airsonos - yes you can stream directly from spotify/Apple music app

Badge
For those who would like to stream directly from their native streaming service (Apple music, spotify) iOS app to Sonos, check out Airsonos (just google and you will find instructions how to install this free software on your computer). This will allow you to use the superior native apps discovery and playlist functionality and effectively bypass the feature lacking sonos app interface. One day I would love to see this functionality be integrated into the sonos speaker software... Works like a treat, but note that you must have your computer running in the background so the airsonos software can perform the bridging between your iPad and the sonos speakers (via AirPlay iPad functionality)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Another alternative is SonoAir, which is based off AirSonos, has a GUI and doesn't need to be installed (fully - great if you don't have admin privileges) on your computer - just download and run the app.

SonoAir Website
Badge
Thx . Will check that out as well...GUI and not on computer sounds even better!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Sorry Marc, When I said it doesn't have to be installed, I meant that you don't have to run an installer (which requires admin privileges in this case) not that you don't have to have it running on your computer. Just download the app, run it and then AirPlay from your i-Thing.
Badge
Got it - all good Josh
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Another alternative is SonoAir, which is based off AirSonos, has a GUI and doesn't need to be installed (fully - great if you don't have admin privileges) on your computer - just download and run the app.

SonoAir Website

And you can have the app open at login by right clicking on SonoAir when it's open, selecting Options and Open At Login. If you want the app to open but not have the window pop-up, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > (Your username) > Login items > click 'Hide' next to SonoAir. The app will still function but the window won't pop up.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos and Apple put to shame by Hackers!  Thanks guys.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Sonos and Apple put to shame by Hackers!  
Well... at least AirSONOS and SONOAir work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If you like that have a look at:

Youtube I use a Google Chromcast on my TV and cast from the computer to Chromecast and than to the PlayBar. 

SonoSequencr also allows you to control your system from your Apple Watch and so does Kronos .

Phonos is a third-party controller available on the Windows Store for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone (possibly Android too)
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonos extends my WiFi? While Sonos does not extend your home WiFi network once you have one Sonos product wired you could plug into any Ethernet port on another Sonos product and connect to you router.  In other words, say you want to take you speakers out to the garden on a nice day.  But you know the WiFi is not good enough to use.  The Sonos network MAY reach out there?  Maybe you move one Sonos product closer to a window and now you may get up to 50 feet of range and you can plug your laptop in to the speaker and surf the net in the garden. 

If you have a teenager of a tech savvy friend to help you can plug a WiFi hot spot in to your Sonos product and thus extend you home WifI.  I had an old bridge I was not using and plugged it in to AC and plugged in a hot spot to the Bridge and now have much better WiFi that area of the house.  Another great feature from Sonos
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos and Apple put to shame by Hackers!  
Agreed - Sonos and Apple should be ashamed with all their resources!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have not tried - but others have said AirSonos can run on a Raspberry Pi - alleviating the dedicated desktop computer need.
Badge
By the way airsonos does unfortunately not work with beta ios9 on iPad . Can't be bothered to roll back my iPad to iOS 8, so unfortunately missing out on the airsonos capability for now...
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Just installed AirSonons on my raspberry pi. Works great with iOS 10 on all my devices.