Question

A/V Receiver with Sonos surround units

Userlevel 2
Hi,

I am in the midst of building out a Home theatre setup and like many would like to reduce the number of wires in my living room.  I currently have a PRIMARE SPA 22 A/V receiver (http://www.primare.net/assets/_managed/cms/files/SPA22usermanual.pdf) and also a pair of JM Lab Focal front speakers both of which produce exceptional sound. I would like to know whether it is possible to use my existing 2 channel setup with the PRIMARE SPA 22 A/V receiver but introduce a centre channel and 2 rear surround channels all connected to the A/V receiver so that I can have the A/V receiver pushing the sound from a BluRay movie/player to the the Sonos components and the 2 Focal speakers.

Thanks,
M

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Manu,

The Sonos home theater setup includes a PLAYBAR as the center and front left/right channels, with a Sonos SUB and rear surrounds (PLAY:1, PLAY:3, PLAY:5 or CONNECT:AMP) as optional additions for full 5.1. They won't bond with your existing receiver and speakers.

The CONNECT could work with your existing receiver to stream the Sonos sources into it. You'd be able to group those speakers with your Sonos players too, but not in a surround environment.
Badge
Hello, I have a denon av receiver and was wondering whether I'd be able to hook up the sonos devices to my av receiver ? And if so what would I need?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can turn your Denon AV receiver into a Sonos full unit by hooking a Sonos Connect to your AV receiver.  This allows you to play Sonos music on your existing Denon system.  It will also allow you to play existing equipment hooked to your AV receiver (such as CD player, TV, DVD, etc.) through any wireless Sonos speakers in your house.

Note:  What you can't do is put some wireless Sonos speakers in place like rears and have them syncd up as surround speakers from your Denon.  There is only 1 way to have home theater sound through the wireless speakers and that is the Playbar front (3s or 1s rears).  Without this setup wireless speakers will just be stereo speakers outputting sound sent to them.
Badge
Oh right ok so basically you would need to have the playbar and 2 front 1's and 2 rear 1's as well as the sub to act as a surround sound system...do they stream in tru hd do you know ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Play at is center, left and right. You don't use other speakers for front just the surround. What is fed into the playbar at has to be Dolby digital 5.1 or stereo. So if you have blu ray player it needs to transcode finds 5.1 unless your TV does.
Badge
My denon receiver decodes 5.1 surround sound so will this be suitable to decode 5.1 surround ? Can I use 1's or 3's as front speakers though if I wanted to ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can not use Sonos speakers as channels from the denon receiver. Your denon receiver has wired outputs to wired speakers for your 5.1
Badge
Oh right okay....so basically the setup would be just the playbar sub and 2 1's or 3's using the sonos connect ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Oh right okay....so basically the setup would be just the playbar sub and 2 1's or 3's using the sonos connect ?
No you don't need the sonos connect to set up 5.1
Badge
Sorry I thought you said I needed it to connect the sonos speakers to my denon av receiver
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your playbar sub and 1's/3's would be a zone of Sonos. Then yes if you wanted to make your denon receiver in another room a Sonos unit then a connect hooked to it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm assuming you are going to have your denon receiver in one room with a connect hooked to it. Then the playbar system hooked to a different TV playing surround for it. M The connect hooked to your existing speaker setup means you can play the same thing in both rooms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No never said that. Why don't we start with this va hypotheticals. You currently have a denon 5.1 system with wired speakers. What are you trying to accomplish and what rooms do you want to be able to listen tonsonos music in?
Badge
Yeah....basically my denon receiver is in my lounge currently and what I was hoping to do was use a connect and add the sonos speakers to it as a replacement for my current wired setup
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
if you want wireless surround it would be replacing your current system. That would mean taking the denon out of service and replacing with a playbar. The playbar does the surround decoding (but only Dolby digital so you need to look at your sources if that is going to work for you). A lot of considerations in replacing a current working 5.1 system. What is your TV. Does it pass did 5.1 though it's optical. What devices are currently Hooked to your denon receiver. A lot of things to look at.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is there a reason you want to get rid of the wires your current setup has?
Badge
Just wanted to go wireless really as it's less wires hanging around...I no Bose do a surround sound kit so that may be worth considering if it will work with my receiver
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I dont know of anything that would make your current receiver power wireless speakers in a 5.1 system (certainly not bose). . Only way would be if it's a new denon with heos built in to it and then there may be chance denon heos speakers would do what you want (but I don't think so)
Badge
Ok mate I may look into it.....thank you for your help though I appreciate it
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just as a reminder. A connect hooked to your existing denon will allow it to play sonos music wirelessly from the Sonos app.
I believe this user is trying to do what I am trying as well.

I have a complete system and I want to be able to stream audio (music, cable tv, dvd, etc) from my current AV receiver to a sonos device (in my situation a connect amp).

Is there something I can hook my current AV receiver into that will stream that out put to my sonos devices? My assumption was that you would have a sonos device with an AV input that would then stream that input to the sonos network.
I have a complete system and I want to be able to stream audio (music, cable tv, dvd, etc) from my current AV receiver to a sonos device (in my situation a connect amp).
Can you run an RCA cable from your AVR to the CONNECT:AMP? It does have a Line-In.

Is there something I can hook my current AV receiver into that will stream that out put to my sonos devices? My assumption was that you would have a sonos device with an AV input that would then stream that input to the sonos network.

There's the CONNECT. As well as offering a Line-In it is of course a Sonos Player, so could stream content to your receiver as well.

If you simply need to get an audio feed wirelessly from the AVR to the CONNECT:AMP, check out Audioengine.

Can you run an RCA cable from your AVR to the CONNECT:AMP? It does have a Line-In.

AVR is in the living room while the connect amp is in the garage. Running a cable kind of defeats the point.

If you simply need to get an audio feed wirelessly from the AVR to the CONNECT:AMP, check out Audioengine.
This exactly. Looking at audio engine, it seems to be a different Sonos like company. Am I missing something?
This exactly. Looking at audio engine, it seems to be a different Sonos like company. Am I missing something?
Audioengine are more of a complementary outfit. I was thinking of their W3 Wireless Audio Adapter, as a means to pipe lossless audio from AVR to CONNECT:AMP wirelessly, assuming you didn't want a CONNECT.
You can turn your Denon AV receiver into a Sonos full unit by hooking a Sonos Connect to your AV receiver.  This allows you to play Sonos music on your existing Denon system.  It will also allow you to play existing equipment hooked to your AV receiver (such as CD player, TV, DVD, etc.) through any wireless Sonos speakers in your house.

Note:  What you can't do is put some wireless Sonos speakers in place like rears and have them syncd up as surround speakers from your Denon.  There is only 1 way to have home theater sound through the wireless speakers and that is the Playbar front (3s or 1s rears).  Without this setup wireless speakers will just be stereo speakers outputting sound sent to them.