Alternatives to Sonos app on Mac?

• 26 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I just migrated to a new MacBook and am downloading software. I went to download the Sonos app for Mac and saw that there are other (pay) apps available - Remote for Sonos, Switch for Sonos, Soro for Sonos, Audio Cast for Sonos. I have (unfortunately) two PlayBars and 5 Play:1 speakers.  I know there are a lot of posts about how rotten the Sonos for Mac app is and I agree.

Does anyone have experience with these apps (or others)? I wish I could “try before I buy” but it’s not an options. Reviews seem to be good? 

Thanks!

As a complete aside and simple rant, because Sonos’s screwed us with their policy on “older” speakers that are 2-4 years old, I’m planning to go 3rd party as I can afford it to replace the Play:1’s. I’ll keep the PlayBars - we don’t really use them for music. I have zero interest in smart speakers unless the listening ability can be turned off. Just had to say!

6 replies

Don’t spend any more money on speakers you intend to get rid of.  Just sell them now and move on.

And the mics can be turned off on all Sonos devices, but that’s not really relevant since you’ve already made up your mind to move on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you do not install an assistant the microphones are not even turned on in the first place.

And many Sonos speakers come in an “SL” version, which doesn’t include the microphones at all. Not all, mind you, but as @melvimbe suggests, it’s probably moot, and you should move on. You’re not happy with the Mac app, which is no longer in development, and hasn’t been updated, beyond bug fixing, in years. It’s no longer able to set up a system, it’s only functional for playing music. Something it does extremely well, and I use it daily. It’s showing right now on my Mac’s screen. 

Frankly, I’d updated both my PLAYBARs and my PLAY:1s to S2, since they were capable. I never had an issue with them, but the PLAYBARs were gifted when I replaced them with Arcs. Both are still working fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

2-4 year old speakers are not “older”. If you must try and troll us, get your facts straight.

As a complete aside and simple rant, because Sonos’s screwed us with their policy on “older” speakers that are 2-4 years old, I’m planning to go 3rd party as I can afford it to replace the Play:1’s. I’ll keep the PlayBars - we don’t really use them for music. I have zero interest in smart speakers unless the listening ability can be turned off. Just had to say!

Utter nonsense.   Most S1 devices were last sold before the 2010 decade began.  The very last S1 device sold was the S5 (Play:5) gen1, which was discontinued in 2015.  

This OP has form for coming out with nonsense.