Alternative to iTunes for MAC & IOS

• 1 June 2019
  • 9 replies

As of 06/01/19 "MacRumors" is reporting that Apple is planning on dropping iTunes.
I use iTunes to:
  1. Copy/rip cd's to the iTunes Library
  2. Organize my music (500+ cd collection) in playlists with album covers etc.
  3. Transfer the same to iPhone.
  4. playback on Mac and iPhone
  5. copy the same library with play lists and album covers, to WD NAS for Sonos library.
Does anyone know of a decent product that allows me to keep doing the same, and works for MAC/IOS.
Free or 1 time reasonable purchase is acceptable

I know this is a similar topic from a few years ago, but wanted to re-ask the question and identify the specific requirements.
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I would imagine that the replacement application that Apple brings out for just "Music" would do all of those same things for you, without you having to spend a penny.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I'd also hazard a guess that the demise of iTunes won't be instant, they'll just stop supporting it at some point in the future. And, let's be honest, they havent done much with it for a little while, so even unsupported it is likely to carry on working.

There's also their partners to consider, such as Sonos. A lot of people use iTunes playlists, so I reckon that there will still have to be a library file in the new Apple music app. I'd bet that this app will just be a slimmed down version of iTunes, with no films, books or apps cluttering it up.
It is possible that the ripping/purchasing facility may be discontinued in the new approaches seeing that they are adapted to a world where streaming and not downloads is the way most people are said to listen to music now. I don't expect that the ability to play ripped or downloaded purchases will be lost, and not just in the transitory period.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I do hope that the ripping/purchasing facility is not removed.

Whilst streaming is useful, Spotify and other services dont quite live up to the occasional claims that they have all of the music in the world. I've come across loads of music that I have, which can not be found on Spotify, so I only use them for convenience, not for real enjoyment of music and audiobooks.

The company that I buy audiobooks from are reliant on people either buying CDs or downloads. The streaming model would actually make them bankrupt within a month or two.

Doesnt it seem odd that in a world where we are supposed to have so much choice, we are actually very limited by the big players in the market.
I would be stunned if Apple were to remove the ability for people to rip their local libraries into iTunes. There's literally millions upon millions of CDs still out in the possession of the public. While they can be easily scanned in by almost any random third party music program, it just wouldn't make any sense, to me, for them to remove it. And I, too, share similar reasons that Mr. Keith does....much of the content I own isn't available in most streaming libraries, or wasn't the last time I looked.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
It wouldn't make much commercial sense to introduce a product whose functionality was less than its predecessor.

And with the streaming services, I dont think they will ever achieve the high quality of service that a collector would expect.
I’ve read on 9To5 Mac that there is going to be a stronger emphasis on Apple Music. They’ve got some screen caps of a screen or two, but there is no mention of whether “ripping” is in or out.

i suspect we will have more information in 24 hours 😉
I hear you. I’ve always purchased CDs from Amazon, and they often come with an .mp3 copy as well, which I have occasionally used.

However, I’m not 100% sure Apple has lost their way with Apple Music....they have just lost a portion of the market that you and I represent. I suspect we are the minority at this point, and not worth the investment in time and coding resources to chase.

Hopefully, we will know more about specifics in a few hours, as the media ban is lifted.