Alarm clock improvement for grouped setups.

Userlevel 1
I have 2x Play:5 and 1x Play:3, always in a group. Using the alarm clock I only want the player in my bedroom to start playing music while the others stay muted. Sonos currently offers to either 1) play on one device which will un-group the player from the others or 2) playing on all group (un-mute all). I'd like to see an option to use the alarm clock on one player but keep the group sticky! Thus, I could simply un-mute the player in the kitchen once I got up without having to re-group the players. Additionally, with the current implementation the following is a little annoying. When using the alarm clock (with option 1) not including the group) and then starting the iOS app the focus is on my other two players (new group) rather than the one which plays music. So first I have to switch player to be able to pause the music. Thanks for considering such ideas!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 2
Not quite the same issue as Magnus, but so similar it's not worth creating a new option. I have a paired stereo set of Play:5s in the master bedroom (on on each side of the bed). What I would like to do is ONLY play an alarm on the left Play:5 at a certain time, and ONLY play an alarm on the right Play:5 at a certain time. In order to do this now, I need to unpair them every night and set up the alarms that way. A simple "left only" or "right only" would help a lot.
Userlevel 1
I have the same issue but want to group my play 5's in the morning for the alarm and ungroup in the evening for standard play. If I set individual alarms for the play 5's the alarm is out of sink and you get echoes as you walk through the house.
I like the suggestion to improve the alarm feature having grouped rooms. However, i have a little different situation. With 6 Sonos devices I want to get up with a radio-station in the morning running in a group of only 4 rooms. During the day the family is ungrouping those four as they like and I appreciate this. In order to achieve my 4-room-radio-get-up I have two options today: Option 1: I set one alarm for each room. This means heavy network traffic due to four times radio stream (in my case often the third stream does not work anymore and I do not get radio but the sonos alarm clock tone) as well as echoing due to the lack of synchronization between the 4 Sonos devices 😞 Option 2: I configure one alarm with the feature for grouped rooms. However, since there is a lot of crazy grouping all over the day in my family, I have to take care of a propper grouping every evening I go to bed 😞 Both options are not Sonos-like 😞 Suggestion: Let the user choose a group of Sonos Players for every alarm. If the alarm goes, the system does the grouping and every thing is fine. This does not solve Magnus' request at first glance. However, if the rooms stay grouped after the alarm one could imagine to provide for a mere grouping alarm. I.e. to ask the system to regroup the devices at a specific time. One might even achive this by allowing an alarm duration of zero. Looking forward to you working on this very important feature. Arthur.
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sonos Alarms - request for feature enhancement. Sonos alarms - when is Sonos going to upgrade the alarms to:
1) provide for setting an alarm for a group (requiring to set this previously is very lame, and
2) provide for Line-in as a program source.
Having to set the alarm for each Sonos station while tuning to internet radio inevitably ends up with rooms out of sync.
With line-in as a program source (using a tuner), it would be possible to avoid the DREADED Sonos chime which I get about 25% of the time, not to mention loud objections from other members of the household.
I've been asking for these to upgrades for over a year, and will not purchase any more Sonos equipment until the the enhancements are offered.
Please - get on this. From the forum, it's clear that I'm not a lone voice.
Bei der Funktion "Wecker" sollte es möglich sein, dass einzelne oder alle Gruppen zusammengezogen werden und so am Morgen z.B. alle Lautsprecher die Musik synchron wiedergeben. Damit dies heute funktioniert, müssen am Vorabend jeweils alle während des Tages getrennten Gruppen wieder zusammengefasst werden. Dies müsste doch mit Sonos automatisiert gehen!
Badge
Being able to save a group/volume configuration would really make the alarm function more useful. Currently it's just too limited.
Yes, I also to want this feature 🙂 here is a similar Idea, please marge it with this to add the "likes": https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/added_alarm_feature
I'm not sure if my comment is the same as Barry C's but in case it isn't, it would be nice if the volume of each player in the group could be set separately.
Badge
I find the current alarm system incredibly frustrating and it's something that is putting my family off our Sonos system. I just wish I could set alarms and create grouped zones for those alarms seperate to everyday usage. At the moment, we need to remember to manually group the speakers back for the alarm ever night. Not being able to set individual volumes for each speaker in the alarm is frustrating too. It's really not very smart
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Adding grouping to the alarm clock would solve a lot off issue and allow automatic regroups of zones to be done.
Userlevel 1
Totally agree and I think I put this request in around two years,  Is it really that difficult??
Userlevel 1
You've got to wonder what the Sonos developers do all day. So many user requested features ignored or rejected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
... and I dont' see anything ASAP.
Userlevel 2
I find the current alarm system incredibly frustrating and it's something that is putting my family off our Sonos system. I just wish I could set alarms and create grouped zones for those alarms seperate to everyday usage. At the moment, we need to remember to manually group the speakers back for the alarm ever night. Not being able to set individual volumes for each speaker in the alarm is frustrating too. It's really not very smart
Exactly the problem here...
Yes, better support for grouped speakers with alarms would really improve things. I was rather amazed to discover I could *not* set up all our speakers to come on in a group in the morning.
Userlevel 2
Why are these kind of inputs always ignored. Sonos could and would be so much better!