A fix for missing lock screen controls for some iOS users

• 3 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Sonos is getting a lot of grief about lock screen controls disappearing with the update that supports Airplay. But at least part of the problem falls back on Sonos based upon the following observations.

After installing a Sonos Beam and updating my iOS apps, my lock screen controls disappeared on my iPad (but not my iPhone.) I read community posts and Sonos statements and was confused. Sonos said that Airplay devices in my home (other than Sonos devices) caused the problem. But I don’t have any Airplay devices other than a new Sonos Beam.

Here’s what works for me to restore lock-screen controls for an iOS devices:
1. Go to iOS settings and select the Sonos app.
2. You will probably find the “Lock Screen Controls” in the ON position.
3. Toggle the setting to OFF.
4. RESTART your iOS device.
5. Return to iOS Settings and select the Sonos app.
6. Toggle the “Lock Screen Controls” back to the ON position.
7. The Sonos lock screen controls on my device are now restored!

I’ve had to take these steps on both my iPad and iPhone. The sad part is that the fix above may only last a day or two then I have to repeat this process. Sometimes the fix only lasts an hour. Sonos, can you help? Why is this fix only temporary?

Perhaps Sonos is assuming that all of the lock-screen grief that they are getting is from users who own Airplay devices. It looks like they introduced a problem of their own making that is within their domain to fix for those of us who do not own a non-Sonos Airplay device. Does this make sense?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Didn’t work I’m afraid. Still no lock screen controls.
This is the most significant step backwards I could imagine in terms of user experience for iOS users. The impact on my enjoyment of music in my house is significant and had surprised me. Ease of use has gone from amazing to annoying. I know it sounds dramatic but it's just how I feel.
Restarting my phones restores controls.. but sometimes only for a matter of minutes. What gives? This is VERY frustrating.