Answered

Airplay disable or password protect

I'm setting up overhead music in the office and showroom. I am using WiFi, that is open to all employees. How do I password protect or disable Airplay option so employees are not accidentally (or on purpose) take over and broadcast whatever they pleased from their phones?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 5 April 2019, 19:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This is not possible at the moment. The security of your network acts as the security for Sonos. In similar cases, like offices, we recommend creating a separate protected network for Sonos to work on that employees do not have access to.

In the meantime, would you like me to tag this topic as a feature request and forward this to the team?
Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks for a quick reply. That brings another question. Soon I/m doing install for another client and he does not have WiFi. In his system (the office and small showroom) the first speaker will be wired to a network switch. Does that mean that everyone connected to his network will be able to airplay? it's not Layer3 switch and a flat network, so creating a subnet is not an option.
And YES, please make it a feature request. The way it is now the business use is quite limited.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I have a similar issue. I can use my WiFi router to restrict access of some devices during certain times if the day, but airplay is able to bypass this. How is this possible? The play and sub devices are not connected to the Internet but are still able to play via my sons iPhone. My sonos system is already on its own sonosnet, how would I set it up on a separate system? Not being able to restrict users is a real pita.
In some cases( mine) this is not applicable. We have over 5,000 employees and they will not create a ssid for everyone that has a sonos speaker. Some of the devices didn't have Airplay before we should have the option to disable it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In some cases( mine) this is not applicable. We have over 5,000 employees and they will not create a ssid for everyone that has a sonos speaker. Some of the devices didn't have Airplay before we should have the option to disable it.
That can get a little rough if you have lots of AirPlay enabled devices and employees that don't know the right ones to use. Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'll make sure to add your voice to the request, but there's no news to share on the topic.
Add another vote to disable airplay at the owners discretion. It also would be super wonderful to not let airplay devices begin playback at max volume (aka a volume limit for airplay playback).

Yes, please add a password. Or add functionality in settings where I can allow certain ip addresses or certain devices to connect to Sonos via AirPlay and deny all others.

Today my 4 year old accidentally clicked the airplay button in Netflix on his iPad. This caused the audio (paw patrol theme song) to play in the living room. And since he couldn’t hear the audio he then turned the volume up to max - scaring the hell out of my wife and our 7 month old baby. Please fix this!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
@rolfr You could put your son’s iPad on a different wifi network, for example the guest network many router provide. In that case he won’t be able to reach the Sonos devices in your household (or you printer or NAS for that matter).
Thank you, 106rallye. Still I would like to be able to control Sonos from all our devices. But still disable Airplay on Sonos for all devices - except my Apple TV. But this will solve the problem for his iPad for now,
thanks
Badge +20
Just to add I would also like to be able to turn off Airplay on my Sonos devices.

I would also like the ability to disable and/or password protect AirPlay. I don’t have access to our office wifi, which means I cannot add another network. And I definitely don’t want just anyone accessing AirPlay.

Definitely need the ability to disable AirPlay 2. The growing list of available devices is not what we signed up for!