I installed the latest updates and tried using AirPlay with a Sonos 1 today – The Sonos 1 is sitting about four feet from, and in direct line of sight to my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.3.1, with no other applications running (I force-closed them all), using Amazon Music or Pandora. Eight Sonos devices in the house, grouped, or not grouped. Only the Sonos 1 supports Airplay.
1) Various dropouts: Fairly often – averaging more than once during each song, the music stops for less than a second, sometimes longer than a second, or several seconds, sometimes skipping early to a new song, and sometimes audio output simply shuts down completely, with the only restart being to go back to the app and re-connect.
2) Long connect times - Connect times are longer than anticipated, sometimes 10+ seconds.
3) Noisier than it should be: And when connecting and these stops and starts, the cut-off or “cut-on” isn’t always smooth, and is occasionally obnoxious. Not Sonos quality at all.
4) Manually pausing and resuming: When using the pause button icon on the iPhone, it pauses acceptably quickly. But I am surprised that the “un-pause” is longer than I think is reasonable. More than a full second.
5) Also, I suspect the quality of the audio via AirPlay is sub-standard and inferior to using the Sonos app directly, but I don’t have the ear or the vocabulary to describe my concerns. The Sonos quality just doesn’t seem to be as good as usual. Both more noise and inferior quality than the Sonos quality I have known and loved.
Any ideas on how to fix all of this? Or is AirPlay and Sonos just a kid's toy?