Question

after S2 upgrade, “cannot connect to device”

I upgraded my iOS and macOS clients to S2, which then upgraded my Play 1, Play 3, Play 5 (Gen 2) and Beam.  Now, I can no longer play music on more than one Sonos device.  When I attempt to, I get the “cannot connect to device.  Try again later.” Error message.

This was clearly an S2 upgrade related problem.  Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Nortelfish, welcome to the community!

It’s unfortunate why it’s no longer allowing you to play music in a group of speakers but we need to confirm if you’re using Airplay to play music or in the Sonos app? Try both options if you haven’t tried it. Try a different music source as well and Submit a diagnostic so we can further check it on our side. 

Please reply to this email with the diagnostic confirmation number. Always here to help. 

I am having the same problem.  Speakers disappear every day randomly.  Spotify works sometimes, I can no longer broadcast music from my Samsung smart tv to the house.   All started the day I upgraded to the S2 app.  Please do something Sonos.  There are thousands of complaints. 

Speakers disappearing randomly, and then reappearing is a good sign of duplicate IP address issues, where the speakers are fighting with some other device in your network for the same position in your router. Try a simple network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @RWS234, thanks for reaching out! No worries, I’ll help you with that. Can you please submit a diagnostic first to further check it on our end? Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Speakers disappearing randomly, and then reappearing is a good sign of duplicate IP address issues, where the speakers are fighting with some other device in your network for the same position in your router. Try a simple network refresh by unplugging all Sonos devices, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in. 

Hi @Airgetlam! Totally agree and thanks!

I’ve done that multiple times. In fact, almost every time I want to listen on all of the speakers.  Why would this suddenly change with (forced) switching to the S2 app?  I submitted diagnostics.  Number; 574754712

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I’ve done that multiple times. In fact, almost every time I want to listen on all of the speakers.  Why would this suddenly change with (forced) switching to the S2 app?  I submitted diagnostics.  Number; 574754712

Hi @RWS234! Can you please reply to us with the confirmation number of your diagnostic? Thanks!

It’s at the end of the last message 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @RWS234, can you please try submitting another one? It seems to be invalid. Thanks!

Hi @RWS234, can you please try submitting another one? It seems to be invalid. Thanks!

I am having the same issue when selecting songs from my music library on an external NAS on my network. My diagnostic number is 317193881. Worked perfectly fine before the S2 update. Hopefully, you can look into a fix for this. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @S.SKarn, welcome to the community! Thanks for submitting a diagnostic as well but I cannot open it, maybe part of the issue. Try to reboot your router and submit another diagnostic. Check with other music sources as well and reply to us with the confirmation number again of your diagnostic. Thanks! 

I upgraded my iOS and macOS clients to S2, which then upgraded my Play 1, Play 3, Play 5 (Gen 2) and Beam.  Now, I can no longer play music on more than one Sonos device.  When I attempt to, I get the “cannot connect to device.  Try again later.” Error message.

This was clearly an S2 upgrade related problem.  Help!

Same issues here. And I have had years of issues of my speakers disappearing. My diagnostic number is: 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @User923978, welcome to the community! Appreciate the diagnostic and reaching out with us. Upon checking, yes some of your speakers are struggling to stay connected to your wireless network. Try moving the missing speakers closer to the router to prevent future drops. Also, you can try to hardwire one of the speakers to your router using an ethernet cable. The wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. This article about speakers missing from the Sonos app would be helpful to your concern. Let us know if this helps. Always here to help. 

Thank you for your help. There is one speaker that has completely dropped off too which probably isn't on the report that was sent (we have 4 speakers). 

Unfortunately our house, which is quite small (approx.    1,200 Sq.ft) is spread over three floors and speakers are on two of the three. The router cannot be moved from its location and there is no way to hardwire any of the speakers to it as there are no speakers on the floor where it is. So it's one of those things where the technology does not match how the location has to be setup. It's just food for thought for future investments with Sonos or other wireless speaker companies as some things just aren't meant to be!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @User923978, thanks for getting back to us. I understand that it will be a little harder for you, but if it’s okay just to get one speaker and hardwire it to the router using an ethernet cable for testing purposes. So if it will gonna work, you can check our Sonos Boost that you can permanently hardwire to your router to broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. Appreciate your patience. Thanks!