Answered

Album artwork distorted view

• 16 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
When browsing music libraries (either from my NAS or locally on my iPad) a number of album art covers are displayed improperly. This is not the issue with album covers associated with the wrong tracks...the album is correctly paired, just overlaid with these weird white bars and distorted color (the "Fated", "Home", and "No Reality" albums in the pic attached). I can't remember which software update this started, but it wasn't like this when I set up my system a year ago. Anyone knows whats going on?
icon

Best answer by Edward R 21 March 2018, 15:58

Hiya, Russlush3. No worries at all. Right, I'm with you- the plot thickens. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. I think we need to dig a little bit deeper. Not trying to fob you off but this is a bit of a weird one. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hiya, Russlush3. No worries at all. Right, I'm with you- the plot thickens. I think it might be best that you get in touch with our support team via telephone. I think we need to dig a little bit deeper. Not trying to fob you off but this is a bit of a weird one. Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Badge
Hi Edward, thanks for the response. Well this got a little weirder...I scrolled through my music library (on my NAS) via my phone (android 8.4) and all the album art looked fine....and actually when I went back to my iPad the album art was fixed for the music library (on my NAS). However, the album art for stored locally on my iPad is still messed up. As noted, I really doubt this is a metadata issue since the album art looks fine when in "Queue view". Also, again, the same files look fine when I use the iOS Music app. I'm hoping there's an easier solution than simply requiring me to go through all the music on my iPad (like 150GB worth) and delete or modify each album individually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, Russlush3. This is an interesting one- no doubt being caused by the metadata on these files.This is all local information that's being accessed, given that it relates to your music library. Can you go to the tracks in iTunes and search for the album artwork again, so as to re-embed it? If that resolves this, I think we've found the culprit. Let me know.
Badge
Hi

Since you assume it's the Sonos app,..then delete it and re-install. Also, check for iOS updates as well as restarting your iPad.

Cheers!

Deleting and reinstalling the app did nothing. Same issue as before.

As an extra check to rule things in or out - is it the artwork in a separate file (eg. a "folder.jpg") or the artwork embedded in the actual music file (and if so can you export that out)? Does the artwork open fine in an external picture viewer? There may be an issue with the format / encoding / compression used on the image files not being supported by Sonos.

The artwork is embedded in the actual music file, it is not an issue with the cover art itself. I didn't mention, but the album art looks fine when viewing the queue (attached). Also the album art always look fine when playing in iTunes or on iOS Music app. I'll also note that the same albums display improperly whether it's from my music library (i.e. on my NAS), or local storage (i.e. on my iPad).

Can any of the Sonos representatives address this? Is it a known bug? I can't seem to find any similar posts.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
As an extra check to rule things in or out - is it the artwork in a separate file (eg. a "folder.jpg") or the artwork embedded in the actual music file (and if so can you export that out)? Does the artwork open fine in an external picture viewer? There may be an issue with the format / encoding / compression used on the image files not being supported by Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi

Since you assume it's the Sonos app,..then delete it and re-install. Also, check for iOS updates as well as restarting your iPad.

Cheers!