Answered

Adjustable play speed, 1.25x, 1.5 speed

Userlevel 3
Is there a feature to speed up play? This is a useful and common feature on other podcasts and audiobook apps.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 24 April 2018, 22:57

View original

47 replies

Agreed, wholeheartedly! 

It's disappointing that this is a 5yo request.

Honestly astonishing that this feature doesn’t exist, despite being requested for years. Many podcasts are literally unplayable without this feature on Sonos. I have had Sonos systems for over a decade and have been the biggest booster...I am horrified to find out this is a limitation of the system now that I’ve finally picked podcasts back up.

Get with it, Sonos. We need this feature.

Really need this feature.  I never listen to Audible at less than 1.4x speed.  I don’t understand why it won’t just play it at the speed I started listening to it on Audible, my car does this no problem.

Huge miss without this feature! Definitely need to be able to play audiobook/podcast content at various speeds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos app is just a remote for the speakers. If such a feature is implemented on Sonos, it has to be the system (or an external server) that does the work.

Badge

Adding my voice.…

Variable play speed dor podcasts is a must

If the speakers don't have the necessary compute resources for audio speed modification (I doubt that is the case) consider using the mobile app for transcoding.This does not enable autonomous playing by the speakers, but it is vetter than nothing 

You can do it via a Bluetooth Sonos, roam or move and then link to other devices

Is this feature in the pipeline at all? Podcasts and audio books is a growing part of all streamed sound which you of course know and many people like to ve able to adjust the play speed.

Badge

I’m seriously considering moving to a new system that can accommodate variable speed playback for at least Audible, Spotify, and Pocketcasts. Make this happen or lose me as a customer.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos, please make this feature (adjust playback speed, faster/slower for all devices) available.
Sonos, are you listening to your user base? Its been more than 3 years with no news or information on this feature. 

I shouldn't have to walk around my house playing podcasts on my phone's speaker when I have $2000 worth of Sonos speakers throughout the place.

Get a Roam and/or use AirPlay. My wife uses our Roam to listen to her books, bringing it with her as she moves around the house. She AirPlays to it from whatever book app she is using.

If you don’t want to carry the Roam with you, then you could group the bluetooth audio with the other rooms in your house.

As a general comment on the request though, when listening to audio on a single device, you can download the content to create a large buffer, which makes it easier to play audio at faster speed.  With multiroom audio, one of your speakers/rooms is downloading the audio and then has to share the audio with the other Sonos rooms that it’s grouped with.  A bit more challenging I would think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I shouldn't have to walk around my house playing podcasts on my phone's speaker when I have $2000 worth of Sonos speakers throughout the place.

Get a Roam and/or use AirPlay. My wife uses our Roam to listen to her books, bringing it with her as she moves around the house. She AirPlays to it from whatever book app she is using.

Userlevel 1

+1 how is this extremely basic feature not available? 

Yet another vote to be able to speed up playback through Sonos. Seriously... this can't be that hard. I *thought* I loved Sonos but these small, silly setbacks are starting to add up for me, and I'm considering returning my entire setup for something more modular/adaptable.

Another upvote for this feature request please. Why is this request taking so long- unable to leverage Sonos for Audible or Storytel.

Adding my voice to this conversation. This is really a must-have feature that is available on almost every other platform I use.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That, and Spotify podcasts.

Any news on this? Come on, this is a must. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I've been checking on this feature on and off for about 4 years. Progress so far: nil.

Yeah, this is pretty silly that Sonos doesn’t offer this. It’s big enough of an issue that I don’t want to expand my system until it’s available. Podcasts and audio books are unworkable. 

Yes that will be a great feature as I can’t use my Sonos since the reading is too slow 🐌 🙂

I’ll add another voice needing this feature. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I can only listen to half as many if I’m using Sonos instead of my phone, and I just don’t want to have ear buds in all day long.

Just FYI, Sonos rarely gives out information about what's in the development queue. Features are generally announced when the release date is secure or the day that an update to provide the feature is available.

Also, it may be a good idea to talk to Audible or whatever podcast streamer you use. It may be that they need to provide an option to change the play speed when playing through Sonos, not Sonos itself.

I’d be happy to contact my related service providers (who allow speed variation) if the Sonos service confirmed they were being prevented by those 3rd parties from adding this feature. All I hear is crickets from Sonos and users guessing at the problem. Who ultimately needs to do something to make this happen?  What’s the point of having an expensive home system if using another device and headphones is the only way to listen at the speed you want?

One more vote here.

Can't do Audiobooks, Podcasts etc without this. Will be resorting to competing product which support this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That might be a feature added in after the ‘legacy/modern’ split in May, but I would imagine that Sonos would have to update their API, publish it, and then get the third parties to pull it in to their own server code. I’d imagine it doesn’t exist in the current API codebase.

Sonos could do it today for local files only (at the risk of doubling bandwidth, exacerbating weak wifi connections), but for music service support it would be a notable API change. Few music services support the existing audiobook interfaces today (with 30-second jump and saving location).