Question

Amazon Alexa Support for Sonos announced!!!!!

• 31 August 2016
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 1
According to the article I read....
"The Alexa feature will be a free software upgrade for existing Sonos hardware. A private beta later this year will be expanded to public release early in 2017."

My question... HOW DO I GET ON THE BETA?
I have four Play 1 and a Play 3 setup thru my house (living room and two betdrooms).
I'd love to be able to control the music for my Sonos system thru my Alexa (and DOT) system.

Anyone know how to get on these betas?

TIA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The public beta will be announced here under the announcements section.

Private beta's are selected by the Sonos beta team - no idea who and why they pick.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Chris
anything we can do to improve our chances to get in on the private beta? I will literally buy hardware for this...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I would think you will need sonos registered kit first, then being active on here probably helps, as it's a forum of owners & testers, why go elsewhere?
or fanboys and culturalists as recently suggested in the press ;O)
The real question is why should I stick with Sonos while the industry is leaving them behind.

YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R
The real question is why should I stick with Sonos while the industry is leaving them behind.

YMMV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R

Exactly who in "the industry" is leaving Sonos behind? Because last time I checked, Sonos is the top seller, with the most supported music services, with the best rankings on Amazon, and is the only one to announce support for voice control is coming soon. They've also announced direct streaming support which uses WiFi instead of the outdated AirPlay, or Band-aid Bluetooth method used by competitors. So in what particular area of the market does this symbolize being "left behind"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea why is that post here in thread with Sonos being the first brand to establish they are in partnership with Amazon. Who in industry is pledging support above them?
Amazon, Apple, B&W, Devialet, McIntosh... in alpha order...
Top seller? you have access to unit sales and revenue for all of those devices, sounds like a lot of internet puffery to me.

>So in what particular area of the market does this symbolize being "left behind"?

I would say Voice Command of Music, they are behind Apple and Amazon, without even mentioning Google's head start in voice.

R
Userlevel 1
And.. isn't THAT the reason they are teaming with Amazon Echo? Doesn't make sense for Sonos to try and... roll their own... voice command system when they can partner with the current leader/seller in the industry.
Right, the reason they have to partner is they are getting left behind, I'll agree with that.
Amazon, Apple, B&W, Devialet, McIntosh... in alpha order...
Top seller? you have access to unit sales and revenue for all of those devices, sounds like a lot of internet puffery to me.

>So in what particular area of the market does this symbolize being "left behind"?

I would say Voice Command of Music, they are behind Apple and Amazon, without even mentioning Google's head start in voice.

R

B&W, Devialet, McIntosh? Not Sonos' market at all. Those are audiophile brands sold in boutique shops. Sonos is sold at Target.

As to the rest? Sonos' market is multi-room, whole house audio. Apple doesn't make anything close to that market, and their Airplay sucks for multi-room. Amazon also doesn't make one, seems to be pushing the Dot use for as a voice control hub rather than the speaker functionality, and has partnered up with Sonos for multi-room (hardly competition). Google may be the only competition, but the Chromecast Audio needs it's own speakers and doesn't have voice control.

I know you are probably here to troll, but even so, could you have used a little better bait?
Userlevel 1
I don't see it that way. Months back it was posted that Sonos was going to attempt to do their own VCS. I questioned it THEN as to WHY they would waste money and resources in something that is not their field of expertise. Luckily someone in management with some actual intelligence saw the same reasoning and decided to pair up with the current, home automation leader, in voice command recognition. And PLEASE don't try to say Apple SIRI or even Google. They are good at what they do, but not VR in a noisy house with all the background noise that is going on. Ever try doing Google voice in your car... with the top down and radio playing (same for Siri).
This is just a VERY smart move on Sonos part.
Right, the reason they have to partner is they are getting left behind, I'll agree with that.

Bwahahahahaha! So they partner up with someone you previously called their competition and you call it "getting left behind"? Seems to me if you are in cahoots with the #1 Voice Control system in the world, you aren't getting left behind when it comes to voice control.
> I know you are probably here to troll, but even so, could you have used a little better bait?

I asked how to get on the beta, far from trolling, I was trying to help, but based on the responses, you guys are on your own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos never said they were doing their own voice service. If you saw that it was just a forum user speculating had nothing to do with Sonos.
> I know you are probably here to troll, but even so, could you have used a little better bait?

I asked how to get on the beta, far from trolling, I was trying to help, but based on the responses, you guys are on your own.

Trying to help at what?
Userlevel 1
Sonos never said they were doing their own voice service. If you saw that it was just a forum user speculating had nothing to do with Sonos.

Can't say I remember where, on here, I actually saw the post. But I thought it was a bad idea and suggested that they should consider partnering up with Amazon.

BTW, Chris.... I'm on YOUR side. 😉
Userlevel 1
I just want to be on the BETA!!!! LOL
I've got an original Echo, 1st gen DOT and a 2nd gen DOT on order... besides 6 Sonos speakers thru out my house.
Somebody.... HOOK ME UP!

Can't say I remember where, on here, I actually saw the post. But I thought it was a bad idea and suggested that they should consider partnering up with Amazon.

BTW, Chris.... I'm on YOUR side. ;-)

There was much speculation when the voice control announcement first happened, with some saying they were going to do it in house and others saying partnering up would be the best way. To be fair, a good portion of the former also thought partnering up was a good idea, and used their pre-determination that they were doing it in-house as a pre-emptive bash against Sonos.

In other words, pretty much the way every speculation thread goes.
@kerryp24

Don't mind the cross-fire, I just want to be on the private beta too... I have almost your exact same setup :o)

R
@jgatie

>Bwahahahahaha! So they partner up with someone you previously called their competition and you call it "getting left behind"?
>Seems to me if you are in cahoots with the #1 Voice Control system in the world, you aren't getting left behind when it comes to voice control.

You may have a slight misunderstanding of what partnerships mean in a business context.
@jgatie

>Trying to help at what?

"improve our chances to get in on the private beta", which would help the software guys at Sonos make a better product.

R
@jgatie

>Bwahahahahaha! So they partner up with someone you previously called their competition and you call it "getting left behind"?
>Seems to me if you are in cahoots with the #1 Voice Control system in the world, you aren't getting left behind when it comes to voice control.

You may have a slight misunderstanding of what partnerships mean in a business context.

No, I assure you I understand. Sonos is leveraging the #1 Voice Control technology in the world instead of doing it in house. That saves them money, and keeps them in the forefront of a technology which is not their specialty. That is anything besides "left behind".

And by the way, Sonos has been a partner of Amazon AWS division for years and years. I suppose that was another case of the "industry leaving them behind" (except it happened way back when before you think they started being left behind)?
> (except it happened way back when before you think they started being left behind)?

you are hilarious, now you presuppose to know how I think?

:o)

alright, I'm outtie 🙂
@jgatie

>Trying to help at what?

"improve our chances to get in on the private beta", which would help the software guys at Sonos make a better product.

R

Well, I know if I was picking beta candidates, the first guy I pick would the one asking why he should "stick with Sonos while the industry is leaving them behind." He's be the very first in line! :D

I think you might have a "slight misunderstanding" how this beta thing works.