Answered

After installing new Sonos Beam, the Android app on my phone keeps crashing.

I installed the new Sonos Beam through the latest Android app on my OnePlus Five phone without a problem. Yesterday, suddently, the Sonos app for Android continuously crashes and is useless. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app, but nothing helps.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 30 July 2018, 20:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

That's odd. When you remove the app, are you then rebooting your OnePlus Five completely, or just reinstalling the app?

Which version of the Android OS are you running? Have you tried running a controller on another device in your home, a PC, or another Android device?

It may be best to try to contact Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks for the quick response!

I tried several different approaches to the re-installation process.

1. Uninstall Sonos app. Powered-Off OnePlus Five. Power On. Reinstall Sonos app.
2. Uninstall Sonos app. Re-Boot OnePlus Five. Reinstall Sonos app.
3. Re-Boot OnePlus Five. Uninstall Sonos app. Reinstall Sonos app.
4. Clear Sonos app cache on OnePlus Five. Restart Sonos app.
5. Clear Data of Sonos app. Restart Sonos app.

Each time the Sonos app opens, it either immediately freezes after connecting to my Sonos system (after reinstall), or freezes within seconds of opening to the My Sonos tab with the message "Sonos isn't responding."

This never happened on my OnePlus Five until I installed the Sonos Beam the day before yesterday.

And, in answer to your question about another Android device, yes, I successfully installed the Sonos app on my Fire HD 10 tablet and it hasn't crashed yet.

The OnePlus Five itself seems to have "acquired" a fever after installing the new Sonos Beam.
I have the exact same problem. All worked fine before, but after installing the Sonos Beam, the Android app crashes / freezes immediately after starting it.
I have a Moto G5.
I've got no easy answers, I'm afraid. Might be worth on that second device that is working if you were to submit a diagnostic, and then post the resulting number here, along with number of the OS on your device, so that Sonos can try recreating the problem directly.

JonathanDnl, you might want to also post what OS your MotoG5 is running, and if you have a second device that's working, do the same thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, thanks for the details. One more test, can you please unplug the power from your Beam and then load up the app after a few minutes? Does the app work fine with the Beam unplugged?
It seems that the app works fine when the Beam is unplugged. When it's plugged in again, the app crashes again. I'm running Android 7.0. I have no alternative device available, except a Windows 10 laptop, which works fine.
Also, I have no problems controlling the Beam through the Spotify app.
I installed a Beam last week and I can barely use the app. It crashes constantly. Any other tips besides reinstalling the app? Is Sonos working on a solution?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're experiencing the app crashing when using the Beam it would be best to reach out to our phone team so they can take a look at the issue live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
I have the same exact issue...no beam though. I do have the Playbar, though. Wonder if it's something with the TV connections?
You shouldn't worry about deleting and reinstalling the app. Just be sure to "connect to existing system" when you reinstall. All of your "settings" are stored on the speakers, not on your device (PC/Phone/Tablet), so it won't go away.

And yes, I'd echo Jeff S' recommendation above. Call Sonos!