Allow more than one speaker per room group

Userlevel 1
Apparently this is a popular request so I’m adding my voice. I have multiple speakers in one room (Play 5 and a stereo pair of One). I want to assign them all to the same room (permanent group). This should be fairly easy (like Apple Home or Phillips Hue) to have different names for the speaker but assign them all to the same room/group.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

I highly doubt this will ever happen. For bonding (what you call permanent grouping), Sonos prefers standard, acoustically optimum setups: Single speaker, 2.0, 2.1, and the various surround setups, all with like models for pairs. A mishmash of different models arranged in non-standard configurations is probably always going to be via grouping only.
Userlevel 1
jgatie - You are really over-thinking this. A "mishmash of different models in non-standard configurations" can already be grouped. This request is easily solved with a UI feature to "lock" a group and give it a single name.
jgatie - You are really over-thinking this. A "mishmash of different models in non-standard configurations" can already be grouped. This request is easily solved with a UI feature to "lock" a group and give it a single name.

As I explained, Sonos only allows you to do that with certain standard configurations. Not sure why you think I'm over thinking, but that is as simple as it gets.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just group them all. You can use program like sonosequencr to one touch organize your groups.
Badge
Just group them all. You can use program like sonosequencr to one touch organize your groups.

It's sad that a third party had to make software to give the features that a system at this price-point should have by default 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stereo pairing unmatched speakers shouldn’t be seen as standard feature. How many people buy two different wired speakers and stereo pair them. They don’t.

If I took two different B&W speakers and wired them as a pair B&W would say I was crazy. Sonos no different.
I find it refreshing that Sonos cares so much about sound quality that it only allows setups that are acoustically optimum. If someone wants sub-optimal pairings or groupings, let them buy an app that hacks them in.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Ability to store groups and recall favourite ‘scenes’ would be good though. Even if the older soeakers don’t have the space for this in memory, then sureky the controller app or cloud could be used to store them with the recall being automated. Would be a step forward from having to manually re-group and retune for those with larger houses and or lots of ‘rooms’. Yes it can be done manually, but it is cumbersome and could be addressed in a future update. Not aure how many people work at sonos, but I expect it is not a one man band and they don’t exactly have a huge and complex product range to look after!
I find it refreshing that Sonos cares so much about sound quality that it only allows setups that are acoustically optimum. If someone wants sub-optimal pairings or groupings, let them buy an app that hacks them in.

I don't think anyone is really saying that they want to be able to pair a play:3 with a play:1 as a stereo pair. What they're saying that if that if have a room in which they placed a play:1 in each corner of the room, why can they set it up as two stereo pairs, then permanently group them? Yes you can set it repeatedly, and maybe not have to reset all that often, but it would still be a nice feature.

Personally, I just want named groups, so that my commonly used groupings are more easily set, and can be done by voice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonosequencer will do that in its app
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Sonosequencer will do that in its app

So I noticed when I looked it up when mentioned above in the thread. Handy tip. Thanks. Personally I’d prefer a supported option rather than a ‘hack’ via a 3rd party app that might break when Sonos make a change. Might resort to it at a later date if the feature is not forthcoming (won’t hold my breath).
I don't think that it's worth having another app, for my situation at least, but I'll look into it. Also, I'm assuming that sonosequencer isn't going to allow me to call that named group through the Alexa interface.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Absolutely. Permanent groups have been asked for continuously. No indication on Sonos part they will ever actually do it. We have been hoping voice integration will loosen that stance.

I don't think anyone is really saying that they want to be able to pair a play:3 with a play:1 as a stereo pair.

You'd be surprised. There was an uproar in here about not being able to pair a first gen Play:5 with a second gen when the second came out. They are as unalike in sound and looks as you can get, but there was still a sizable number of complaints.
Userlevel 1

As I explained, Sonos only allows you to do that with certain standard configurations. Not sure why you think I'm over thinking, but that is as simple as it gets.
Apparently this is a popular request so I’m adding my voice. I have multiple speakers in one room (Play 5 and a stereo pair of One). I want to assign them all to the same room (permanent group). This should be fairly easy (like Apple Home or Phillips Hue) to have different names for the speaker but assign them all to the same room/group.

This is great idea. It would help me out with my set up.

I've got a 2 Sonos Ones in a bedroom and a Sonos Play 1 in the Ensuite.

I want the Bedroom and Ensuite speakers perminat locked into a group, but still separate rooms... And this is why:

Using IFTTT, when I switch the bathroom light on, it unmutes the ensuite speaker. So, IF there is music playing the bedroom, it will follow me into the ensuite when I switch the light on.

Then re-mutes the ensuite speaker when I switch the light off again. I've got this set up perfectly, very fancy pants (when it works).

Now, I've got many other Sonos speakers. If I decide to group the music already playing in the Kitchen, with the Bedroom (/ensuite), it will first create a new group between the kitchen and the bedroom, so, I have to tuen add a few more steps to get the ensuite back into the group. This is also the case whilst ungrouoing. Bit of a pain. Not gonna loose sleep over it, however, locking groups together, for my situation, would be very cool. Please ADD THE ABILITY TO LOCK GROUPS TOGEHTER!! ?.
Userlevel 2
Badge

I don't think anyone is really saying that they want to be able to pair a play:3 with a play:1 as a stereo pair. What they're saying that if that if have a room in which they placed a play:1 in each corner of the room, why can they set it up as two stereo pairs, then permanently group them? Yes you can set it repeatedly, and maybe not have to reset all that often, but it would still be a nice feature.

Personally, I just want named groups, so that my commonly used groupings are more easily set, and can be done by voice.

Exactly this.

I have four wall mounted play 1's (each corner of the room) in an open plan kitchen/diner and currently have them set up as 2 x two pairs at each end - 2 effectively in the corners of the kitchen part of the room and the other 2 in the rear, dinning room part.

Ideally, it would be great to have these 2 x 2 pairs set up within the controller as locked group. I know (and use) the grouping feature to do this at present but i find that the controller "forgets" this grouping quite often (maybe every few weeks) and they become separate again. This is hardly the end of the world, but I cannot help but think that it must be such a simple thing to be able to permanently group or associate a set of speakers into a collaborative zone?

I discuss this quite often with a good friend of mine who co-owns a small chain of bar/restaurants and has been begging for the ability to have different sets of speakers that can be both grouped AND zoned.

In my house, this would be great (especially with voice control) so I could effectively set up 3 groups (or i suppose 2 groups and 1 zone!)...

Group 1) 'kitchen speakers'
Group 2) 'dining room speakers'
Group 3) or Zone 1) the above two groups locked together and called 'living room speakers'

This would effectively give me the ability to use voice or manual app control to...

"Play x on kitchen speakers...." (plays on just the 2 x play 1's in the kitchen area)
"Play x on dinning room speakers..." (plays on just the 2 x play 1's in the dinning area)
"Play x on livingroom speakers..." (plays on both sets of stereo pairs - kitchen and dinning areas together)

Maybe one day... 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe one day...

There should be now some ifttt abilities now where you can trigger the grouping every day or when certain things play so they will auto group.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Exactly this.

Snip...

This is what I am hoping for also. Once you introduce voice control into the mix, being able to permanently have groups, so I can say "Alexa play XXX on Whole House" and all the speakers that have been grouped into the "Whole House" play. Or Alexa play Kitchen Group, and if I have a set of speakers grouped named Kitchen Group, they play.

Permanent groups would be a great addition, especially when using voice.
My request is simple, I have two play 1 speakers and a play 3 speaker I want in the same room, isn’t there any easy way to accomplish this?
Heh. If you mean in the Sonos software definition of "room", no, not really. However, I've frequently got around that limitation by making two separate rooms, then just grouping them in the Sonos controller.
I have a Sonos One stereo pair and a Quake sub which is fed via a Sonos Connect - they live in my living room and, after tweaking, the Sub does a great job of adding some bottom end without spoiling the stero paired Ones sound. Grouping does work, but it's repeatedly broken by updates, which is a pain that Sonos apparently can't or won't fix.

If I had a Sonos Sub augmenting my Ones, would I still have to go through the same hassle?

Sonos Rooms are stupid IMO, when only single items can live in any one of them (with the exception of stereo pairs).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a Sonos One stereo pair and a Quake sub which is fed via a Sonos Connect - they live in my living room and, after tweaking, the Sub does a great job of adding some bottom end without spoiling the stero paired Ones sound. Grouping does work, but it's repeatedly broken by updates, which is a pain that Sonos apparently can't or won't fix.

If I had a Sonos Sub augmenting my Ones, would I still have to go through the same hassle?

Sonos Rooms are stupid IMO, when only single items can live in any one of them (with the exception of stereo pairs).

You can add a Sub to a paired set of speakers and they are 1 homogenous group that is permanent.

As to your comment that not being able to create rooms with more more than 2 speakers (apart from Sub as above) I refer you to jgatie's comments above
I'd like to add my voice to those requesting the ability to add non-matching speakers to a room as a non-stereo pair/trio/quartet/etc.

Guess what! I have non-matching speakers in the same room in real life. Please let me reflect that in the Sonos configuration so I don't have to keep jumping through hoops. I really don't care if it might offend some audiophile's sensibilities. It sounds great to me and I'm tired of re-grouping my stuff. I paid a premium for this system. Don't force me to artificially group two "rooms" when the speakers are in the same dang room.

This is such a stupid argument. Talk about pedantic.
Same here! Have a Play One and now, because the sound was quite insignificant in my reasonable sized exercise room, purchased a Sonos One! I cannot group the two (effectively) same size speakers into the same room! Ridiculous!!
Same here! Have a Play One and now, because the sound was quite insignificant in my reasonable sized exercise room, purchased a Sonos One! I cannot group the two (effectively) same size speakers into the same room! Ridiculous!!Sorry but you have failed to understand the nature of a Sonos 'room'. 'Room' as a label for particular configurations of speakers is fundamental to the system's design. Just give them different names and group them if you want them to play together. It is your comment that is ridiculous.