Answered

Access to shared folder " \\****** " is denied.

• 29 August 2021
  • 11 replies

I’m having an issue which with the Sonos controller not reading my audio files from my NAS drives; I have had no issue with this until the most recent update version 13.2. Looking on this forum and the wider internet there is clearly been a number of instances of this happening in the past.

So after painstakingly going through as many forum responses as I can I’ve tried the following to no avail:

Removed said folder from Sonos app and tried re-mapping to the library (this is where I’m now stuck as the Sonos App will not allow the folder to be added due to Access to shared folder is denied message)

Restarted everything - Laptop, Router, NAS multiple times.

Turned off firewalls on all devices still no change.

Changed permissions of various folders to allow full access from anywhere, again no change.

Opened a number of Ports on my PC/Router which where suggested by the Sonos help FAQ’s, no change.

Ensured my computer had the correct NODE type set up (it does).

Checked the date and time zone both correct in app and PC, they are.

Alas after going through the above I’m getting to my wits end so I’ve come on here in the hopes that someone may be able to help as its driving me nuts not being able to access a simple folder which has had access for years.

Oh and recent diagnostic report sent, ref number - 1403024293 (for any Sonos reps on here)

And just for ref the controller is installed on a Windows 10 PC, with an external NAS drive connected via Ethernet. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 August 2021, 02:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

What brand/model is the NAS?

Have you checked that there wasn’t a firmware update to the NAS that turned off SMB v1 and/or NTML v1?

NAS Make and Model - Synology DS216

Indeed the NAS has recently gone through quite a large update but I belive that the Sonos was still working correctly post update as i’ve only noticed it since the Sonos Controller went through its update.

SMB v1 is enabled along with SMB v2 also, however I could not find any settings for NTML v1.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, much appreciated.

The solution provided in 

Doesn’t work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BenjK 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The post @Airgetlam linked to above should have your answer, but on other matters I highly recommend you get in touch with our technical support department regarding your Play:5 - it has a fault and we will replace the unit for you at our expense.

Wow how the hell did i miss that post, i must not have been searching specific enough for once. Anyway thankyou very much @Airgetlam that fix was spot on and all is right in the world again. As it would appear it was infact the NAS update not the Sonos that caused this issue and in this case was just a conincidence with the Sonos app being updated at a similar time.

@Corry P is this relating to my submission of the diagnoastic report ? I’ll contact tech support this evening. Thanks very much for the reply.

Thanks again gents really appreciate the help wish I’d posted sooner would have saved me hours of messing around for the sake of one setting tooked away in an ‘advanced tab’ and then an ‘others tab’ of the NAS lol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BenjK 

@Corry Pis this relating to my submission of the diagnoastic report ? I’ll contact tech support this evening. Thanks very much for the reply.

Exactly, yes. You are very welcome!

Have you checked that there wasn’t a firmware update to the NAS that turned off SMB v1 and/or NTML v1?

This worked for me when my Synology NAS drive updated to ver 7.0 recently. The setting NTML v1 was not checked when upgraded, the setting is hidden under SMB, then advanced settings in the Synology drive DSM under menus

control panel > file services >SMB > advanced settings > others >

This worked for me when my Synology NAS drive updated to ver 7.0 recently. The setting NTML v1 was not checked when upgraded, the setting is hidden under SMB, then advanced settings in the Synology drive DSM under menus

control panel > file services >SMB > advanced settings > others >

Thank you for that post :) I update my synology 216j to 7.0 and had the same situation, problem with connecting to my library. Now is working fine. 

Badge +1

I have the same problem…  I could use the media on my media server until the last Sonos update.  Synology DS218+

I am keen to try the fix suggested by @Airgetlam but don’t know how to “check the username or password”. I assume that I need to check those for my Synology DS418play but don’t know whether I should check that my Sonos app has that info correct and, if so, how do I check and fix it? Or do I check it somewhere else?

If you follow the instructions in the linked thread, you’ll be logging in to the Synology software in order to change the settings for NTML/SMB. Once those are properly adjusted, you’d follow the normal FAQ to set up the Sonos library.