Question

Alexa integration and Apple Music

• 18 August 2017
  • 6 replies

I received the privacy statement email teasing Alexa integration and I am really excited for that functionality to become available. However, I have a question around how streaming services like Apple Music fits into this. I am an Apple Music subscriber, and it is compatible with Sonos but not currently available with Amazon Echo. Will I be able use Apple Music via voice control or will I have to switch to a service that works with both Sonos and Echo like Spotify?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Nobody knows, and Sonos ain't telling (yet).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
It would frankly be idiotic if it did not support the more popular services such as Apple Music. Technically it is obviously possible, as my Alex/Sonos skill does so today.
would be good to get an update on this as this is stopping me from buying this
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Well now it is released, it looks to me as if Apple Music will never be supported by Sonos-Alexa, as the path Sonos have chosen requires the music service be supported on Alexa before it can be integrated into the Sonos Skill. The chances of Amazon allowing Apple Music on their devices is slim to none I would guess.
AirPlay 2 is coming next year. Not an Apple fan, but I'd guess that means Siri control of Apple Music via your phone. Hardly as nice as Alexa integration, but hey, it's Apple being Apple...
Well now it is released, it looks to me as if Apple Music will never be supported by Sonos-Alexa, as the path Sonos have chosen requires the music service be supported on Alexa before it can be integrated into the Sonos Skill. The chances of Amazon allowing Apple Music on their devices is slim to none I would guess.

I don't think we can fully speculate on how or why you cannot initiate play of Apple music on Sonos through Amazon. You can't assume Sonos chose to implement it that way, as it's very possible that Amazon forced/pushed it to be this way. Just because Amazon isn't blocking/preventing homemade skills from accessing Apple music doesn't mean they are going to allow much bigger players to do so. Heck, we can't even really say that Amazon is against it, for all we know Apple may refuse to allow it since it will impact the sales of their homepod.

If you think about it, it's really kind of impressive that 2 competing companies work together to give a customer what they want. 3 competing companies may be may be a bit much to ask.