Answered

Adding Line-In to Favorites Menu?

Userlevel 2
I was told to post this in the community. Who do i have to contact to talk about adding an option to add LINE-IN to the FAVORITES MENU

Thanks, Sonos is awesome!
icon

Best answer by KevinGaudin 3 April 2019, 20:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This has definitely been a long-standing request. See this existing topic that is ~4 years old:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-favorites-needs-the-line-in-as-a-selection-its-easier-for-family-5014319
Userlevel 2
Well then they must not be listening if its been over 4 years ... This is an email I got from them... How do you "Formally Request" an idea? I mean i'm no software developer, but I took a programming class back in the day, I mean how hard can it be add a few lines of code that adds an option to go to the favorites section....

""
Hello,

Thank you for your response and taking the time to share your suggestion about adding an option to put Line-In into the favorites container.

Because it does not appear that this suggestion has been formally requested before, I highly recommend posting the idea through the Sonos Community.
Other users will be able to comment and "Like" the topic. Our online community can be found here: http://en.community.sonos.com

We are always looking for ways to improve the Sonos experience, and while we don’t share details of our product roadmap, we regularly pass on suggestions we receive to our product teams.
""

Just seems like something that should have been implemented a long time ago, especially if its been a request for 4 years... just my 2 cents.
Love their product and ideas theyre doing.
" I mean i'm no software developer . . . " - should have stopped there.

As a software developer, I can tell you there is a lot more to this (or anything else done) than a "few lines of code."
And I suspect that the response you received was "Customer Service Letter Response #4 to Feature Requests".

I wouldn't feel badly about that, it's obviously something that they're aware of as a request, I bet the person who sent the email meant to click on letter #3, which probably says "we've heard this before, so thanks for adding your interest. We'll pass on your interest to the developers" or something like that.

I would love to see the backlog of requests on their list. And see if there are any estimates on how much effort is involved with each. And then see how many resources are assigned to that backlog, as opposed to the upcoming features that they've already promised, such as the Amazon/Alexa/Echo integration.
Need this feature desperately. Can't use sonos with smart home hubs such as lutron.
Badge
Ditto, can't use Logitech Harmony properly as it only talks to favourites 😞
Ditto, can't use Logitech Harmony properly as it only talks to favourites :-(
If the line-in hardware device itself, is one which is controllable by the Harmony device, then it can be controlled, if the Sonos line-in, in Room Settings, has an autoplay room set etc.

I’m not sure that Sonos actually needs to add the line-in port to favorites per se, but just simply make it available through the Sonos API to other smarthome devices etc.

Personally, I would prefer to take the 'other route' whereby what I plug into my Sonos line-in is controllable via Harmony, whether that be a CD Player, Turntable, or TV etc; and let it autoplay to the connected Sonos Room and any other rooms that are grouped with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes why can't you have harmony toggle the input device on and off in order to initiate autoplay.
Userlevel 1
Another vote for this. Seems ridiculous we can't access the Line-in via API. There are many use cases where this would make a huge improvement in my home automation system, in ways that Autoplay can't address.
Badge
I can't believe this is not possible.... I thought I would be able to create a scene for my brand new iPort xPress just to have a one-button device to enable TV on my Sonos ConnectAmp (easier for wife and kids) and it's not possible because I can't have the Line-In in my favourites.

This is ridiculously user-unfriendly. 😞
Badge
Yes why can't you have harmony toggle the input device on and off in order to initiate autoplay.

Because I don't always want my TV to go through the Sonos system. Only when I'm watching music-related programs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Several 3rd party apps support making Favorites from line-in sources. SonoPad/SonoPhone/Phonos Universal can all do this.
Badge
Hi there, good news, Sonos devs listened to us ! After an update of my Android Sonos Controller app, I've been able to add my Line-In source to "My Sonos" and use it to create a scene triggered on my iPort xPress ? button.

Thanks team !
Kevin