Android Controllers and Setup, past the CR100 brick

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
As many of us are being thrown off of our CR100's, and forced onto an external third party device, please use this thread to say what device you will use or have tried, and advise what settings and configurations make it work.

Please keep it on topic, use the "Save the CR100" thread to put the world to rights on the bricking of our functioning devices.

Life must go on, The CR100 will die, lets try to help each other find our best solution.

To start,

I have just purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, 7" screen so similar overall size to the controller, ordered through Tesco Direct, very fast service available in 3 hours from ordering.

Tesco added a discount so got it for £62, although They advertised it as the Tab 4 7" which is actually a different unit with slightly higher res and should retail at £99 rather than £69 anyway its fine at the right price. both run Android 7.0

So set it up with no security as I don't want a pin entry each time I pick it up.

Installed Sonos from Google play and allowed Sonos net connections and connected straight to my system.

Then set the sonos options to "Show lock screen controls" and "Show Volume on Home screen"

Set the Android screen saver to Clock (its a bit too small compared to the Controller) but can be shown when docked (charging), so leave the unit on and it blacks out to a clock, can be digital or analogue.

One downside of this particular device is the micro usb charging port is not central, so Belkin docks wont work, so the cradle/dock could be an issue!? Any ideas?

Leave the Sonos app running and it comes out of the lock screen into Sonos.

Without a proper cradle its not so easy to directly compare, sometime touching the display unlocks, othertimes I need to press the side power button.

If you touch the button it goes to the home screen, which needs a swipe to unlock, a nice touch, if sonos is playing and running, then the home screen wallpaper is the artwork.

On the home screen are quick access play,stop and skip but no volume, there is a tiny expander arrow that opens up a menu that has a button to change volume, but thats way too complex, easier to double tap the quick access area and it opens the sonos app to show you the zone with volume control, art, queue etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I rarely use the Sonos app to play music anymore, though it's installed on three tablets and two phones. Alexa has gotten so good at recognition that she rarely misses an artist/album combo that I ask her to play, or one of the five or six stations i listen to. No MMI is more natural than voice.

I did get the iPort, but frankly it's just easier and faster to use voice. I greatly preferred the Sonos app to the CR100, so rarely used it (just dragged it out of storage recently). Won't miss the CR100, and probably won't often use the iPort. Alexa is my preference, and will only get better and even more convenient.

Alexa can't be used for your own selections from your NAS.
Why are you posting this here, it's not relevant? This is how to set up alternatives that are something like the CR100 for people who want something NOW.
Userlevel 1
I wanted to share my use case for the CR100 and how I am replacing it. I am a foster parent of teenagers. Some stay a while and some do not. I need to strongly control the internet and "device" usage in the home as some kids are *very* inappropriate. The CR100 was perfect because I could disable my wifi and still have a CR100 in each of the kids rooms. Now having to get some kind of "device" to replace the CR100 opens up an opportunity for that "*very* inappropriate" stuff.

Here is what I have come up with:
I purchased an inexpensive android phone, docking cradle and protective case for the bedside. I purchased the Motorola Moto E (4th generation) from an ebay vendor for $70 each.

On top of the stock android distribution I have installed an app called "Fully Kiosk Browser & App Lock down"

I disable almost all of the other android and google apps that came pre-installed

I installed the Sonos app.

I allowed the app to connect via SonosNet

Once I was connected to the SonosNet I had the device "forget" my primary network (so it now only connects via SonosNet)

Using the "Fully" I enable "Kiosk mode" so the only app that is available is Sonos and that app auto launches on boot. I also disabled (in "Fully") access to the Notification bar and settings.

Other than a few tweaks within "Fully" and the android OS this solution provides for all of my use cases.

I also applied the above to my old Google Nexus 4 and Google Nexus 5 phones and now have a Sonos Controller in locations that I did not have before.

I tried the Pinning method that Sonos suggests but unless you set the password protection on Android the kids can disable that quickly and easily. With password protection enabled I need to unlock the device all the time. This did not work for me.

I tried several other "app locking" applications but the kids were still able to get to the Settings menu and screw things up. If I ever left the Play Store available I would be totally screwed as they install VPN software to bypass the DNS filters I have in place.

I looked at several "Kiosk" packages and that was the way to go - but the cost of most of them were $50 per year per device. The "Fully" app was ~$7.50 per device, one time fee. Using "Fully" you can still disable the Kiosk mode and return the device to full usability - you just need to know the special gesture and the password. Should someone try and fail the device returns to its locked down Kiosk mode.

I hope that this helps some of you who have seniors in your life that can screw up any device they touch as well as kids you need to manage.

If anyone has a question please feel free to reach out.
Dan
Tried an Amazon Fire 5th gen because I had one to hand.

Limited Amazon approved apps - does do Sonos
No pinning to home screen
Very slow to respond

No pinning so pretty much useless as instant go to controller, which explains why it was in drawer in the first place. Could possibly be jail broken but there are risks in this.
I set up a child's account on mine, with only apps accessible, and Sonos as the only app. I keep it on the child account so access is reasonably quick and easy.

Within the app I find response to touch is instantaneous.

'Limited Amazon approved apps' seems a strange criticism of an alternative to a CR100.

I have been using it as a dedicated controller for some time and find it a good solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
if/when I remove the cradle, there will be a wire left behind sticking out of the wall. I'd like to look at reusing that to power a replacement dock/cradle rather than have to cut & dig into the walls & make good afterwards.
The CR100 PSU is 6V/3.8A. USB is 5V. You could fry the tablet.

Obviously I was planning fit whatever appropriate PSU in place of the original... 😳 - just leave the wire in the wall... the PSU isn't sealed up inside the wall too, that was left accessible underneath the sink vanity unit, and could be changed quite easily, as could the jack plug on the end if it's not the right size (most likely any new tablet would need a mini-USB plug)...
Badge +2
I realise this is not an Android solution but the Logi Base https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/base-ipad-pro-stand provides a reliable charging station that is better than the CR100 cradle as it grips by magnets. Unfortunately, you need an ipad pro to take advantage of it and the ipad pro is not as good as the CR100 if you want to lay it down at the bath side. Better than wireless charging though. Long live the CR100.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Alexa can't be used for your own selections from your NAS.
Why are you posting this here, it's not relevant? This is how to set up alternatives that are something like the CR100 for people who want something NOW.

So i guess you missed the part about the iPort, then... :8

Yes - really helpful telling us about something else that doesn't work with NAS............:8
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Tried an Amazon Fire 5th gen because I had one to hand.

Limited Amazon approved apps - does do Sonos
No pinning to home screen
Very slow to respond

No pinning so pretty much useless as instant go to controller, which explains why it was in drawer in the first place. Could possibly be jail broken but there are risks in this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm going to try a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (on sale for $129 at Costco) and see how it works out for the wife. I use one set up like this for Sonos control and as an alarm clock and it seems perfectly adequate for my needs.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A-Wi-Fi-Tablet---Quad-Core---Lollipop---Smoky-Titanium---Bonus-Sleeve.product.100215599.html

Add to that a magnetic power cable from Amazon, they make several colors and lengths, so picking it up or putting it back on charge is less frustrating.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YCQRHM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a stand that I've had good luck with from Monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10843&cs_id=1084305&p_id=16265&seq=1&format=2
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On pinning the Sonos app, if you put the Sonos widget on your home page and drag it fairly large you don't need to pin the app. Play/Pause, last/next, room selection, volume and the current selection name and album cover are shown on the widget. A single tap on it brings up the full Sonos app.

Only thing that sucks for her is that the widget buttons are so small she has to use a stylus to keep from fat-fingering stuff. It would be much nicer if Sonos offered a double sized user interface if you enlarged the widget.
There are third party widgets that overcome some of the limitations. One example: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.freddroid.sonos.pro&hl=en
OK Dave, don't use it. Others may choose to. I never said it could be turned into a CR100
Userlevel 3
Badge
As many of us are being thrown off of our CR100's, and forced onto an external third party device, please use this thread to say what device you will use or have tried, and advise what settings and configurations make it work.

Please keep it on topic, use the "Save the CR100" thread to put the world to rights on the bricking of our functioning devices.

Life must go on, The CR100 will die, lets try to help each other find our best solution.

To start,

I have just purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, 7" screen so similar overall size to the controller, ordered through Tesco Direct, very fast service available in 3 hours from ordering.

Tesco added a discount so got it for £62, although They advertised it as the Tab 4 7" which is actually a different unit with slightly higher res and should retail at £99 rather than £69 anyway its fine at the right price. both run Android 7.0

So set it up with no security as I don't want a pin entry each time I pick it up.

Installed Sonos from Google play and allowed Sonos net connections and connected straight to my system.

Then set the sonos options to "Show lock screen controls" and "Show Volume on Home screen"

Set the Android screen saver to Clock (its a bit too small compared to the Controller) but can be shown when docked (charging), so leave the unit on and it blacks out to a clock, can be digital or analogue.

One downside of this particular device is the micro usb charging port is not central, so Belkin docks wont work, so the cradle/dock could be an issue!? Any ideas?

Leave the Sonos app running and it comes out of the lock screen into Sonos.

Without a proper cradle its not so easy to directly compare, sometime touching the display unlocks, othertimes I need to press the side power button.

If you touch the button it goes to the home screen, which needs a swipe to unlock, a nice touch, if sonos is playing and running, then the home screen wallpaper is the artwork.

On the home screen are quick access play,stop and skip but no volume, there is a tiny expander arrow that opens up a menu that has a button to change volume, but thats way too complex, easier to double tap the quick access area and it opens the sonos app to show you the zone with volume control, art, queue etc.

Try this sliding port stand............. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6GYMWY/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=INE5CZK8SXVKN&colid=1JQ4EP7YV32CD&psc=0
The Nexus 7/2013 is distinctly easier IMO. I've used it with a handful of decent third party Qi pads for years without problem. My Nexus 2012 sometimes needs to be wiggled to correctly seat in the dock.
Contacts have been cleaned repeatedly using IPA. I suspect the spring is weak inside one or more contacts in the dock.
do you have the brainwash version or non-brainwash?
non-brainwash

The volume buttons now do seem to control the app after I have pressed the lock button I am sure they didn't so will have to retest next time it goes 30-minutes and times out to see if still does it then but a manual sleep/lock seems to allow it.

This capability may be sensitive to the smart power setting, which claims to disable WiFi when not required.

I have a throw away stand that came from an exhibition, it needs more weight as poking the screen starts to tip it over.

I like this one.
Here is my lockscreen

Don't recall a brainwash vs non-brainwash decision! :)

A tap on the control gets me into my already-open Sonos app.
I know this is a bit tangential, but Sonos v8 introduced a new feature that many people seem to have missed. I use 'long press to group' quite often. Please see the thread linked below. Don't be put off by mention of Alexa, this thing involves real buttons, so I thought you guys might like it :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/playing-to-an-additional-sonos-speaker-via-alexa-6802409
Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Having woken up rather late to Sonos euthenasing the trusty CR100 (no email received despite having the same email since the late 1800s), I'm playing with an Asus Nexus 7 (2013 edition) that was languishing in a cupboard.

Played with the Pinning of the app this evening on my Lenovo, works pretty well, just a screen touch brings up the app with no lock screen...

On my Nexus, I have installed an app called Wake Up Screen which uses the accelerometer to switch the screen on. On its most sensitive setting it mimics the CR100 in coming alive when picked up, rather than needing a screen touch. Small point, but I like it.

The Androir screen pinning feature is a nice touch (I previously had to use a custom app launcher which was a bit clunky). It means that I could conceivably get a couple of other tablets for my kids bedrooms without them being able to use the tablets for nefarious purposes (although probably something other than the Nexus 7 which seems to be available these days only at a special interest price).

I'm also experimenting with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUSK34E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to be able to use the Nexus 7 in a Samsung Fast Charge wireless dock so that I don't have to muck about with another mini-usb cable on the night stand.

This may be a reasonable work around (albeit no hard buttons and not waterproof. Oh, and also not free and already in my house, like the CR100.)
I'm also experimenting with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUSK34E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to be able to use the Nexus 7 in a Samsung Fast Charge wireless dock so that I don't have to muck about with another mini-usb cable on the night stand.
Nexus 7 (2013) has wireless charging built in. You just need a Qi pad.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Tried the hard volume buttons on the Lenovo, these work when the Device is in sleep mode (Screen Off not charging), and when Awake with the Sonos App, and even when in the clock mode, where they change the volume and awake the screen.

Whilst they are not as easy to podge like the CR100's Volume it's again a nice touch and 1 tiny step closer.

Dr_Tchok1 i'll have a look for wake up screen app, as that would be closer still. Thanks

Now why didn't Sonos write an app that looked like the CR100 panel, it might be a bit crazy but it would have been a great touch! And with all these features in place it could be damn close!

(But of course all this is to find something to replace something I already have!!!)
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
excuse the poor pic, but thought this might help people see where I'm at, dock to come...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Has anyone found, or become aware of, a dock which is wall-mounted? - all my CR100's are wall mounted in wet areas. Obviously it's a problem to put a tablet & a sink full of water in close proximity, especially with an arrangement like the above, where it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine reaching out for a toothbrush off the rack and knocking a tablet stood on the side of the sink over... This isn't a problem with the CR100, since when docked, it's very positively seated & not so easy to inadvertently knock, and also being wall-mounted means it's up out of the way of where my toothbrush is stored, & thus away from flailing hands...

I also have the problem that my CR100 cradles have been mounted with the power cable flushed into the wall, so if/when I remove the cradle, there will be a wire left behind sticking out of the wall. I'd like to look at reusing that to power a replacement dock/cradle rather than have to cut & dig into the walls & make good afterwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
For wall mount maybe something like this:-
Beetronic Tablet Mount

Or there are similar units like those used in shops for display purposes, but they tend to be device specific.

I don't actually mind device specific... - In fact, I welcome an option the looks like it was "designed" rather than "assembled"... I guess with something like that I could maybe fit a wedge shaped fillet between the mount & the wall, in order to replicate the screen rake angle that I have today with the CR100 (Those original Sonos designers really were the mutts nuts...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
I assumed you'd re-textured the CR to blend in with the tiles.

I'm in the habit of removing it from its cradle & taking it into the bath... so it gets covered in soapy fingermarks...

However, I have started experimenting with a replacement option...

a) I HATE visible wires... however with a retrofit, there's no way I'm about to start hacking into the wetroom walls
b) The frame was a spare cheapo plastic photo frame that I had lying around, and isn't quite big enough

this is my first endeavour at using one of my old spare iPads as a sonos controller in one of the bathrooms. The frame isn't purpose made, I took my Dremel to an old spare photo frame. it's only just big enough, and that lead to a couple of problems;
The old style Apple 30-pin connector is too close to the frame edge to be able to bend the cable 90-degrees & keep it inside, so I had no choice other than to make a hole in the frame & lead the power cable straight out. I've subsequently ordered a couple of 90 degree offset Apple charge cables, however the bulk of the body of the plug is just as big (if not bigger), so it's no better fit unfortunately. Also I had to make a cutout for the home button.

When the weather gets a bit nicer & I can get back out into the workshop (It's currently snowed in!), I think I'll try & construct a frame from scratch with better dimensions, & perhaps fit a USB socket flush to the frame edge so I can have no visible wires leading out of it. I wanted to be able to charge it without removing it from the wall if possible (it's held on with velcro). Currently when it needs charge I take a powerbank to it & charge it from that.

In this scenario I don't mind the lack of screen rake - flat against the wall is fine, since I use it when lying down in the bath, so it's right at eye level.

The software is "SonoPad" rather than the official Sonos app, and it's set in guided access mode. Unfortunately with this particular frame design I have no access to the physical volume buttons (also something to change for version 2), so I have to use the touchscreen.