Answered

AirPlay2 and Connect

Will the Connect products be functional with AirPlay2?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 April 2018, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Define functional, please.

From what I read in the official blog https://blog.sonos.com/en/airplay2-coming/ they'll be able to be grouped with an appropriate "receiving" device, such as a PLAYBASE, PLAY:5 Gen 2, or a Sonos One.
I certainly hope Sonos updates their Connect and Connect Amp products to support AirPlay2 as I have half of dozen of them cost me upwards of $4500 CAD.
I certainly hope Sonos updates their Connect and Connect Amp products to support AirPlay2 as I have half of dozen of them cost me upwards of $4500 CAD.

From what I understand, they don't have the hardware to handle airplay 2. It's not a matter of a software update. Your best solution is to get a Sonos One and use that as means of getting airplay2 streams on to your system.
You are correct, I just got off the phone with Sonos support and their response was that there are no plans for the older generation products, which include Play 5 (1st gen), Connect, or Connect:Amp to support Airplay 2 due to there being insufficient hardware. It's quite disappointing that a product like this has such as short lifecycle. Thanks for providing the idea of using a Sonos One as a workaround. If I went this route, it would sit in a cabinet somewhere with the volume set at 0 as I don't need any additional speakers (already have a couple dozen around the house)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Got a new Connect:Amp today (switched from Bluesound) and also disappointed about the lack of Airplay 2 support. Have literally been waiting for years for an updated Connect:Amp and finally gave in. In my opinion Sonos should put out an Airplay module for legacy devices. Basically a Sonos One brain that can group to another speaker without any amp or speaker enclosed. I’d pay $99 ea. for those to enable new features on an “old” devise that I just purchased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connect:Amp doesn't have the processing/memory ability to run Airplay2. You have to play Airplay2 to a compatible unit that has been clearly listed as such - - you can then group the Connect:Amp to that device in order to send that stream to the Connect:Amp.

Example: You have a Sonos One which can run airplay2. You can have the Sonos One volume turned down to 0 and not making a sound but stream Airplay2 to it and then group the Connect:Amp to it. Then everything plays on the Connect:Amp using Sonos One as really a bridge to airplay2.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Example: You have a Sonos One which can run airplay2. You can have the Sonos One volume turned down to 0 and not making a sound but stream Airplay2 to it and then group the Connect:Amp to it. Then everything plays on the Connect:Amp using Sonos One as really a bridge to airplay2.

Which is exactly why I suggested Sonos release an Airplay module which could essentially be a stripped down Play One brain without an amp or speaker. Price it under a hundred bucks and I’m in!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Too little a market. It would end up being $199 so may as well just use a sonos one as such.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Too little a market. It would end up being $199 so may as well just use a sonos one as such.

I disagree. Huge legacy market. $99 completely doable. Similar to how Wemo put out an inexpensive module to enable HomeKit control on legacy switches.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We can just disagree on.
See this is two months old...but alas you can just add an Airport Express for Airplay 2 support. That is less than the $99 module suggested and accomplishes everything requested.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would need Sonos unit with input. So many direct to Sonos options now seem better unless you have Sonos withinoit and really want that direction. But that has been case for years to add airplay.