Amazon Echo + Harmony Hub Remote + Spotify + Sonos WORKS! (No Line-In Needed)

• 4 June 2017
  • 6 replies

I'm fairly new to Sonos, Spotify (ex-Slacker user) and just today got an Amazon Echo Dot. I had already configured my Harmony remote to work with my new Play:5, but just a few minutes ago I added the Harmony skill to the Dot. Now I can simply say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on the Play 5" or "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn the volume up" or "Alexa, tell Harmony to skip this song."

I have not found a way yet to request a specific song, artist, playlist yet so for now it immediately starts playing the default playlist I tied to the Harmony activity. I suppose I could add separate activities to the Harmony software, then give friendly names to each one within the Alexa software which would allow me to select various playlists.

Has anybody else tried this configuration to use the Echo with Sonos? Curious to hear what your experience has been. Still trying to determine if there is a way to select a different Spotify playlist or radio station with voice. Thanks!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I can simply say "Alexa, tell Harmony to...."
Interesting. Logically, Harmony should do whatever it can do with Sonos, if the right words are used to fill in the blanks above. If the Harmony skill has been fully fleshed out. Perhaps that is a work in progress?
I can simply say "Alexa, tell Harmony to...."
Interesting. Logically, Harmony should do whatever it can do with Sonos, if the right words are used to fill in the blanks above. If the Harmony skill has been fully fleshed out. Perhaps that is a work in progress?

I still need to do some more work with it to see how far I can take it. If I can determine how to get it to play different artists/albums/etc I will pass it on.
I don't have Harmony, but I am curious. Can you request a specific song through the Harmony app directly? If you cannot do that, then I can't imagine you could do that with Echo involved. Others on here have stated that Harmony really doesn't help them much with Sonos, just with everything else.

I have used a couple of different hubs that work with Sonos and they all seem to be limited to playing whatever is in your favorites list. As well, each source would need to be setup as a separate activity as you stated. I really haven't played with it enough to know all it could do, because I know it won't be enough overall. I only using it for a few favorites and occasionally just to stop the music.
I have a harmony elite, and I can't think of any way to specify a song. I can see how to start and stop play, adjust volume, but that's about it. Not even sure how I'd pick different playlists.
I don't have it; but if Alexa can be used wirelessly today to do everything that the device can do to control Sonos or any other system it can control, it seems like a neat thing!
Badge +1
Did you change your phrases in the activity to "tell Harmony". My equipment is Harmony Ultimate Home, Yamaha RX A1010, Motorola cable box DCX700M, Denon 1920 DVD Player, Apple TV, 5 connect zones and Samsung UN65H7100 TV all running through the receiver. Echo Dot is the Alexa device. I am trying to get Alexa to shift to Sonos and Applet Tv ect.
Alexa doesn't recognize my Apple TV