Android app not connecting to existing speakers

• 6 January 2019
  • 4 replies

My Android Sonos app continuously doesn't connect to existing speakers. Seldomly, it actually does work. Most of the time it doesn't. My wife's iPhone Sonos app is working seamlessly and fine. So something is going on with Android????? We've had this speaker system for the past 6 months, but the past few days my connectivity (through my app) to my speakers has only worked about 10% of the time. Please advise. Bugs with Android all of a sudden???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I wouldn't think it's an Android bug, otherwise we'd be seeing thousands of posts about it.

Instead, I'd suggest that your Android device may be connecting to a different SSID than the one that the Sonos is on. Perhaps a 5Ghz signal that your router isn't passing across to the 2.4Ghz side, or perhaps someone else's SSID?
How do I check that, 5ghz vs 2.4ghz??? I'm not getting anyone else's SSID, so we can rule that one out. BTW, the Sonos app does say "We found Sonos on your _________ Wireless Network" (our WiFi network). So the app apparently is finding it, but not connecting to it... ? We're using a Sonos Boost too, for several speakers - not sure if that makes a difference.
"I wouldn't think it's an Android bug, otherwise we'd be seeing thousands of posts about it.

Instead, I'd suggest that your Android device may be connecting to a different SSID than the one that the Sonos is on. Perhaps a 5Ghz signal that your router isn't passing across to the 2.4Ghz side, or perhaps someone else's SSID?"

---> How do I check that, 5ghz vs 2.4ghz??? I'm not getting anyone else's SSID, so we can rule that one out. BTW, the Sonos app does say "We found Sonos on your _________ Wireless Network" (our WiFi network). So the app apparently is finding it, but not connecting to it... ? We're using a Sonos Boost too, for several speakers - not sure if that makes a difference.
Open up your router, and look at the settings on it to see if you're running two different networks. If you have the opportunity to do so, I'd recommend naming the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels separately, so that you can tell which one you're actually connected to. On mine, I have them named Foo2 and Foo5, so that I can tell by looking at a device which of the two they're connected to.

But, if the Sonos app says that it's found your Sonos, I'm confused about what is failing here. What happens after it tells you that it found the Sonos on your Wireless Network?

Because this is only on your Android device, it may be as simple as a duplicate IP address issue. I'd try a simple reboot of both your Android device and your router, to see.