purchase from Sonos, Connect:Amp and I already regret it. Sound quality is above average, but nowhere near the top(like Bluesound). And mentioned above no possibility to add a folder function just means that Sonos guys do not care at all. 3 years of people`s requests and still no solution? It is a simple code, any IT student coud do this in a day. What happened to the ex best music system??? Time to move further, Sonos, you got stuck.
My first purchase from Sonos, Connect:Amp and I already regret it. Sound quality is above average, but nowhere near the top(like Bluesound). And mentioned above no possibility to add a folder function just means that Sonos guys do not care at all. 3 years of people`s requests and still no solution? It is a simple code, any IT student coud do this in a day. What happened to the ex best music system??? Time to move further, Sonos, you got stuck.

Ahhhhh, except there most certainly IS a folders view, as stated mid-way through this THREE YEAR OLD THREAD.

Nice going. Signed up to complain about Sonos and shill Bluesound and you had to pick this thread to embarrass yourself. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess the original thread is about a folder view for music residing on the phone (which there is not). But I have no idea what the poster is wanting or what bluesound has anything to do with the issue (if there even is one).
I guess the original thread is about a folder view for music residing on the phone (which there is not). But I have no idea what the poster is wanting or what bluesound has anything to do with the issue (if there even is one).

Re-reading the OP, I see that is true. But we are in agreement about the Bluesound shill and I highly doubt they even have Sonos to be able to distinguish between folders view on the library and folders view on the phone.

Lot of drive-by hit-piece posts lately. Maybe it's the 20% sales increase over the holidays.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree
Wow, such a good response! Nice. Only I struggle to find an answer to the solution in these clever replies.
jgatie, you mentioned that there IS an android folder view. "Room"->"On this Mobile Device" I find only Artists, Albums, Genres, Songs, Playlists and Podcasts options. No folder view. Should I be looking elsewhere? As I mentioned above it is my first Sonos purchase and it is possible that I am not getting something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no folder view for what is stored on your phone. If you put an nas drive on your network and put all your music there you will get better performance and folder view in index
There is no folder view for what is stored on your phone. If you put an nas drive on your network and put all your music there you will get better performance and folder view in index

Ok, so I need third party add-on to make it work. Not cool.
What do you mean about better performance? Sound quality, search/load speed or something else? I don`t really experience any issues with that.
Ahhhhh, except there most certainly IS a folders view, as stated mid-way through this THREE YEAR OLD THREAD.
Nice going. Signed up to complain about Sonos and shill Bluesound and you had to pick this thread to embarrass yourself. :8

jgatie, can you comment about folder view in sonos app? No one else seems to find it but you. Or do I have to say magic words to get your attention?: Bluesound it better.

jgatie, can you comment about folder view in sonos app? No one else seems to find it but you. Or do I have to say magic words to get your attention?: Bluesound it better.

As explained (does anybody even read threads anymore??!!), there is no folders view for content stored on a phone, only for your local library on an NAS or computer. And if "Bluesound it (sic) better", why are you here? Go buy Bluesound. Horses for courses and all.
[quote=jgatie]

does anybody even read threads anymore??!!
And if "Bluesound it (sic) better", why are you here? Go buy Bluesound

That was easy to get your attention. Sensitive people are so easy to predict :)
You are correct about people not reading threads.: I already answered your question earlier(I regret my Sonos purchase).
By the way this thread is about Android Mobile Device folder view, not NAS or computer.
Please read through before embarrassing yourself once more.