Answered

Adjustable play speed, 1.25x, 1.5 speed

Userlevel 3
Is there a feature to speed up play? This is a useful and common feature on other podcasts and audiobook apps.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 24 April 2018, 22:57

View original

47 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Jorts1302. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Currently, this feature isn't available on Sonos. In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for the feedback and keep it coming.
Userlevel 3
Hi Keith,
Any developments in the works for adjustable play speed?
Thanks much,
Tom
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi Tom! Thanks for checking in. No new developments. Just gave this a shot using Direct Control on the Audible app. Got this error message.

Once we get more information I'll be sure to update this topic as well as post an announcement on the Community.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey, Sonos,

Please make this happen already, as it is holding me back from buying further sonos speakers.
Userlevel 2
Another vote for this feature: I use Storytel through Sonos to listen to audiobooks but at regular speed it just takes way too long, my attention drifts because it's so much slower than my own reading speed.
Userlevel 2
Another vote for variable speed playback on podcasts. I would tell your tech team this is table steaks and request they add to your roadmap ASAP. The lack of this functionality will limit adoption and more importantly stop users from expanding their sonos because they will be forced to use alternative bluetooth or wireless speakers to accomplish their podcast playback.
Another vote for variable playback and external app playback interface (casting features). I'm willing to accept a decrease in audio quality to support more features if necessary.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Any updates on this? I am scratching my eyes out at the slow normal speed, and bailing on Sonos for Audible! It’s torture! Let me speed up please!
Userlevel 1
It's been almost a year since this feature request was made here. Yet not one response that this has been put in the development queue, that meetings to plan for it has been held, that research has begun, that any resources have been tapped to actually do something.
When is actual progress going to happen?
Userlevel 1
Am amazed this still can't be done, such a basic feature for any podcast player, come on Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We don't have any updates right now regarding this feature. I'll add your voices to the feature request for adjustable play speed on Audible.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, but important to say that this is not just about Audible, this request is also about the general playback of Podcasts which is via the TuneIn radio function.

Every other podcast player supports a speed adjustment feature, I hope Sonos can catch up soon.

Thanks!
Just FYI, Sonos rarely gives out information about what's in the development queue. Features are generally announced when the release date is secure or the day that an update to provide the feature is available.

Also, it may be a good idea to talk to Audible or whatever podcast streamer you use. It may be that they need to provide an option to change the play speed when playing through Sonos, not Sonos itself.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This feature is a must have for me too. Deal breaker if it's not there.
Won't be using sonos to play podcasts or ebooks. Amazing that this basic feature isn't supported. Lack of variable speed is a deal breaker for me.
It can still be done on iOS devices, using the AirPlay 2 function.
Userlevel 1
This is yet another massive disappointment from Sonos. Especially given they’ve now removed the play directly from iPhone feature.

Not being able able to play back at 1.25x makes the audible function unusable. Back to walking round my house with my phone in my pocket and headphones on while the Sonos sits unused and unusable.

I thoroughly regret ever buying Sonos, it’s been a complete waste of money from start to finish.

The quality of the speakers is excellent but the terrible app wholesale wrecks the enjoyment of listening to music or any kind of audio.

Hey, I want to upvote this feature.

It is impossible for me to listen to an audiobook at normal speed.…

Adding a vote for adjustable speed! Off the Sonos system, I use Audible, Hoopla and Libby for audiobooks, and Overcast for podcasts. ALL of those apps allow for variable playback speed and it is a game-changer! This NEEDS to be a feature on Sonos if I’m going to start using the system for spoken-word content. Until then, it’s Bluetooth headphones for me...

I was under the impression that any speaker system would accommodate variable play speeds as long as the app that is playing the music does.

It’s embarrassing for Sonos that they are not on top of this. My 2015 Hyundai plays at variable speeds..but these speakers do not. I won’t be buying another until Sonos wakes up and fixes this.

Come on Sonos, you can do it!

Or perhaps, you have to do it…

Is there another place where we should voice our thoughts that may help progress the situation? 

That might be a feature added in after the ‘legacy/modern’ split in May, but I would imagine that Sonos would have to update their API, publish it, and then get the third parties to pull it in to their own server code. I’d imagine it doesn’t exist in the current API codebase.

i.e not a quick change to implement, but not impossible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That might be a feature added in after the ‘legacy/modern’ split in May, but I would imagine that Sonos would have to update their API, publish it, and then get the third parties to pull it in to their own server code. I’d imagine it doesn’t exist in the current API codebase.

Sonos could do it today for local files only (at the risk of doubling bandwidth, exacerbating weak wifi connections), but for music service support it would be a notable API change. Few music services support the existing audiobook interfaces today (with 30-second jump and saving location).

One more vote here.

Can't do Audiobooks, Podcasts etc without this. Will be resorting to competing product which support this.

Just FYI, Sonos rarely gives out information about what's in the development queue. Features are generally announced when the release date is secure or the day that an update to provide the feature is available.

Also, it may be a good idea to talk to Audible or whatever podcast streamer you use. It may be that they need to provide an option to change the play speed when playing through Sonos, not Sonos itself.

I’d be happy to contact my related service providers (who allow speed variation) if the Sonos service confirmed they were being prevented by those 3rd parties from adding this feature. All I hear is crickets from Sonos and users guessing at the problem. Who ultimately needs to do something to make this happen?  What’s the point of having an expensive home system if using another device and headphones is the only way to listen at the speed you want?