Question

Amazon Echo integration

• 10 July 2017
  • 5 replies

It has probably been asked a thousand times but when is the integration with the Amazon Echo going to show up? I am sure I read that it was going to be Q1 2017 (may be mistaken) but not heard or read anything for a long time. Whats the story? Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It was never stated by Sonos Q1 2017. The official press release stated "general release in 2017". They do not publish exact release dates because releases are scheduled according to testing goals met, not calendar days elapsed. Given that, Sonos has stated many times on this forum it is currently being worked on and is on track.
It was "announced" over a year ago that is was coming as a "strategic integration". Like most things with Sonos ( proper audible support anyone?) it will take forever and may not actually arrive. They tend to focus on updates that add little or no new functionality but "tweak" settings and performance that most people aren't bothered about. To be honest I regret my Sonos purchase now as there are better solutions and better companies. I don't think Sonos will last because it cannot/will not innovate.
Echo integration is not hard. For the technical minded a great open source solution is already available for free:
https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos
I am patiently waiting also....holding off on purchases of both echo's and sonos until a solution. If nothing further happens this year i think ill switch to echos. It's just a shame about the sound quality of the echos.
Sigh.
I am patiently waiting also....holding off on purchases of both echo's and sonos until a solution. If nothing further happens this year i think ill switch to echos. It's just a shame about the sound quality of the echos.You have been listening to music without voice control all your life, like generations before you, and suddenly it is more important to you than how the music actually sounds? Isn't this all about the music? Please, go ahead, make @jgatie happy and waste the bunny. Buy those crap sounding Echos.