Question

Android lock screen volume controls

• 19 September 2020
  • 16 replies

Help!  I've used my phone's volume controls for Sonos since I started using it about four years ago. 

Now the functionality has disappeared. 

I've not changed any settings. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Sonos app.

I don't even see Sonos on my lockscreen any more.

Anyone aware of an issue or is it a Google update messing with things? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JRSB81. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate for bringing your concern to us and letting us know about it. I'll help you figure out what's happening. 

The volume buttons on your Android device can also control the volume of Sonos from the lock screen. This setting is disabled by default on the Sonos app for Android.

To confirm that the Lock Screen controls are enabled, you can check Sonos app settings on your Android device.

• In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, go to the Settings > App Preferences > Hardware Volume Control to enable.

I'd appreciate it if you can submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system to check what's going on.

You can also try other mobile devices or tablets to see if you will get the same results.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Hi @Rowena B. 

Thanks for the reply.

The app is set to enable for hardware control.

I've submitted a diagnostic report: 365715004

I don't have any other Android devices to try this on.

James. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JRSB81. Thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I see that your Android device losing connection to your WiFi network. If your Android device disconnects from your wireless network or the Sonos app is force closed, you may need to relaunch the Sonos app in order for the lock screen controls to appear.

I'd like to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. What is model and software version of your Android device?
  2. Have you tried turning off your mobile/carrier data on your device? Did you experience the same issue?
  3. Please check for available updates on the Sonos app > Settings > System > Check for updates.

Also, there are limitations on the Android device, If the lock screen controls are enabled, the volume buttons will control Sonos even if the app isn’t active, as long as the music is playing. The controls will not be available when:

• Viewing the home screen
  • Another app on the device is playing music or video
  • Connected to a Bluetooth audio device
  • A screen reader is enabled
  • Headphones are connected

We're here to answer any further questions you have. You're always welcome here in the community.

Hi @Rowena B. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I've tried checking for updates on the Sonos app and all up to date.

I tried turning off my mobile data. 

I'm using a OnePlus 7 pro on Android version 10 and Oxygen version 10.0.7.GM27BA 

I looked on the OnePlus community boards and can see other people have the same issue. 

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/issues-with-new-sonos-s2-app-on-7t-pro.1237688/

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @JRSB81. Thank you for your quick response and for providing the information about your Android device.

Upon checking, we currently have an issue with OnePlus mobile devices. We are receiving reports that using OnePlus Mobile devices running the OxygenOS stating that they are unable to see or use any Sonos notifications.

I’ll be checking this with our experts and keep you posted. It would be best if you can have this tested on a different device to isolate the issue.

I have the same issue, also on a OnePlus (6t).

Badge

Same problem on OnePlus 7.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

@S.Ag, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos Community.
@Jellew, thank you for letting us know your concern.

We are aware that notifications are not working on OnePlus devices running the OxygenOS stating that are unable to see or use any Sonos notifications as expected, this could include adjusting the volume controls on the lock screen. We appreciate you for letting us know about it and this will be addressed in a future Sonos software update.

In the meantime, you can use any mobile controller other than a OnePlus device if possible.

We use the Sonos app all day long in this sad days of Corona, so we'll appreciate it if you fix it soon.

Thank you

(OnePlus 6T)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Eyal Omer, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos Community. It's totally understandable.

We are working to address the issue and that will be fixed in a future software update.

You can use any mobile controller to connect to your Sonos.

If you need assistance with your Sonos or other information, please feel free to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi, 7T Pro user here. Having the same issue after v12.0.5. Using that version for the time being. Hoping a quick fix. Regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @zer0r00t, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for providing us the software version of your Android device.

This will be addressed in a future Sonos software update. In the meantime, you can use another mobile controller.

Please feel free to reach back to us if you have questions to assist you.

Hi, A OnePlus 5 user here who has the same problem. I am using S2 12.1 version and build 60381140.

It is still usable but I have to have the App active on my phone. I am looking forward to an update that will solve this issue in the near future.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Joaper, thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Sonos community.

We don’t have exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

Very upset about this. If it was working fine on v 12.0.5 and still does but doesn't on any version after that, it's definitely not the phone's fault or the OS's fault. Someone messed up on your side for sure which introduced this bug. And the fact that some settings can only be changed with the latest version, is so frustrating. I find myself having to keep installing the latest version just to change those few settings and then revert back to 12.0.5 just for the functionality. And it's even more frustrating that the desktop app isn't fully featured like the phone apps. If it was, it would make the experience a bit more palatable. It's ridiculous that this isn't being treated like a bug and being shrugged off as an OS issue. It's not possible for an app functionality to stop working that was working just fine without any mess ups from the dev team; although I'm not a dev and might be wrong. I'm really hoping this bug is taken a bit more seriously

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @zer0r00t, thank you for reaching us out in the Sonos Community. Your frustration is completely understandable.

We appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking this from your end. Your feedback is important to us.

I agree that an issue must be resolved as soon as possible. In this specific scenario, we are still awaiting an update from our engineers for the development but as of this writing, we haven't received any to share with you. Please bear with us while our team is working towards a resolution for this.