Android device with older software?

• 19 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
I have a android device that I put version 8.xx software in it some time ago ( never connected it to my system) I now want to see it as my CR200 is not working all the time and support has come to the conclusion it's malfunctioning after getting it from them just last year. The android did connect to my existing system but it wants me to update which mean it will update to ver 9.x and this will brick my dock which I don't want to happen. My question is how can I get this version to run on my device without updateing to the latest device so I can continue using my dock which is all I play from, not from any internet music source my dock is my most important device in my system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
No one has a suggestion to help me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since you haven't been using that version in past and just setting up it may not let you. You could try using a third party controller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best thing would do is get a cheap NAS drive to put all your music on and ditch the dock (like a WD Mycloud). A lot of great things about an NAS in backing up files across your home.
Userlevel 1
Badge
You could try using a third party controller.

Such as?

I think this stinks. How hard would it be for Sonos to provide an alternative controller app for older android devices?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There already are alternate 3rd Party controllers that is upnp protocols to do this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I am not aware of any third party controller that ever supported the Dock (mine have never and SonoPad/Phone haven't ether), and now the hardware has been unsupported for years that is even less likely. The best work-around is to give up with the dock and move to a supported solution.
I have a android device that I put version 8.xx software in it some time ago ( never connected it to my system) I now want to see it as my CR200 is not working all the time and support has come to the conclusion it's malfunctioning after getting it from them just last year. The android did connect to my existing system but it wants me to update which mean it will update to ver 9.x and this will brick my dock which I don't want to happen. My question is how can I get this version to run on my device without updateing to the latest device so I can continue using my dock which is all I play from, not from any internet music source my dock is my most important device in my system.
If the rest of your system is still on 8.xx, then you need to obtain the matching version of android software - this may be available on t'internet - Sonos don't make it available. Instead of installing it from the app store, you need to side load it onto your device. It should then just work.
I use this method to keep my system stable, and keep copies of the relevant software versions so that they can be re-installed when necessary. If you manage this, you may wish to lock your system down to stop future updates.
This site might be useful https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos/sonos-8-1-1-release/