Alarm duration, let's get this done!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I saw posts up to six years ago asking for more options on the duration of the Sonos alarm function. Seems like a simple request yet nothing has been done.

Lets face it, we mostly use the alarm function as a scheduler because it's our only choice. I use it daily so I don't miss my favorite Internet radio shows. Problem is I need it to stay on for 3-4 hours, the length of the show, and my choices are either 2 hours or "indefinitely". I've seen others who need shorter alarms too, say 30 second to 5 minutes. I say why not just let the users decide exactly how long to set it for?

Can we PLEASE get this on the next software update? Even just adding a 3 hour and a 4 hour option would solve my issue. Ultimately though, Sonos needs a separate scheduling function so the alarm can be an alarm and the rest of us can set Sonos up to work with better our lifestyles.

Thanks, I hope someone at Sonos reads this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

"Lets face it, we mostly use the alarm function as a scheduler because it's our only choice. "

That's a pretty presumptive statement. I personally have never used the alarm as a "scheduler", I use it as an alarm. If I were to use it as something for which it was not explicitly named (like a scheduler), I would simply set an unlimited duration for the start alarm, and another short duration alarm of zero volume, or a silent file, for the end alarm.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
My apologies for being "presumptive" on such a controversial subject like using the alarm function. I'll take note that at least one person definitely doesn't use it in the way I described. For the record, I'm not looking for suggestions or workarounds, I'm letting Sonos know there's a function that would make their products more user friendly. At least for me and a good number of others who have expressed this same concern.

I use it to as a way to "schedule" certain programs because the is no other option. Currently, I have been setting multiple alarms to cover the length of certain shows that I don't want to miss. It's annoying and can get a bit confusing but once you get it all set up, it usually gets the job done.

Even simpler than your simple 3 step solution (or mine) would be the ability to set one alarm and have the option to set the duration myself. That's why I suggested it. If it's something you wouldn't use then there's the simple option not to use it.

Or, if Sonos had a way to schedule the daily, weekly or monthly broadcasts to come on automatically, that would work too. It might keep me from offending people by abusing the alarm function by using it for my own personal agenda.

Thanks for the reply, it's more than that company did.
You do realize you just resurrected a thread from over a year ago? :?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
With all due respect I think the alarm scheduling idea is bad, and I wouldn't want them to spend time on it.

I am on board with the idea of a scheduler, but I wonder whether that wouldn't be better delivered by get some "smart device" integration such as with Amazon's Alexa. I could even see people with a small business (ex. dentist's office) that is connected wanting to kick on the audio at a certain time to a certain "station" every day.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
You do realize you just resurrected a thread from over a year ago? :?

Yes, and it's a feature that somebody requested over six years ago that hasn't been implemented. I'd like to see it happen.

I don't mind setting alarms to play music or shows at a certain time, it works fine for that. All I'm asking is the ability to choose how long the "alarm" plays. Even more specific, I'd like to see the choice for a 3 hour duration. That's all I really need.

Everything is in place, just add one more choice to the menu.

Come on Sonos, show me you are listening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What platform do you use? If its Windows, I'll add a 3 hour option to my app for you. (It is as trivial as you would expect).
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I mainly use the latest iOS on my iPad or phone, but windows works too. My Sonos app for windows keeps crashing, so I'm up for a replacement if you've got an alternative.

What's your app? I downloaded one 3rd party controller, it worked great but the one function it didn't have is the alarm function..... figures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
What's your app?
My apps are Phonos and Phonos Universal, the latter offers full alarm capabilities. In just over 3 hours I'll let you know if my change for you worked 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Very cool, I'll check it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
So 3 hour alarms do work (thought the Sonos app can't display their duration), I'll try and get the update released by next weekend.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
To the Sonos development team, a big thanks for listening!

I see with the latest update I installed that we now have complete control over the duration of the alarm function. It may seem trivial to some but it really helps me in the way I use my Sonos system. I’m very excited to see this improvement.

So, to recap my suggestions over the last couple years ..

Alexa integration - check!
Alarm duration - check!
Audible.com app - still waiting patiently