Add iOS VPN Support

• 7 August 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
Ability to support association with devices running an iOS VPN.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

for IOS vpn i have some good recommendations for you i hope you will like it. most of the Iphone users dont know how to install vpn on iphone so here they can learn the setup guide for their best
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
for IOS vpn i have some good recommendations for you i hope you will like it. most of the Iphone users dont know how to install vpn on iphone so here they can learn the setup guide for their best

Why would and what purpose would a VPN help on an iPhone for sonos? Sonos doesn't need a VPN to run its controller or devices so explain the relevance of this post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe the thinking here is that if you are outside your house, you could VPN to your router and control your Sonos system remotely. The issue here probably isn't Sonos being able to support it, but more that most VPN options operate in a different subnet (IP address range) than the home network. Since Sonos makes generous use of broadcast traffic, a different subnet being used will prevent that broadcast traffic from being seen by the controller that is on the VPN connection. Again, this isn't a fault of Sonos, this is just the way most VPNs operate.
I believe the thinking here is that if you are outside your house, you could VPN to your router and control your Sonos system remotely. The issue here probably isn't Sonos being able to support it, but more that most VPN options operate in a different subnet (IP address range) than the home network. Since Sonos makes generous use of broadcast traffic, a different subnet being used will prevent that broadcast traffic from being seen by the controller that is on the VPN connection. Again, this isn't a fault of Sonos, this is just the way most VPNs operate.

My VPN server at my home (OS X 10.11.1) puts my vpn clients on the SAME subnet (192.168.1.x) as the local network (no routing needed) and it still doesn't work. Other "home devices" I own do not have this problem when I vpn to my home network.

I LOVE SONOS and wish they would take a look at this.

Fred
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You'll have to humour me but why? If you aren't in your house why do you need to access your Sonos system?
My VPN server at my home (OS X 10.11.1) puts my vpn clients on the SAME subnet (192.168.1.x) as the local network (no routing needed) and it still doesn't work. Other "home devices" I own do not have this problem when I vpn to my home network.
Your VPN service needs to correctly deal with broadcast/multicast traffic between remote clients and the local network.
As long as the the router supports Multicasting over VPN like my Draytek 2830 does then you can control your Sonos remotely. But only when your iPhone is connected to a wifi network
I have asked support to allow the app to search for Sonos when connected 3G/4G and VPN. Fingers crossed they'll do this on the next app update