Alarm insists on playing the annoying Sonos Chime!

• 28 August 2013
  • 8 replies

I'm trying to set an alarm that uses music from my Music Library. The shortest time I can set in the alarm setup is 15 minutes, but the music I have selected is less than 2 minutes. When the music ends, the Sonos Chime plays. How can I avoid having the Sonos Chime play?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Mary,

Unfortunately, the only possibility would be to repeat this song a couple of time or switch off the Alarm.

As it is not implemented  I will change this thread to an Idea.
Hello Mary,

Unfortunately, the only possibility would be to repeat this song a couple of time or switch off the Alarm.

As it is not implemented  I will change this thread to an Idea.

This annoys me too. Why the heck can't the alarm simply terminate after the playlist is done? Make this the "no limit" option.
I noticed this thread is several years old. Is it now possible to play the contents of a playlist and then stop without having the Sonos Chime play for the remainder of the alarm duration?
Is it possible to select a single track to play as an alarm?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I set a playlist with single track. After track the Sonos chime came on.
I have at least one alarm set up that only plays the song one time and another alarm that will default to the annoying chime once the alarm is done. I have reviewed the details of each alarm on the desktop app and cannot figure out what the difference is. Is there someone at sonos that could contact me and perhaps look on the back end to see what the difference may be so I can help myself and all others who really want this feature?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have at least one alarm set up that only plays the song one time and another alarm that will default to the annoying chime once the alarm is done. I have reviewed the details of each alarm on the desktop app and cannot figure out what the difference is. Is there someone at sonos that could contact me and perhaps look on the back end to see what the difference may be so I can help myself and all others who really want this feature?

If you set an alarm and when it comes time to play if the source is unavailable - Maybe due to network issues or the drive is switched off or asleep then the chimes will play.

Firstly you need to confirm that the source you want to play for the alarm is available when the alarm request is reached.

Beyond that rather than appealing for Sonos to contact you so they can look at your system why not phone them up and ask them to remote into your system?
Here is the solution to your problem:

1. Create an audio track that contains 15 minutes of silence at a bit rate of 16000hz. You can download Audacity for free to accomplish this.
2. Add this file to your music library.
3. Append this track to the end of the playlist you use for your alarm.
4. Set your alarm duration for 15min. The Sonos Controller will not sound the charm, because the music in your playlist lasts longer than 15min now.
5. Enjoy!