AirPods/Headphones

• 14 March 2019
  • 7 replies

I have a pretty open concept condo. On occasion it would be beneficial to be able to play my Sonos feed through my AirPods. For say watching TV and not disturbing others. Anyone else?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It's counter to the business model of Sonos, which makes money by selling speakers, and giving away the software for free. But I do understand where you're coming from.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think what you what you're saying you want is to be able to play the audio on the controller (which is an iPhone) on the phone itself, so that you can use your Airpods to listen. That's up to Sonos, as @Airgetlam states.

However, if you were using less proprietary headphones, you could add a Connect to your network, and then drive a headphone amp or bluetooth transmitter (as works for the headphones in question) with the "Line Out" output to get audio to a set of headphones.

Not inexpensive, unfortunately.

Happy listening.
And the simple fact is that the "player" part of Sonos isn't on your phone, it's on the speaker (or CONNECT), so it would require a pretty substantial change in the way the entire system works to get any sound from Sonos out of a phone.

But jsmuir is indeed most correct, you can absolutely connect any headphone system that has an input to the output on the CONNECT.
Thanks folks, appreciate the feedback and insight. I get Sono’s business model would not support this.
If you just want to get the TV audio into your AirPods you can try pairing them directly with your TV - given it supports Bluetooth audio (My LG OLED does).
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

However, if you were using less proprietary headphones, you could add a Connect to your network, and then drive a headphone amp or bluetooth transmitter (as works for the headphones in question) with the "Line Out" output to get audio to a set of headphones.

Airpods will work with any Bluetooth, to which proprietary attribute are you referring?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Whoops. My mistake. A too quick reading of the Apple website left me thinking the Airpods only worked with Apple devices. They are, as you say, compatible with other Bluetooth devices. I'm guessing that for best results a transmitter that supports the AAC codec would be desirable.

Happy listening.