Advanced eq...

• 31 May 2018
  • 2 replies

I have 3 play1's and 1 sonos1 which controls my set up.... i am so excited about these!!! Great complex sound....crisp highs ,deep lows....i love them!!! I recently bought 2 play5's, looking for something to add to the overall experience and shake my house with a bit morw low-end power....i am sad to say that i am truly disappointed. The sound is very hollow, very unimpressive....

For the price of $500 US dollars each, i was expecting to be blown away, but instead, im feeling a bit ripped off... i think if there was a more complex EQ, instead of just treb and bass, the problem would be solved. I can tell the play5 is a beast of a speaker, she just needs a little help....

So i have 2 questions...

1. Am i using the speaker for something it wasnt built for? Is it not meant to be a stand alone?

2. ANY CHANCE OF GETTING A REAL EQ WITH A FEW MORE CHANNELS?

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 5, like the 3, 1 and One are designed to be stand-alone or paired speakers, or part of a 5.1 setup and I'm certainly happy with them. For folks that want more low frequency power there is the option to add a Sub to the system.

You may want to read the section on TruePlay equalization for your Sonos speakers, a bit of a pain since it requires the use of specific Apple devices but it is available.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Stand alone the Play 5 is good, but if you’re used to anything more than average blutooth speakers itnis not going to blow you away. Once paired in stereao however, 2 play 5s are quite special. As Stan stated Trueplay is worth looking into, especially if the room has a lot of reflective surfaces and / or the placement colours the sound. Putting them on stands makes a difference too i found. Add the Sub and you have a killer setup. Capable of competing in most cases with an amp/speaker setup costing similar money with the added flexibility of witeless!