Access to music library denied

• 6 March 2014
  • 33 replies

Not an initial setup -- I've been using Sonos on a Mac and iPhone for weeks, now the Mac controller is being denied access to the iTunes music library. Problem started after I installed the most recent Mac update (10.9.2) on the laptop. I've checked permissions, removed and tried to re-add the library, restarted router, etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello User431290,

After an operating system change you do need to remove and re-add all of the shares that computer has to your Sonos system as the computer would have removed all of those settings. It sounds like you've already done this though, did you get an error message when you added the library?

There is a guide here which can help adding that library, please follow the steps here.

Can you please submit a diagnostic from your system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Thanks.
Mine does the same despite my firewall being off. My music is stored on an external drive connected to my computer and it still denies access. This Sonos is proving to be more trouble than it's worth. DISLIKE!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Mine does the same despite my firewall being off. My music is stored on an external drive connected to my computer and it still denies access. This Sonos is proving to be more trouble than it's worth. DISLIKE!!!
Hi Jill,

We're happy to help get that sorted out. Have you tried the steps in that guide? Are you able to submit a diagnostic from your system and send us the confirmation number?

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge
Mine works in all rooms but one. In my kitchen it says "denied access" to music folder, but in all other rooms it works. My kitchen is the newest playbar. Other rooms are old components.
I have been having a similar problem. I just updated my controller to 5.1.1 and running on OS X Mavericks, and ever since I could not access my iTunes library. I've had my Playbar for 6 months with no problems, but the update seemed to cause some interruption. I rebooted my wifi router, my Sonos Bridge, and my PC, but got no further. No firewall, checked sharing / security settings, and even the Computer Name it was accessing. Nothing has helped. PLEASE ADVISE  
I'm having the same issue. My two Connect Amps work but my Playbar can't seem to play music from my Music Library on my Mac.
Hey Andrew - Just spoke with a rep. 

Go to Sonos preferences, then the Date and Time tab. From there make sure everything is configured correctly (time zone, time, date, etc). It was something to do with the latest updates between the two where the time and dates needed to match with the Mac. Expect a hotfix soon - but that is honestly the weird quick fix. Let me know
I'm having the same issue. My two Connect Amps work but my Playbar can't seem to play music from my Music Library on my Mac.

Go to Sonos preferences, then the Date and Time tab. From there make sure everything is configured correctly (time zone, time, date, etc). It was something to do with the latest updates between the two where the time and dates needed to match with the Mac. Expect a hotfix soon - but that is honestly the weird quick fix. Let me know.
Can't believe it but that actually fixed it. Good thing I spent all that time fooling around with my settings.

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad that worked for you Andrew. That hotfix actually should be out now too. But if you're having trouble or anything else comes up please let us know.

Thanks
I have followed the same thread.  I have used Sonos with my mac without problem for years.  I have now upgraded both the Mac and to Yosemite.  I get the message trying to play access to library music denied'.  Why is this? All of the fixes above have not helped.
Thanks
Susan
Hi Everyone, I'm having the same problem and checked that time and date both automatically synch with the internet.  Does anyone have any other solutions?  Thanks,  Tony
PS  This happened after I upgraded to Yosemite as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're having trouble with the music library following an operating system update it's a good start to remove and re-add your music share. This page has some great steps to start with toward getting this resolved. You can also use our OS X specific sharing help page found here.

I'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic for you as well if you can submit a diagnostic and reply back here with your confirmation number.

Thanks
I've had the same problem after updating to the newest version. For me, renewing the 'shared music' information was sufficient to resolve the problem. (Manage > Music Library Settings > Music Library). Hope it works for you too
Userlevel 2
Hi- Thanks for this. I just submitted a diagnostic (4682133). I have iTunes pointed at my share. I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times. Some tracks play, some tracks say share denied. Please advise, thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ajeuretig,

Are you trying to share off of a USB drive connected to a Time Capsule or an Airport Express? If some of the songs from there play fine, but others give that permission or connection issue error it could be a latency or issue with the drive itself. Have you tried sharing the music right from your computer instead of the router?
Hi- Thanks for this. I just submitted a diagnostic (4682133). I have iTunes pointed at my share. I have uninstalled/reinstalled several times. Some tracks play, some tracks say share denied. Please advise, thanks!

I have the same issue, the itunes purchased ones seem to play ok, any other music purchased outside of this I get the denied access issue? They are all installed in the same folder (itunes/music) and itunes plays them all OK? Need this issue fixing please asap its very frustrating.
Badge
I had the same issue: no controller (Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone) could connect to the media server (Mac Mini through an Airport Extreme Base Station) with "Access Denied". I tried all of the solutions I could find on this support site. Having enjoyed access to my SONOS system for over a year, then randomly unable to connect to the media server because of Denied Access?

The solution was to RESTART the Airport Extreme Base Station.
Made no difference to me. All the date and times were correct and I'm still getting the access denied message. :-? Rubbish!! I've reset our internet and unplugged the Sonos chub and it's made no difference. Do any Sonos representatives check threads? Can you help please?

Go to Sonos preferences, then the Date and Time tab. From there make sure everything is configured correctly (time zone, time, date, etc). It was something to do with the latest updates between the two where the time and dates needed to match with the Mac. Expect a hotfix soon - but that is honestly the weird quick fix. Let me know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Made no difference to me. All the date and times were correct and I'm still getting the access denied message. :-? Rubbish!! I've reset our internet and unplugged the Sonos chub and it's made no difference. Do any Sonos representatives check threads? Can you help please?

Hi User276765,

The access denied error usually means that the security settings on your computer have changed and that your Sonos system no longer has access to your computer's shared files. There are a few things that could cause this, from operating system updates to changing account permissions. To understand why your Sonos gets this message I would like to see some data from your system. Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit reports.
I am receiving this error now as well. I am logged in to the computer where the music is stored in the music library. I am the administrator. The folder is shared with full permissions to everyone. I sent the diagnostics.

Your confirmation number is: 6187422
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am receiving this error now as well. I am logged in to the computer where the music is stored in the music library. I am the administrator. The folder is shared with full permissions to everyone. I sent the diagnostics.

Hi Drew,

Do you have another computer on your network with the same name? If you have another compute with the name "kelt" it could cause this error as there is no share set up for Sonos on that computer. In this case it would help to rename either the computer with the music share for Sonos (and then remove and add the music share back), or to rename the other computer.

If you don't have another computer with the same name, it may help to delete the Sonos user from your computer's user list, then remove the music share and add it back. This will rebuild the user permissions on the share and may help.

Hi Drew,

Do you have another computer on your network with the same name? If you have another compute with the name "kelt" it could cause this error as there is no share set up for Sonos on that computer. In this case it would help to rename either the computer with the music share for Sonos (and then remove and add the music share back), or to rename the other computer.

If you don't have another computer with the same name, it may help to delete the Sonos user from your computer's user list, then remove the music share and add it back. This will rebuild the user permissions on the share and may help.

I actually deleted the Kelt folder. That is a NAS drive. I am able to add that back on, but I wanted to serve the music from the Windows 10 PC in my office. Ther are no duplicate computer names on my network. I was able to add it to the computer, by telling it to look for a network device, even though it is the local computer
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I actually deleted the Kelt folder. That is a NAS drive. I am able to add that back on, but I wanted to serve the music from the Windows 10 PC in my office. Ther are no duplicate computer names on my network. I was able to add it to the computer, by telling it to look for a network device, even though it is the local computer

Hi Drew,

Adding your Windows share as a network share would allow you to define the user name and password. It's possible that there was an issue with the Sonos user permissions created by the local share. It sounds like things are working though, let me know if you run into any more issues.