Answered

Add new components to old S1 system after S2 launch.

Once S2 is released, will I still be able to buy new speakers and add them to a legacy system?

I know that every time I add a new speaker to my existing system, it forces me to update every controller and speaker to the latest version before bringing the new speaker online.  (That’s how I lost the ability to use old controllers, even though we don’t use any features that weren’t there 10 years ago.)

It would cost thousands to replace my legacy speakers (that are still working well), and our most common usage case is “party mode” with everything linked together and in sync, so a split system is not appealing.

We’ve been working our way through the facility, buying another speaker every six months.  Do I have to hurry up and buy the rest of the rooms before June? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 February 2021, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Kumar 

I say again that there is no way to update to S2 without the S2 app being downloaded at some point. If you don’t want S2, don’t download it.

@Corry P : I get the quoted - to avoid inadvertent use of the S2 app - but are you saying that if the S2 app even just exists on the device, updating Sonos from within the S1 app will cause the units to jump to S2?! How can one then run split systems???

No. I didn’t even come close to saying this. I was, as I think you correctly surmised, trying to emphasise that if you really don’t want any speakers to run S2, don’t download it. Split systems only operate successfully if after the split is made, all the S1 units and app are reset, so that they then operate on a separate Household ID from the S2 system. This is what prevents each app from updating the wrong system.

@tonvandervelden : I suspect that someone in your place inadvertently used the S2 app, and caused this unwanted “jump” to S2 in your units. Unless, we get a confirmation that just the presence of the S2 app on the desktop is enough to make this jump happen.

I think this too, especially as an S2 upgrade cannot be performed from a desktop controller.

I say again that there is no way to update to S2 without the S2 app being downloaded at some point. If you don’t want S2, don’t download it.

@Corry P : I get the quoted - to avoid inadvertent use of the S2 app - but are you saying that if the S2 app even just exists on the device, updating Sonos from within the S1 app will cause the units to jump to S2?! How can one then run split systems???

@tonvandervelden : I suspect that someone in your place inadvertently used the S2 app, and caused this unwanted “jump” to S2 in your units. Unless, we get a confirmation that just the presence of the S2 app on the desktop is enough to make this jump happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @tonvandervelden 

If you downloaded and installed the S2 app on your desktop and updated your system to S2, then all S1 apps should be uninstalled from all controllers that connect to the system (unless they are used to connect to other systems, in which case you should reset the S1 apps).

Once you’ve updated to S2, if you connect with an S1 app, it will ask you to update. Don’t do this. Remove the S1 app if you update your entire system to S2.

If you are having trouble connecting to Sonos, or one of your apps is always asking for the update, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

“I have the S1 desktop app, and was running a system on S1. The system included several Play 1’s that COULD but dont run on S2. I upgraded the system from within the S1 desktop app and with one smooth and highly frustrating move all my Play1’s were updated to S2 and dropped out of my system.”

just in case this comes up: several users on the system have sonos aps but they all use the Sonos S1 app. So no one could have tried to update the system from an S2 app. 

“I tried to factory reset the Play1’s but when i wnt to add them to the system the software (from my phone, also S1) insists on upgrading them first. which does not work”

the trick seems to be to disconnect all the PLAY1’s before trying to add them back in one by one. 

I have the S1 desktop app, and was running a system on S1. The system included several Play 1’s that COULD but dont run on S2. I upgraded the system from within the S1 desktop app and with one smooth and highly frustrating move all my Play1’s were updated to S2 and dropped out of my system. 

@Corry P : care to comment? I do not see how this can happen to anyone...

An S1 system will not update itself to S2 without you (or someone on your network) installing the S2 app. If you want your system to be in one piece (all rooms available on one app) and you have both S1 only devices and those willing to run on S2, don’t install the S2 app. If you’re willing to have a split system, with some rooms on S1 and some on S2, the upgrade should be done from the S1 app - Settings » System » System Tools » System Compatibility Check. After this, your S1 products will be reset and you will need to setup a new system on S1 consisting only of your S1 only devices. This is so your S1 and S2 units do not consider themselves as parts of the same system.”

in my experience this is incorrect. 

I have the S1 desktop app, and was running a system on S1. The system included several Play 1’s that COULD but dont run on S2. I upgraded the system from within the S1 desktop app and with one smooth and highly frustrating move all my Play1’s were updated to S2 and dropped out of my system. 

still not fixed. 

I tried to factory reset the Play1’s but when i wnt to add them to the system the software (from my phone, also S1) insists on upgrading them first. which does not work. 

gnashing teeth!

Badge

Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check

forces to perform S1 app upgrade to S2 ...

Anyway I decided finally give try to S2 (the real problem is a “one direction try”, because as I read after moving to S2 I cannot back to S1)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @sbtn, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You should certainly be able to add the Move to your existing S1 system. Mind opening the S1 app, and going to Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check > Learn More > Continue using S1 > Confirm?

That should allow you to add the Move in to the existing S1 system - if it’s already been set up using the S2 app, then performing a Factory Reset on the Move should be enough to get it to add to the S1 system.

If you’re still having trouble however, please reach out to our Support Team via either live chat or phone call, they’ll have more tools available to perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

Badge

It seems I have no other chance I will need give try to S2, but I feel a bit cheated by Sonos, which says S1 is still supported. It isn’t, I cannot add new Move spekaer to existing S1 system.

Badge

Update: 
I installed older version of Sonos S1 controller 11.2.2 to be the same version as speakers reported. Now button “Add product” is active, but after clicking on it anyway it forces to upgrade to S2 app from Google Play (headache)

Dear Sonos, you wrote 

“To be clear, if you buy a S1/S2 compatible device (like a Sonos Amp, for example) you can add it to a S1 or S2 system. “

Really? HOW?

Badge

I just bough new Move speaker and want add it to existing S1 system (don’t won’t upgrade to S2), but S1 application forces me to update to S2 (it takes me to Google Play to install S2 app).

Add product option is not available.

I have S1 app version 11.2.5 but existing speakers are 11.2.2 , somebody above suggest it might cause the problem). How to fix it? 
When choosing S1 control app from Google Play it’s says it’s up to date (npo option to update)

I am stuck now with new speaker which cannot be added to existing sonos system (!) :((
Please help, since all this S1 - S2 Sonos issues starting making me very confused.

(I have no speaker which is only S2 compatible and has never update system to S2 or install S2 app)

Sonos support could you please help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Folks

I realise this is an old topic, but it is a popular one, plus there’s been a lot of confusion on this thread so I’ll try to clear some things up for you all.

Once S2 is released, will I still be able to buy new speakers and add them to a legacy system?

Yes, as long as they are not S2 only devices (Five, Sub gen 3, Arc).

We’ve been working our way through the facility, buying another speaker every six months.  Do I have to hurry up and buy the rest of the rooms before June?

No. There’s no hurry. In fact, there’s no need - your system will continue to work on S1 for the foreseeable future, and as you can add new devices, you’re not locked-in either.

Devices that are S1 Compatible only will only work on S1 (it’s in the label). Newly designed devices (currently Arc, Five, Sub gen 3) will only work on S2. See our Sonos S2 Compatibility page for the full lists of devices. All other devices will work on either S1 or S2, and can be moved at will between them, but will need a factory reset prior to being added to either S1 or S2 (the light should be flashing green).

To be clear, if you buy a S1/S2 compatible device (like a Sonos Amp, for example) you can add it to a S1 or S2 system. Devices that already have S2 firmware installed from the factory can be added to an S1 system only if there are existing devices on S1 already. If you do not have existing devices on S1, a product loaded with S2 cannot create a S1 system.

When adding a product to either S1 or S2, the system will update it. It will only update to the most recent version available, so if your system is not up to date, the entire system will be updated. If you are avoiding updates as your controller OS is out-of-date, you will need to update your controller(s) to continue using your Sonos equipment (if you allow the update), or at least to add more units.

S1 and S2 OS requirements for your controllers are the same, and will likely remain that way, though I cannot guarantee this will remain the case going forward - the changes in our OS requirements are often due to the requirements of our music/voice service partners. In addition, it is inefficient to test software on out-of-date OSes that should no longer be in use due to security concerns. Our current controller OS requirements can be found on our Sonos App Requirements help page. Please also check our Unsupported OS Versions page for partially supported OS version that allow you to select and play music to rooms, but not configure your Sonos system.

An S1 system will not update itself to S2 without you (or someone on your network) installing the S2 app. If you want your system to be in one piece (all rooms available on one app) and you have both S1 only devices and those willing to run on S2, don’t install the S2 app. If you’re willing to have a split system, with some rooms on S1 and some on S2, the upgrade should be done from the S1 app - Settings » System » System Tools » System Compatibility Check. After this, your S1 products will be reset and you will need to setup a new system on S1 consisting only of your S1 only devices. This is so your S1 and S2 units do not consider themselves as parts of the same system.

With all that said, I think you will find that S2 is quite good, and continues to get better with every release.

I hope this clears things up for you all. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

My issue is that my S2 iOS app is locating my S1 5’s first and telling me I have to launch the S1 App. So I can not access my entire S2 speaker from my S2 App. During the discussion with Sonos support they mentioned when asked, that I could downgrade all of my S2 updated systems back to S1 by unplugging all my S2 Devices and then individually doing a factory reset and bringing them into the S1 app. I hope this is going to be possible, then at least they can all be on one app and actually accessible. I haven’t tried this yet so I can’t confirm that this actually works. A lot of work. It would have been acceptable to run a spit system, even if not ideal. But if S2 controller won't access the S2 equip it’s useless. My Mac S2 app is consistent in access the s2 components but the S1 mac app won't recognize my s1 5’s at this point. 

See my reply to your other post here:

I recommend using a split S1/S2 system.

My issue is that my S2 iOS app is locating my S1 5’s first and telling me I have to launch the S1 App. So I can not access my entire S2 speaker from my S2 App. During the discussion with Sonos support they mentioned when asked, that I could downgrade all of my S2 updated systems back to S1 by unplugging all my S2 Devices and then individually doing a factory reset and bringing them into the S1 app. I hope this is going to be possible, then at least they can all be on one app and actually accessible. I haven’t tried this yet so I can’t confirm that this actually works. A lot of work. It would have been acceptable to run a spit system, even if not ideal. But if S2 controller won't access the S2 equip it’s useless. My Mac S2 app is consistent in access the s2 components but the S1 mac app won't recognize my s1 5’s at this point. 

SAME with me and my legacy 5x part SONOS System.

The try to FORCE ME TO UPDATE … FiNALLY had to RESET and INSTALL the hole system again..

!!! NEVER AGAIN SONOS !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Today our S1 apps (Android) told us that upgrade to S2 was compulsory as the S1 controller was no longer compatible with our system. Nothing has changed since it worked fine yesterday.

Seems suspicious as OS requirements for both apps are identical. Please post a screenshot.

Today our S1 apps (Android) told us that upgrade to S2 was compulsory as the S1 controller was no longer compatible with our system. Nothing has changed since it worked fine yesterday.

Is anybody else being forced to change? Given negativity I see on S2 stability I am reluctant to upgrade if I don’t have to.

All my devices are S2 compatible BTW

Mike

No, I am not being forced to upgrade my S1 system here. I have a split sonos system with some devices on an S1 Household and some on an S2 Household, both systems are working separately and fine and nothing is forcing me to upgrade, even though I have devices on S1 which are compatible with S2 (such as Play:1’s for example).

After updates I sometimes get a banner message that there is an option to update some of my devices to S2 and a “learn more” link, but I just close that banner suggestion and stick with S1 in the separate Household.

Is anybody else being forced to change? Given negativity I see on S2 stability I am reluctant to upgrade if I don’t have to.

All my devices are S2 compatible BTW

Mike

@Dougal_1, you’re welcome! :slight_smile:

Badge

Happy ending on this one, thanks to two discoveries and help from people on community - importance of making sure that the controller and the speaker firmware are identically-numbered versions ; it’s not enough for both to be 11 - in my case, they all had to be 11.2.3.  

This worked via system and update once I was told that when the iOS update warning said ‘newest system software’ it wasn’t about to force Sonos 2 on me ; on the third attempt I was able to get it to update controllers + speakers all to the same version. Yes, as someone pointed out...it was a version incompatibility problem. I’ll know better next time. Orphaned speakers now...resurrected (mixing metaphors here). Took a while, but finally fixed, thanks to helpful people on the community.

Badge

Controlav - progress report ! And how ! Many thanks for your help and advice ; the root of the problem turned out to be that there was a version mis-match between the controller(s) and the speakers. All are now on 11.2.3, and safely on S1, and I have music etc back in 5 rooms, not four, and a stereo pair (the previously-lost orphans) in the kitchen.  I learned, thanks to you + two others on community in another thread, that you can update within S1 without being railroaded into S2 ; a useful lesson. Thank you so much for advice, patience and clarity. Bye + thanks !

@Dougal_1, as long the Sonos app(s) and the firmware of the speakers don’t match you won’t have full access to settings. And trust me you would want to have access to at least the ‘room settings’.

Badge

Controlav - I bravely / recklessly hit ‘update’ in iOS on IPhone and it tells me no update is needed. Orphaned speakers still invisible. However, I still have music in four rooms, so I may well wait and see what Sonos support have to say ; community advice has been fast, helpful and interesting, though, I must say.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Like I said: without you installing the S2 app (which is called “Sonos” now) your hardware cannot be dragged into S2.