Question

Adding additional controller to Sonos Play 1

• 18 December 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 18 replies
Hi All, I've been trying really hard but cannot seem to find similar topics or results for my quest. I've only managed to successfully set up after about 3 full reset and about 3hours of my time last night :D
Now that I've managed to set up 1 controller from my iPad, I would like to do the same for my iPhone and Mac but have not been very successful.

Version Unconfirmed - There a problem confirming if your Sonos controller is up-to-date (This msg was on all 3 device, which I managed to successfully get working on iPad now.)

Both other devices, when I reach the step to configure (press play/pause + Volume up) the orange blinking led does not seem to stay long enough before the next step in the sonos app.
By the time Sonos finish configure, its in a white led mode.
iPhone won't find Sonos on wifi via (settings > Wifi)
Mac OS - goes to connecting, does not lose access to my normal wireless network and Sonos turns back to white Led, > Resulting in check light > do you see a steady orange led > returning to set it up via ethernet cable.

I'm guessing it should have been asked a million times but I've really not managed to get any results in search and would like your help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you've managed to set up your system using you iPad then you do NOT need to set up again.

Load the controller to the required device. When you open it select "Connect to an existing system" and you should automatically connect

- Make sure your device is capable of running the latest controller version (https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/software/release/8-2)
- Make sure the device (phone or computer) is connected to the same wireless network as the iPad above
Badge
:D:D I love you Stuart! I did that last night and no matter how i searched i couldn't find existing system!!!!

It was also through searching someone was asking if adding different controllers and you could technically add as new.

Thank you! Saved me hours of trial and error 😳
Badge
Didn't work on my mac. Everything disconnected suddenly..:?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Check your Mac firewall settings as per this article
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2069/~/how-to-configure-mac-os-x-firewall

Have you connected using "Standard" mode? (IE None of your Sonos units are wired to the router and when you set up your iPad controller and Sonos you entered the Wi-Fi details?) - If so make sure that the Mac is connecting to the same wireless network (be sure it is the 2.4 GHz one as well).
Badge
Hi Stuart, my firewall is off. Im running it wireless. They are all on the same 2.4GHz wireless network. I seem to have very intermittent connectivity with the speaker.
Its always white led but my connection from iOS device keeps dropping off and will constantly have trouble connecting. Resulting in the cannot connect to Sonos screen mostly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have Wi-Fi assist on your iPad/iPhone then turn that off -that is known to cause problems

Beyond that you may want to look at interference - Make sure your Sonos isn't too close to the router or your Mac or a microwave or DECT phone or other source of radio interference.
Badge
Hi Stuart,

Nah, I do not use Wi-Fi assist on iOS. Its pretty close to my mac. Will consider options to move it around later. I seem to have very intermittent issues.
It does help if 1 of my iOS is connected and then I can start adding controllers to the network. It could be that I was adding too many at once.
Badge
been trying to add another controller this time for Android... 1hour and counting
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You should y be having these troubles. Obviously your network has some
Issues need addressed
Badge
Im curious. So everything else connects fine. What could I possibly do in terms of setting up or my wireless network to address this?
Im curious. So everything else connects fine. What could I possibly do in terms of setting up or my wireless network to address this?

Depends on the issues. If you are not finding Sonos at all, you may have a dual band router and are connecting to a 5 GHz connection that is not bridged to the 2.4 GHz connection. That would be the first thing to check.