Access to music library denied

• 6 March 2014
  • 33 replies

Not an initial setup -- I've been using Sonos on a Mac and iPhone for weeks, now the Mac controller is being denied access to the iTunes music library. Problem started after I installed the most recent Mac update (10.9.2) on the laptop. I've checked permissions, removed and tried to re-add the library, restarted router, etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I'm having the same problem. Just bought an additional Play 3 and play 1. Very frustrated. Tried everything that was suggested in these posts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your frustrated with the PC not connecting - - I would call Sonos on the phone and let them deal with it.

I long ago went to an NAS drive attached to router vs. trying to keep all files on my desktop. So I don't run into these firewall type issues.
Thanks for quick response and suggestion. Emailed sonos support, but wanted to get this fixed today. Part of frustration is lack of 24/7 phone support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for quick response and suggestion. Emailed sonos support, but wanted to get this fixed today. Part of frustration is lack of 24/7 phone support.

Hi WTNorman1,

Are you running Windows 10? If so you may need to enable SMB 1 sharing. To do so, head into the Windows control panel, choose programs, and then turn Windows features on or off. Here you should be able to check the box for SMB 1.0/CIFS.

If that doesn't do the trick, please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Badge
Same thing happened to me. Updated OS to Mojave and started getting "Denied" music.

Fix: Remove the music library folder from preferences then add again.
Every time I use Sonos to play music from the library on my Mac (High Sierra 10.13.4) i get access denied. I delete the library from Sonos and re-add it, and its fixed. But I have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME I USE SONOS !!! It is so irritating.

I have even done a manual chmod 777 on all files in the entire Music directory tree and that doesn't even work.

When will Sonos issue a patch where they simply verify the app has read access rather than some bizzarre ACL that only Sonos can set or see ?

It really makes Sonos worthless.
Perhaps if you were to submit a system diagnostic, Sonos might be able to see what issue you're running in to.

I'm willing to bet that there's a virus program that's blocking access to your music library, but all of that is delineated in the FAQ anyway.
Submitted 1054660113. The "Submit diag" link was broken in previous posts. I do not have any anti-virus running apart from standard Mac OS. Previous posts suggested stopping all file sharing, but that is not an option either. It's like "Stop using gasoline and your car won't have problems".