Amazon Echo controller

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I know it's a pipe dream but if you took the new Amazon Echo and used it to control Sonos, that would be unbelievable awesome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sonos definitely needs a voice controller, call it the "Sonos Vox" and charge $149.95. Design it so you can set it on a coffee table and the user can change volume, play favorites, and change tracks with their voice

There, I did the tough part, now go make the product so I can buy it!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just received my Echo today and the second thing I thought was "I need to have this kind of control for my Sonos" - either as a Sonos Native product or via Echo.
My first thought was more childish: ask the Echo "what's a henway"
Userlevel 1
Came here to post the exact same thing
I would buy that.
Userlevel 2
Trying to create a groundswell for this feature....me, too!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
You can't just add this feature to sonos, it would need a whole new product to work like the Echo.
Userlevel 2
I'm pretty sure that if Sonos worked *with* Amazon, the Echo could talk to their products. Amazon adds another capability to it's product, and Sonos adds functionality to its products without having to develop hardware. Sounds like a win-win to me...
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
How? Do they talk in "wifi" mode or "sonosnet" mode? My setup is on sonosnet and is a closed mesh network that only sonos devices work on. I choose this method as it's secure and free from all my other network traffic. So the Echo wouldn't be able to speak to my sonos unless (and correct me if I'm wrong) it was set up in wifi mode. Don't get me wrong I think the Echo looks cool and wouldn't mind owning one, but I just don't see it being integrated with sonos
Should work fine communicating over Wi-Fi... that's how iPhones and iPads control Sonos. 
Userlevel 2
My assumption is that if the Sonos app uses my wifi to send instructions to the speakers, they could share that code with the Echo device, which communicates via the same wifi network. And I'd also be curious whether Sonos will be talking to the Eero folks (http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/eero/). Not sure what happens when two mesh networks are involved...
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You can't just add this feature to sonos, it would need a whole new product to work like the Echo.
I suggested Sonos make their own voice controller, it just seems a natural next step. The Echo doesn't have anywhere near the sound quality of Sonos yet I still find myself using it because saying what I want is easier than finding my phone or my iPad, hitting the code, opening the app and finding the song or station I want. ... If Amazon and Sonos would play nice with each other, that would be cool too. I don't care who or how, I just want.
Sonos speakers may use mesh to communicate amongst themselves.. but at least one or a hub is connected to your network which is where commands are transmitted through. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE if amazon Echo could just output its audio through sonos or next best thing.. at least be able to control audio playback of sonos. The echo speaker isn't nearly as powerful and full sounding as a sonos 1 or any of the higher level sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Just sent a detailed email on this topic to both Sonos and the Amazon Echo folks. Both products would win. Can't be that hard to do as Echo has launched integration with various wifi gadgets (lights, Nest) and also IFTTT in the last month.
I would very much like to see this feature as well.  I just got the echo and have barely begun to use it, but it would be awesome if it could control my SONOS system.  
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list. I ordered the Echo months ago and forgot about it. When it showed up, I thought, "meh" it's a curiosity. Then I plugged it in and tried it out. Like an earlier poster, I find myself using the echo (even though it has far inferior sound), because it's so convenient.  One great example: I didn't realize I could get my local stations through TuneIn - which has been right there and available via Sonos since I got my setup - until Echo found it for me. And now I listen constantly. 
I love my Sonos gear, and it's far superior to the Echo - but I find myself using the echo more often lately.  :-/
Integration between the two would be incredible for me.
Of course, I'd also like the echo to connect to my Nest thermostat too.  :-)
Userlevel 1
It CAN connect to nest if you use IFFT. Google it and you will see someone created recipee to control nest with IFFT and echo.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Austin. Yes, I'm aware of that, but I'd much prefer something baked-in rather than kludged.
Bump!  I concur!  MAKE IT HAPPEN PLEASE!
More generically, if Sonos had an open API that could be used in an IFTTT action, then all sorts of interaction models could be implemented, with or without Echo as the trigger.
Wy can't they just put an Audio Out on the Echo? We could handle the rest from there.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I'm positive they will on the Echo II but that won't help us. I'm looking for a software solution and I'm sure it can be done if Amazon and Sonos could agree on terms.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Perhaps in conjunction with SmartThings and IFTTT it could work. I'm going to hack around and see what happens.
They could come out with a new Boost/Bridge that could integrate Echo and IFTTT. I would trash the brand new Boost and buy another just for IFTTT or Echo.
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
I just got my Echo and I can tell it "Amazon play The Doors" and it plays through the Echo speaker. Very cool. The problem is I've got a pretty bad ass Sonos setup and the Echo speaker can't compete. I would love the Echo and Sonos to play nice together so I can enjoy my music properly.
I agree. There are lots of times when I would normally listen through Sonos but end up using Echo instead because it is so much more convenient. Ideal would be for Sonos to support Amazon Prime Music and IFTTT so Echo could play through Sonos. I'm OK if the integration is limited to Amazon Prime if that's what it takes to get Amazon interested in this integration.