Android Controllers and Setup, past the CR100 brick

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
As many of us are being thrown off of our CR100's, and forced onto an external third party device, please use this thread to say what device you will use or have tried, and advise what settings and configurations make it work.

Please keep it on topic, use the "Save the CR100" thread to put the world to rights on the bricking of our functioning devices.

Life must go on, The CR100 will die, lets try to help each other find our best solution.

To start,

I have just purchased a Lenovo Tab 7 Essential, 7" screen so similar overall size to the controller, ordered through Tesco Direct, very fast service available in 3 hours from ordering.

Tesco added a discount so got it for £62, although They advertised it as the Tab 4 7" which is actually a different unit with slightly higher res and should retail at £99 rather than £69 anyway its fine at the right price. both run Android 7.0

So set it up with no security as I don't want a pin entry each time I pick it up.

Installed Sonos from Google play and allowed Sonos net connections and connected straight to my system.

Then set the sonos options to "Show lock screen controls" and "Show Volume on Home screen"

Set the Android screen saver to Clock (its a bit too small compared to the Controller) but can be shown when docked (charging), so leave the unit on and it blacks out to a clock, can be digital or analogue.

One downside of this particular device is the micro usb charging port is not central, so Belkin docks wont work, so the cradle/dock could be an issue!? Any ideas?

Leave the Sonos app running and it comes out of the lock screen into Sonos.

Without a proper cradle its not so easy to directly compare, sometime touching the display unlocks, othertimes I need to press the side power button.

If you touch the button it goes to the home screen, which needs a swipe to unlock, a nice touch, if sonos is playing and running, then the home screen wallpaper is the artwork.

On the home screen are quick access play,stop and skip but no volume, there is a tiny expander arrow that opens up a menu that has a button to change volume, but thats way too complex, easier to double tap the quick access area and it opens the sonos app to show you the zone with volume control, art, queue etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

112 replies

do you have the brainwash version or non-brainwash?
non-brainwash

The volume buttons now do seem to control the app after I have pressed the lock button I am sure they didn't so will have to retest next time it goes 30-minutes and times out to see if still does it then but a manual sleep/lock seems to allow it.

This capability may be sensitive to the smart power setting, which claims to disable WiFi when not required.

I have a throw away stand that came from an exhibition, it needs more weight as poking the screen starts to tip it over.

I like this one.
You can easily turn off sleep when charging, thus avoiding the lock screen. You need to turn on the developers options, then select the proper setting from the new developers option menu. To enable developer options, go to Device Options on the Settings menu and tap on the Serial Number entry 7 times in a row. The new developers options menu will then appear.
Here is my lockscreen

Don't recall a brainwash vs non-brainwash decision! :)

A tap on the control gets me into my already-open Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Here is my lockscreen

Don't recall a brainwash vs non-brainwash decision! :)

A tap on the control gets me into my already-open Sonos app.

On the cheaper Fires at least there is an option to pay even less and get ads streamed to the lock screen. Saved £10 on the device cost. Ours was bought and loaded with kids programmes for a holiday in (2015) for use at airport/airplane/resort, since then it has sat in the drawer as quite frankly it doesn't quite match up to the iPad experience. I know it was on special at the time so cost something like £35 and I viewed it like the cost of two DVDs.

It can be turned off for £10, there is also a jailbreak methodology, but will put a call in and ask nicely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
The volume buttons now do seem to control the app after I have pressed the lock button I am sure they didn't so will have to retest next time it goes 30-minutes and times out to see if still does it then but a manual sleep/lock seems to allow it.
This capability may be sensitive to the smart power setting, which claims to disable WiFi when not required.

Aaah, makes sense, I was fiddling with power stuff yesterday, in an effort to hold off sleep, so that may have done it. Although I don't really want it on all the time, would OK for my office but not for the bedroom, plus screen burn and energy use would be downsides.

I have a throw away stand that came from an exhibition, it needs more weight as poking the screen starts to tip it over.

I like this one.

Hopefully the least of my worries! The fire still looks budget, and the test stand has already been weighted down with plasticine - thanks kids.

I suspect the final version will be a more premium tablet, ideally with Qi charging, and an angled Qi charger stand similar to what you posted. All the offerings so far have been for kit that is 2012/2013. I would rather a new tablet that once I'm happy with I can just order 3, with stands etc all together. Trying to buy 5-year old kit off eBay seems a pain.

Even better would be the ability to exit the app, on a temporary basis to use other stuff, with automatic return to Sonos on sleep. And a motion sensor! But I'll not hold my breath.

Thanks for the input.
Dave
Just a note: While the Fire tablets are good, cheap, and will run the Sonos app just fine, they are not eligible for beta because Amazon requires a special build. So if you run beta now, or ever intend to sign up for a public beta, your Fire tablet will not be able to load the beta software.

Edit: I stand corrected. If you remove the standard application and download the beta directly from the beta site, it will load. You just cannot load the beta from the update screen on the non-beta app.
It can be turned off for £10, there is also a jailbreak methodology, but will put a call in and ask nicely.Ah this does ring a bell now. I think I asked nicely and they removed the ads without charge, so worth a shot.
I know this is a bit tangential, but Sonos v8 introduced a new feature that many people seem to have missed. I use 'long press to group' quite often. Please see the thread linked below. Don't be put off by mention of Alexa, this thing involves real buttons, so I thought you guys might like it :)

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/playing-to-an-additional-sonos-speaker-via-alexa-6802409
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
It can be turned off for £10, there is also a jailbreak methodology, but will put a call in and ask nicely.Ah this does ring a bell now. I think I asked nicely and they removed the ads without charge, so worth a shot.

Thats the thing. Amazon kindly removed the ads free of charge (last years 240 orders probably had something to do with it). Now I get the app(let) on the lock screen just like your picture!

Postman just been, so now got magnetic USB cable (I like these a lot - will be getting more)

It's getting usable:
- will always look ugly
- isn't as dedicated as CR100
- isn't waterproof
- still needs manually plugging back-in
- still can't pin so if others are desperate and the iPad is flat then it may disappear.

But some of those can be overcome with hardware changes (nexus or similar).

Dave
Good to hear there is progress. Maybe when you get to the final position with a more modern tablet it will be better still. I understand that the CR100 has unique features that you value highly, but hopefully in the end your Sonos experience will still be a great one overall. At least you are taking positive action to get to the best place that's possible for you.
now got magnetic USB cable (I like these a lot - will be getting more)
Mind sharing which model you purchased? There are decidedly mixed reviews on Amazon for some makes of such cables.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
now got magnetic USB cable (I like these a lot - will be getting more)
Mind sharing which model you purchased? There are decidedly mixed reviews on Amazon for some makes of such cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M27KINN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honest review after an hour or so of ownership. Build quality seems reasonable, fit and finish adequate, nylon braiding tidy, nice organised packaging. Durability is always the key with this stuff though.

There was another I looked at that had three heads for iPhone, micro-usb & usb-c. Leave the heads in the devices and can charge bose headphones and iPhone with the same cable (sequentially) when travelling. If you did all your kit then 5 usb cables would be 5-cables regardless of the device type. Given we have an 8-port rack in the kitchen and still plug stuff in//out this would be great! (sports watches, fitbits, trackers, phones, tablets, headphones, speakers, etc) It needs 5-lightening cables every night!

As a concept its great. And I can't believe Apple are dropping magnetic from the Mac (shakes head).
Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Played with the Pinning of the app this evening on my Lenovo, works pretty well, just a screen touch brings up the app with no lock screen and then leave it when charging just drops to the clock dark screen and a touch brings it back again, if its off charge and off, the power button takes you straight to the sonos app too.

To use other apps you just long press the back button and use the tablet, then pin again from the overview button.

Works pretty well, I forgot to try the hard volume buttons while in the clock screen.

Only trouble is the sonos app doesn't consistently go to the same screen each time, so still have to work my way around their app which is a bit cumbersome on the 7" screen, but haven't used it enough.

The Lenovo's charge light when green is quite bright when the room is dark, so may need to tone that down.

So not perfect but getting closer.

Ordered a dock and a magnetic cable, so see how these work.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Having woken up rather late to Sonos euthenasing the trusty CR100 (no email received despite having the same email since the late 1800s), I'm playing with an Asus Nexus 7 (2013 edition) that was languishing in a cupboard.

Played with the Pinning of the app this evening on my Lenovo, works pretty well, just a screen touch brings up the app with no lock screen...

On my Nexus, I have installed an app called Wake Up Screen which uses the accelerometer to switch the screen on. On its most sensitive setting it mimics the CR100 in coming alive when picked up, rather than needing a screen touch. Small point, but I like it.

The Androir screen pinning feature is a nice touch (I previously had to use a custom app launcher which was a bit clunky). It means that I could conceivably get a couple of other tablets for my kids bedrooms without them being able to use the tablets for nefarious purposes (although probably something other than the Nexus 7 which seems to be available these days only at a special interest price).

I'm also experimenting with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUSK34E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to be able to use the Nexus 7 in a Samsung Fast Charge wireless dock so that I don't have to muck about with another mini-usb cable on the night stand.

This may be a reasonable work around (albeit no hard buttons and not waterproof. Oh, and also not free and already in my house, like the CR100.)
I'm also experimenting with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUSK34E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in order to be able to use the Nexus 7 in a Samsung Fast Charge wireless dock so that I don't have to muck about with another mini-usb cable on the night stand.
Nexus 7 (2013) has wireless charging built in. You just need a Qi pad.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Tried the hard volume buttons on the Lenovo, these work when the Device is in sleep mode (Screen Off not charging), and when Awake with the Sonos App, and even when in the clock mode, where they change the volume and awake the screen.

Whilst they are not as easy to podge like the CR100's Volume it's again a nice touch and 1 tiny step closer.

Dr_Tchok1 i'll have a look for wake up screen app, as that would be closer still. Thanks

Now why didn't Sonos write an app that looked like the CR100 panel, it might be a bit crazy but it would have been a great touch! And with all these features in place it could be damn close!

(But of course all this is to find something to replace something I already have!!!)
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Nexus 7 (2013) has wireless charging built in. You just need a Qi pad.

Interesting I have 2 spare QI pad from my Windows phones, that have this charging, and they are soon to be replaced!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
excuse the poor pic, but thought this might help people see where I'm at, dock to come...

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Now with Dock, which has a sliding connector to deal with the off centre charging port of the Lenovo Tab 7.

Slight downside is the hardware volume buttons work, but because the phone is essentially mounted upside down, the volume buttons work, upside-down?!? surely there's an Android setting I've missed? Even my Windows phone gets that bbut right!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
As an update, I’ve tried the mini usb charging dock.
2 issues:
1. The kindle fire 7 charging port is off centre, on the top and next to the power button, so this causes a problem when trying to locate it centrally on the stand. Although the male charging connector can be moved on the stand, if you move it to make the tablet central then the power button ends up resting on one of the raised bumps on the dock. This means it constantly presses the power button and causes the tablet to switch on and off repeatedly. The only way to avoid this is to settle for the tablet not being central on the dock. See photo.

2. Its relatively easy to remove the tablet from the dock, but you do have to use 2 hands otherwise lifting the tablet just lifts the stand as well. However, once removed its quite tricky to re-attach.

Overall, something with wireless charging might be better, or if sticking with the kindle 7 a basic stand with a longer cable attached (so you can leave it attached all the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Has anyone found, or become aware of, a dock which is wall-mounted? - all my CR100's are wall mounted in wet areas. Obviously it's a problem to put a tablet & a sink full of water in close proximity, especially with an arrangement like the above, where it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine reaching out for a toothbrush off the rack and knocking a tablet stood on the side of the sink over... This isn't a problem with the CR100, since when docked, it's very positively seated & not so easy to inadvertently knock, and also being wall-mounted means it's up out of the way of where my toothbrush is stored, & thus away from flailing hands...

I also have the problem that my CR100 cradles have been mounted with the power cable flushed into the wall, so if/when I remove the cradle, there will be a wire left behind sticking out of the wall. I'd like to look at reusing that to power a replacement dock/cradle rather than have to cut & dig into the walls & make good afterwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For wall mount maybe something like this:-
Beetronic Tablet Mount
or Clicky 2

Or there are similar units like those used in shops for display purposes, but they tend to be device specific.
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
For wall mount maybe something like this:-
Beetronic Tablet Mount

Or there are similar units like those used in shops for display purposes, but they tend to be device specific.

I don't actually mind device specific... - In fact, I welcome an option the looks like it was "designed" rather than "assembled"... I guess with something like that I could maybe fit a wedge shaped fillet between the mount & the wall, in order to replicate the screen rake angle that I have today with the CR100 (Those original Sonos designers really were the mutts nuts...)
if/when I remove the cradle, there will be a wire left behind sticking out of the wall. I'd like to look at reusing that to power a replacement dock/cradle rather than have to cut & dig into the walls & make good afterwards.
The CR100 PSU is 6V/3.8A. USB is 5V. You could fry the tablet.