Answered

Airplay 2 - Only for the new Sonos One

• 5 October 2017
  • 56 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi
Was glad to hear that you're going to support airplay 2 in 2018. Im just wondering if this will be a software / firmware update that willl work with older speakers, like play; 1, 3 etc. or will airplay 2 only support the new speaker Sonos One?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 October 2017, 01:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Get a Sonos One and then you have ability to play to all your older equipment.

I was a little confused about the grouping. Can anyone confirm if having one speaker in the system even if it is not playing is enough? Or if it has to be either playing or grouped with the speakers you want to airplay to? I'll probably get a ONE for the kitchen, but I don't want to have it grouped with my Playbar. Just trying to understand how this will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It’s impossible to add to those. There is ability to offload processing to a computer with airsonos software to play to any legacy speaker
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
It’s impossible to add to those. There is ability to offload processing to a computer with airsonos software to play to any legacy speaker

Missing the context here. What would be impossible to add to?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Impossible to add internally to gen 1 devices (has to be done by server program external - which Apple doesn’t allow but some have hacked for Sonos). And in particular thinking the boost should be able to decode stream isn’t in reality (it’s a router). Not even the gen 2 devices it doesn’t appear can decode separately from its own processing (like a line input does).

All speculation that any of these devices could possibly do airplay2 on there own is based on absolutely no facts.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ah yes. I agree. To me it's apparent this is not a cash grab by Sonos, they're really trying to extend the new features as far as possible. I just wish that they had been a bit more specific about the method (have new speaker on every group or just one new speaker in your ecosystem, sounds like the former) so I can figure out my setup. I could put Sonos ONEs as rear surrounds on my playbar but then I'd have two Play:1s potentially without airplay...

As for using 3rd party software, I use and recommend AirConnect over Airsonos. The windows build of Airsonos doesn't even work anymore. It's good for single room listening (I like it because it recognizes the stream as music instead of TV), but if you try to do multiroom with non-Sonos speakers, there's too much of a delay (like 3 seconds) because of the required buffering.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it will work just like TV sound into playbar where it is an input but other speakers can’t indipendently access the stream. They have to be grouped to then device. I would be curious if it would work if the sonos1 is a surround and not primary speaker. A lot of questions still as to how will work.