Album art : inconsistent showing ?

• 20 January 2015
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
To test, I have uploaded one folder.jpg file to one album in my library (21 from Adele), and refreshed the library (I have never used album art before). I have Sonos controllers on several devices, and the album artwork shows on some, but not on all:

- Android Samsung phone : no trace from the album art
- Laptop : shows small thumbnails in albums scrolling, and next to each songs once album selected, but nothing in the larger view when playing (left & middle of screen)
-iPad : nothing when browsing albums, but once the album selected, it does show a thumbnail; once playing, it does not show on the big window.

I just put one single folder.jpg, 500x500 px, 40Kb in the same directory than the songs. I would imagine that Sonos would use that to resize and display the jpg everywhere?

11 replies

You don't need to re-index the library. Sonos picks up the artwork on the fly, but controllers do have a limited amount of temporary cache.

The folder.jpg size (pixels, kB) is well within limits. However there could be something slightly amiss with its internal format which is upsetting some controllers. Try opening the file in an image viewer (e.g. IrfanView) and re-saving.
Userlevel 2
Thanks ratty, that solved it. I indeed just downloaded a jpg from a website, and after I used Zoner for a simple re-save it showed up everywhere.

Was this just bad luck with one jpg, or do you expect this to happen every time? My idea was to use Bliss or Album Art Downloader to automatically find the jpg's for my 600 something albums. If I have to start to do a manual open & re-save for each jpg, that's going to be a nightmare ...
I use Bliss and throughly recommend it. It comes with 100 free try's to make sure it works for you.
Userlevel 2
I use Bliss and throughly recommend it. It comes with 100 free try's to make sure it works for you.

And the jpg's that Bliss found, where all readily recognized in Sonos?
My impression is that Sonos can be a bit pedantic about the JPG spec, and if an image bends the rules it can cause indigestion. The open/save trick on a troublesome file re-writes it in a (hopefully) correct format.

I use Album Art Downloader these days. The Qobuz plug-in returns art at 600x600 resolution which is a pretty sensible compromise. A good fall-back is Amazon.
Userlevel 2
My impression is that Sonos can be a bit pedantic about the JPG spec, and if an image bends the rules it can cause indigestion. The open/save trick on a troublesome file re-writes it in a (hopefully) correct format.

Thanks, but it seems a bit "hit or miss", i.e. lots of uncertainty whether the jpg's will be handled well or not. If you had to guess, what % of your jpg's were recognized without the open/save trick?
Or does Album Art Downloader take care of the open/save trick?
If not, there is a risk that I will have 600 jpg's distributed over my library. Probably advanced users could write a script (I am using Windows) to automate the open/save, but I have zero knowledge about scripts, so I would have to do this manually?
Thanks, but it seems a bit "hit or miss", i.e. lots of uncertainty whether the jpg's will be handled well or not. If you had to guess, what % of your jpg's were recognized without the open/save trick?
Approximately 100%, but I built my library several years ago so memories fade.

Or does Album Art Downloader take care of the open/save trick?
No, but it can be pointed at sources which ought to be reliable.
Userlevel 2
Approximately 100%

:)
Thanks, that gives me confidence to give it a try !

No, but it can be pointed at sources which ought to be reliable.

Any tips on the ones to keep as source(s)?
Any tips on the ones to keep as source(s)?
Album Art Downloader can be configured with 'primary' sources which it checks first. Then if the user requests an extended search (or nothing's returned from the initial search) it will look at 'secondary' sources.

As already stated, I favour Qobuz in the primary search. The size of the artwork is reasonable for Sonos, but their catalogue has holes. I tend to use Amazon as secondary source, but there are loads to choose from.
PK9,

Over the years I have encountered only a few (less than ten) problem JPEG's. Certainly, it is possible that all of your images came from the same corrupt source, but I have not experienced this. In all cases the dummy save trick has worked.

Since I use the "folder.jpg" scheme and don't embed artwork, fixing a single file will take care of the whole album. Once you get used to the procedure, a "fix" requires a few clicks over a period of a few seconds.
Userlevel 2
Ratty, buzz,
Thanks for your replies and advice.
I will give it a try in the coming days.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings