A linux controller is needed.

Userlevel 3
A linux controller for the Sonos system is really needed. A basic controller shouldn't be that hard to create, so even if the userbase is smaller then for Windows there shouldn't be a cost-reason to not do this. The strength of Sonos is ease-of use, and a user that -for instance- prefers Ubuntu will be left to use his/her phone.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

+1

I use linux at work and really need this!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
+1 for an offfical linux or web controller. For now I'm using this on mint and arch https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/linux-linux-linux-linux-linux-linux-linux-6764091/index1.html
Has there every been an official or even semi-official word from Sonos support about the lack of a Linux controller?
6.0 and 6.3 neither one works with playonlinux/wine, are there other dependencies that should be installed other than dotnet40?
I don't think 6.3 is working with playonlinux/wine, but thanks to this link posted by Le3eVolfoni I was given insight to samba and possibly able to add music library in Virtualbox, It has at least found the library and is currently updating, that's huge progress for me.

Thanks

Hello,

I wrote a tutorial on how to install the Sonos controller and access the musical library under a linux OS (the tutorial is for Ubuntu but works for any distro I saw so far)

Here is the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/757969/how-can-i-install-sonos-on-ubuntu/757970#757970

I hope it helped.
I'll be trying 6.3 in playonlinux shortly after frustratingly not being able to get it to find my library running it in a virtual machine.

I'll try to remember to post whether I'm successful.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I can confirm that 6.2.2. works with Wine (installed with crossover)
Badge
+1 for a native Sonos controller in Linux (Ubuntu).
Sonos Controller works in wine again. I installed version 6.2.2 in the latest Crossover Linux (15.1.0) on Fedora 22 and it works great. Installed into a Windows XP bottle along with Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and Microsoft Core Fonts.
Hello,

I wrote a tutorial on how to install the Sonos controller and access the musical library under a linux OS (the tutorial is for Ubuntu but works for any distro I saw so far)

Here is the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/757969/how-can-i-install-sonos-on-ubuntu/757970#757970

I hope it helped.
Badge
I'm also moving away from Windows platform. I don't like where M$ is going with windows platform. So now I'm forced to use android app on my phone, which I do not like very much. I miss shuffle button on play menu and I'm always looking for it.

With so much open source application that run on all platforms it's hard to understand why no support from Sonos. Guess there is no good competition for Sonos to look into this segment of users. :S
I bold a sonos controller for Ubuntu phone, touch and desktop for release >= 15.10. The controller doesn't handle services like Spotify, deezer etc... It handles only radios and share music index. It is licensed under GPLv3

http://janbar.github.io/noson-app/index.html
Userlevel 2
Badge
Web interface and/or dedicated Linux desktop controller desperately needed. When I bought into Sonos I purchased a dedicated controller and definitely not a requirement to have any relationship with Apple, Amazon or Google. As the dedicated controllers don't last forever (I've had replacements due to touch screen problems) and are no longer produced and Microsoft have gone down the Google route of private data slurping with the latest version of their operating system, I'll need to know that I can still control the system in the future without unwanted intrusive third party involvement . Or at least make the Android app downloadable directly from the Sonos website and with no requirement to be logged into Google or Amazon. Otherwise I'll no longer be recommending Sonos to people and I'll be dumping the kit whenever the controller dies.
+1 on a deb/rpm for linux.
Yet another +1 for Sonos Controller for Linux, please. I have about £10,000 of Sonos products, all working beautifully on current Mac system, but am moving to Linux for security reasons (as are many others) I would really like to be able to continue to use my Sonos system on Linux!
Having just bought a pair of Play 1s really surprised and disappointed there isn't a linux controller. Poor from Sonos. Will have a look at some of the 3rd party ones I guess.
Yes, please!
In 1994, when I first started using Linux, I could see why companies would imply "its not common". I've been linux only for over 11 years. All my kids know is linux. Schools are even teaching open source at this point. I did delay my purchase of Sonos choosing to run some Outlaw wireless transmitter/receiver that sounded great but was quite complicated (think, not-so-wife friendly). Its been 3 years and I finally decided to give Sonos a shot and it sure would be nice if Sonos either supported one of the open clients in an official capacity, or create one. The initial 2k for the bar/sub/ and 2 play1's was a start. With a Linux client, will get me to buy for the rest of the rooms too. 😃

Best wishes,
Nathan
I am a Sonos newbie (relatively). I live in a hybrid environment in which I run Linux (because I need a serious compute platform), Windows ( because I often need to) an Android phone, my wife and children have Apples and IPhones. We have some Sonos kit, but we find that we can take control of each other's music streaming - a serious bug in my opinion - and there is no support for Linux. So like the rest of you I raised the issue.

I got this from Sonos this morning (I raised the control issue separately).

At this moment in time, Sonos cannot be run natively on Linux, or, through WINE. It is missing some system DLL's which are not available through WINE.

We do have a ongoing discussion regarding this at the following community link, some people have been finding unofficial workarounds, and although we cannot support you with unofficial software, it would be worth a look if you have good knowledge of the OS.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/a-linux-controller-needed-4745924

The official statement on this however, is that Linux is not currently supported.

That means that I can't play my Linux playlists through my Sonos system. Acoustically I like Sonos, although it isn't the greatest, but as I have to replace my hifi system after a flood I was considering spending a deal of cash on a full-house Sonos system. Neither technology, ears or wallet are convincing me that I should go that route. A Linux (preferably Ubuntu) system would go a considerable way towards convincing me and probably many others who live in a hybrid environment.

Does anyone know why the DLLs aren't available in WINE and what they are?.
I would love to see that Sonos at least summaries any findings on this forum for Linux users to get started, if at all possible. I tried installing the Windows version using the PlayOnLinux/Wine approach but failed, due to Sonos.exe not locating a core DLL for some reason.

Needless to say, I agree with a lot of the people on this thread - Linux and especially Ubuntu and its forks are getting more and more used all around us. At private householda and at enterprises (especially startups) Linux is used. I would expect Sonos to at least acknowledge Linux and its users on the download software pages, with an official statement on its plans for support or a reason why this is not being actively developed.
"Linux is not commonly used in household environments"
Sure, not yet - but with Steam OS and Canonical / Ubuntu driving the development of solid graphics drivers and better home entertainment UI's, we are only a year or two away from seeing Steam Boxes and Ubuntu-based media PC's replacing DVD players and digital / cable boxes. Don't look at the market NOW, look where the market it GOING TO BE. Don't get left behind - you've got the best networked hifi system in the world in your hands, and you're going to struggle to get a UI for linux that matches your standards if you don't start a basic development of it now. Pick a team of your top 3 linux geek devs and let them tinker away for a couple of years, and when the market is ready you can put the polish on their interface and release it.

I'm not even convinced of the truth that it's not commonly used in household environments. I just think the majority of users are pragmatic and have other devices around that they use in stead. It's certainly true for a dozen (approx.) households I know.

I'm just deeply offended by the Sonos parasitic nature of being willing to use it as the basis of making their money but not give back to the (by linux desktop counter project numbers) about fifty million users around the world.

As someone who writes cross platform tools professionally it is also a pathetic cop out on Sonos's part in that using cross platform tools such as Qt and writing standards compliant C++ you can support multiple platforms with one code base.
"Linux is not commonly used in household environments"
Sure, not yet - but with Steam OS and Canonical / Ubuntu driving the development of solid graphics drivers and better home entertainment UI's, we are only a year or two away from seeing Steam Boxes and Ubuntu-based media PC's replacing DVD players and digital / cable boxes. Don't look at the market NOW, look where the market it GOING TO BE. Don't get left behind - you've got the best networked hifi system in the world in your hands, and you're going to struggle to get a UI for linux that matches your standards if you don't start a basic development of it now. Pick a team of your top 3 linux geek devs and let them tinker away for a couple of years, and when the market is ready you can put the polish on their interface and release it.
HI all For a 'normal' user this chrome app works: - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sonos-controller-for-chro/cojfokmeikpnickdpoopoockilamcmoc?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon And for the more technically people: - https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-web-controller I use them both 🙂
Userlevel 2
There is a working controller, it doesn't come from Sonos (shame on you!), though. If you install the Kodi media server (most Linux distros have pre-packaged binaries available in their software shops/repos), it comes with a sonos add-on. All you need is to activate the add-on, configure it in a couple of very simple steps and then lean back and enjoy. The add-on does not fully replace the sonos-controller, but most basic functions are covered. A few nice extras include the download and display of artist biographies and  slideshows.  If you decide to use it and find it does the job well, spread the word.

I tried it, and it is not a viable solution in my opinion - Kodi is not ideal for use on the desktop just the way it was designed, and the Sonos add-on only supports one device, which is a very specific use case. I have 7 Sonos devices, so just controlling one is almost useless.
Userlevel 2
I just moved to Linux as my only desktop system and am also disappointed by the lack of options with my existing Sonos products - at least the Windows controller should work with wine, as it did with older versions of the software, which shows this is not impossible, Sonos is just not putting any ressources in this at all.

There may not be an overwhelming amount of people who use Linux desktop systems - but these are the customers Sonos would want to attract: mostly tech-savvy and interested in tech products, and usually they counsel their friends and family on what to buy when it comes to technical equipment. It seems really shortsighted to just ignore such a segment of your consumers, and the opinion of Sonos is suffering more and more because of it - I don't need a mandatory software update every 3 months with neglible "improvements", which is always a pain, I would much rather have a stable reliable software for all platforms.