Adding to queue

Userlevel 2
Badge
Can we please have the option to choose what tapping a song in the list does. It used to be that when I tap the song I would get an option menu to added to the end of the Q, play now and now it just instantly play goes to the end of my queue and start playing that song or worse entire albums. This is crazy. I understand it's because dumb people don't understand how a queue works but it destroys the controller for people that have an idea of what's going on. Please let us choose what happens, i liked the menu but it would be even better if we could choose a default action for tapping song then the three dots gives you the little menu.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Sooner than later please. I have a dozen of these things and plan to buy more but this is the worst.
I sympathize but think it very unlikely that Sonos will budge on this. I got my head bitten off on another thread for pointing this out, but you can get some options by tapping the three dots, not the track name
Userlevel 2
Badge
I know that's a thing but why does everyone beef too have the same thing. Let those people have that as the default and allow us to choose.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We need more noise from people that care to make this happen.
I think that if you spend a little time looking around these boards, you'll find a multitude of threads regarding the issue from "people that care to make this happen".
Userlevel 2
Badge
More the better. Every time i call to complain they satly go here so here i am. This would be a relatively simple request for programmers in engineering department.
Sonos made a very deliberate decision to make this change, which was requested by users who felt differently. On the whole Sonos like simplicity. Options create more scope for confusion. Any option viewed in isolation seems a trivial extra complexity. But then so does everybody else's particular bugbear that they would like to opt our of.

My opinion on this is the same as yours. But knowing the history, and knowing Sonos as I do, i can't see them changing course on this. I hope i am wrong.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'll continue to bother them for it until there is a change or custom software becomes available
I'll continue to bother them for it until there is a change or custom software becomes available

I am 100% in favor of the old queue. However, if anyone keeps pestering this forum with annoying, repetitive posts, you will quickly see me and others sour on the subject. Sonos knows how we feel. No need to pollute the forum with your noise.
Userlevel 2
Badge
That's false literally was told by sonos reps to do just that
That's false literally was told by sonos reps to do just that

You were told to post here. You were not told to "continue to bother them for it until there is a change or custom software becomes available". Post once to let your feelings be known. Discuss it rationally with others. Don't go on a mission by continuously posting repetitive, annoying pleas. That will get old fast, and it turns off those of us who agree with your sentiments, but not your methods. No one likes proselytizing, even your fellow believers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you aren't happy with it them I'm not sure how to advise you. I just want something that I'm willing to post people of for. It's not going to get worse so sorry.
If you aren't happy with it them I'm not sure how to advise you. I just want something that I'm willing to post people of for. It's not going to get worse so sorry.

It's been that way for a year or so. Nobody was more vocal about hating the change than me, but that time has passed. It's not changing, no sense wasting more than a post or 2 on it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Again i think people are taking this wrong. I don't want it back the same way. I want an option buried in the menus to just choose.
People asked for an option the day it came out (actually before it came out, they asked in beta). Obviously Sonos has heard the request.
Again i think people are taking this wrong. I don't want it back the same way. I want an option buried in the menus to just choose.
ISTM that they're rather like Apple - 'the only true way is the Sonos/Apple way' - they make no effort whatsoever to build software that suits any particular user.
Nothing wrong with raising this again and Jgatie is wrong to suggest that people will change their mind if we keep banging on about it. Especially as one of the main threads discussing it has been deleted.
Sigh.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I realise this is probably a dead thread, but I do agree with the OP. Having a default action set by the app for most users is fine and dandy, but an option buried in setting for those who don't LIKE the default action and wish to change it doesn't seem that unreasonable. I personally find it highly irritating that when you want to play one song from an album (I solely stream from my local music collection, so know what I want to listen to from a particular artist), you will add the entire album to your queue unless you use the 3 dots option. It kind of ties in with the whole "app 8.0 update makes us do more taps to achieve the same effect" complaint.

Not sure this makes a whole lot of difference to anything, but that's my thoughts on the matter anyway :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There needs to be a way to lock the queue (party mode). It has been an issue even when clicking on song didn't replace the queue. There have always been way to many ways for people to interrupt or destroy the queue. Sonos though hasn't budged in giving this to us.

All they need is a party mode when selected on by a controller it becomes the master controller. All other controllers can then only add songs to end of queue when they select a song. Resolves a lot of issues with people interrupting the que or adjusting volume etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Locking the queue would be a smart option, but getting the queue controls "right" and having sensible defaults would be a start (limiting user choice is good design, good UI/U design is vital).

Consistency with queue behaviour is not something Sonos does well. We're still working around mistakenly thinking that the design principle is "click on something to play it and do the most sensible default, and the queue lives until it expires", when the reality is a bit different (eg. the useful but shouldn't-be-a-default clicking an album track to "play from here", or the face-palming expired queue "play next" inserting).

Where Sonos are consistent is in keeping the same buttons regardless of context or relevance (eg. "add this existing favourite to favourites" options, or the utterly useless expired-queue "play next" option). Given that there's been little change in the last 18 months, this is obviously not a priority for Sonos. I'd love to have seen the user testing for the v7 release.
I always enjoyed the original 2005 Queue behavior, but this seemed illogical to the ITunes crowd that embraced the “Play from here” model. I never use iTunes because of this behavior. Early on I tried an iPod for a little while, found it to be very hard to use, mostly due to that “Play from here” behavior, handed the thing back to its owner, and never looked back.

“Play from here” makes sense to an album oriented person. I have a friend who views an album as a complete work of art that should be played in its entirety — tracks are meaningless. I, on the other hand, am track oriented and I can’t understand why the unwanted “Play from here” track(s) are always on the front end of the disc.

I’m sure that SONOS has some market research data that convinces them that the Apple interface is the way to maximum profit.

Sure, I can slog through the SONOS options and add my single track to the Queue, but this is more work for me. I do notice that hard core Apple users seem to relish an excuse to stroke their device and don’t mind endlessly climbing down lists of options. I prefer minimum work user interfaces.

By the way, I can use Apple products when necessary. I’m currently typing on an iPad that I had to buy in order to develop some iPad specific applications and I’m too lazy to move to my computer and use a real keyboard. There is zero music stored here. For music listening I use the SONOS controller.